For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

2 posters

The Day Is Getting Better

Blake Harding
    Blake Harding

The Day Is Getting Better Empty The Day Is Getting Better

Post by Blake Harding Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:07 pm

*** Harding Law ***

Blake tapped the tip of his fountain pen along the edge of his desk trying to work out his next move with the Benson case. A high valued client of his father's that had been passed down to him, another test to see if Blake could handle the pressure of running Harding Law when the time came for his father to step down.

But no matter how many times Blake voices his concern that he was not ready and he didn't want that kind of responsibility as his age, his father disagreed. Slamming the folder closed on his desk and dropping his pen, he reached for his cup of coffee and sipped slowly on the warming liquid.

Groaning as he heard his speaker phone buzz "Mr Blake. You have a guest requesting to see you. A Miss Stackhouse. Should I send her in?"

Blake paused and froze, nearly spilling his coffee down his shirt. "Yes. Send her in" he instructed and let out a breath ending the call.

Sookie was here. How did she find him?
    Sookie Stackhouse
    Sookie Stackhouse

The Day Is Getting Better Empty Re: The Day Is Getting Better

Post by Sookie Stackhouse Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:22 pm

She fidgeted with her dress, smoothing it out and reaching up to fix the collar; she had on a simple blue and white dress that came to her calves and had a small collar, with a pair of white heels and her matching blue purse. It was an outfit that she had eyed for a while, and finally decided to buy after much debate, but had yet to have the right occasion for it.

"Right this way", the lady said as she lead her to a door. She opened it and motioned her in. Sookie gave a nod and a smile before saying thanks and slipping into the door. And slipping is exactly what she did.

"Oh," managed to say as she took another step and tumbled to the floor. Her purse fell in front of her, a tampon, lipstick and other miscellaneous things falling out and scattering across the floor. She winced when her knees and hands hit the ground, and fought against the curse that slipped from her lips. She looked up at him bashfully and gave a soft, embarrassed smile.
    Blake Harding
    Blake Harding

Post by Blake Harding Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:29 pm

Blake had stood from his chair as he straightened himself out, running a hand through his hair. Reaching into the drawer and pulled out a minty mouth spray and squirted a few times to freshen his breath.

His heart pounded in his chest as the door to his office opened and Sookie appeared in front of him.

When he saw her stumble and fall to her knees he was not there quick enough to prevent her fall. Hurrying around his desk and hurrying over to her he bent down and grabbed hold of her arm "You okay? Sookie?" he asked her again "Do you require medical attention?" he asked her as he began quickly checking her over.
    Sookie Stackhouse
    Sookie Stackhouse

Post by Sookie Stackhouse Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:34 pm

She blushed as her dress rode further and further up her leg; she hoped he didn't notice that she had a run in her stockings. Just what she'd need after making a fool of herself.

"I'm fine. Really," she said softly before gripping his hand and standing slowly. She let go of his hand quickly and used it to fix her stockings before smiling at him again.

"I hope it's okay that I came to see you. I was out seeing the sights and saw your building. Thought I would drop in and see how you were doing," she said quietly before moving to sit in the chair across from his desk. His hair was slightly ruffled, and he smelled like mint. It was a comforting smell that she liked; his shirt was unbuttoned at the top and his tie was slightly loose, looking as though he had fixed it in a hurry. Another grin came to her face as she watched him watch her. She hadn't felt like this in a long, long time.
    Blake Harding
    Blake Harding

Post by Blake Harding Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:43 pm

Helping her to her feet he watched her attentively, his eyes following her every move. Once making sure that she was settled safely in the chair opposite his desk he moved back around to sit in his own chair, leaning forward on his forearms listening to her explain why she was here. 

"Please. No need to explain. You are always more than welcome here at Harding Law" he smirked before his face pinched together "Sorry, bad habit. My father sort of drummed that into me" he smirked. 

Blake could not keep his eyes of Sookie, the way that she moved, the way that she acted. She was different that anyone he had ever met before "Can I get you something to drink? Tea? Coffee?" he offered.
    Sookie Stackhouse
    Sookie Stackhouse

Post by Sookie Stackhouse Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:53 am

She chuckled at his words and gave him a small smile while rubbing her knee; she'd have a rug burn there for sure when she got back to the house.

At his offer for something to drink, she nodded and gave another smile. "I'd like some sweet tea if you got it."

As he started pouring something to drink for the both of them, she watched him and took in everything about him. His hair was slightly disheveled, like he'd been running his hands through it a lot that day. And he had a slightly strained look on his face. Raising a brow, she spoke again. "Are you having an okay day, Mr. Harding?"
    Blake Harding
    Blake Harding

Post by Blake Harding Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:27 am

"Sweet tea it is" he grinned as he stood from his chair and moved across the room to a small cabinet in the corner of his office and poured some already made iced tea. A favourite of his. Pouring two glasses he returned back to his desk and placed a glass in front of her and returned to his seat.

Sipping slowly on the tea he kept his gaze on her "Please. Call me Blake. Mr Harding makes me sound like my father" he chuckled "It's getting better now" he flirted cheekily "My father wants me to take over the business in a few years so he is giving me case after case" he shrugged slightly.

When he could see that she was staring at him sipping her tea "I'm sorry, I don't mean to bore you with this" he blushed.
    Sookie Stackhouse
    Sookie Stackhouse

Post by Sookie Stackhouse Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:28 am

She shook her head and laughed before taking another sip of tea and sitting it on the coaster in front of her. In truth, she had been distracted by the smirk on his face when he said his day had been getting better.

Bill hadn't been gone long. Neither had Alcide. So the attraction she was having for this man was not something she needed. Not right now. But she couldn't help it.

She grinned at him again. "Well, I'm glad that I've made your day better, Blake. And if I'm being honest, you've made mine better, too." Her hand absently played with a bit of hair that had fallen from her ponytail while the other fixed the hem of her dress. She could feel his eyes on her and she felt nervous... almost like a school girl with a crush.

A light blush crossed her face and she coughed a tiny bit to clear her throat. "The tea is real good."
    Blake Harding
    Blake Harding

Post by Blake Harding Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:20 am

Blake grinned "My grandmother's secret recipe. I would tell you, but my mother would probably break every bone in my body if I told anyone" he joked.

Raising his glass to his lips he drained the rest of his sweet tea and returned the glass back to his desk, his fingers interlacing at the rested on the edge of his desk.

"So how are you enjoying Chicago? Sam may have mentioned that this was your first time in the city?" he quizzed her with curiosity.

Truth be told he was more than curious about Sookie. He wanted to know more.
    Sookie Stackhouse
    Sookie Stackhouse

Post by Sookie Stackhouse Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:54 pm

She chuckled and nodded her head.

"I totally understand that, Blake. My Gran would do the same if I were to give away her recipe for fried chicken. Lord knows she had that perfected. I was lucky enough to get it a couple months before she...." She cleared her throat, "before she passed away." Tears welled in her eyes and she brushed them away with a bashful chuckle. "Sorry. It's just still sorta raw that she's gone. I miss her every day."

Clearing her throat, she sipped her tea again.

"And yes, this is my first time in the city. I haven't really been out of Louisiana or Texas. I been to Mississippi, too. And Vegas, but I don't like talkin' about that." She shook her head, remembering what had happened when she was there and shivering. "Anyways. Enough about me." She laughed. "Tell me about yourself, Blake."
    Blake Harding
    Blake Harding

Post by Blake Harding Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:17 am

"There isn't much to know" he paused with a smirk "I'm the oldest child, three brothers one sister. One who lives with his wife in the UK. I have travelled quite a lot because of my mother and father. I guess there is not really much to know about me, I'm pretty much an open book. What you see if what you get" he grinned.

When Blake could still see her tears brim her eyelashes, he opened his drawer and pulled out an embroiled handkerchief with the initials 'BH' in fancy lettering and handed it to her.

"The people we love never really leave us. I mean, just because we can't see them or hear them. Doesn't mean that they are not there" he assured her with a soft and genuine smile.
    Sookie Stackhouse
    Sookie Stackhouse

Post by Sookie Stackhouse Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:40 am

She nodded and dabbed at her eyes with the handkerchief he gave her before wringing it around in her fingers and meeting his gaze.

"It's just hard. She raised me. And now Jason... Well, he's all I got left. I've lost... everyone." She shook her head and dabbed at her eyes once more before laughing.

"Look at me. Dirtyin' up your handkerchief with my make-up and cryin'. Lord in Heaven." She chuckled again and started fiddling with the piece of cloth, her fingers running over the embroidery. "I've only got the one brother. My Gran raised us, like I said. My parents... They were killed when I was younger. But I think it's for the best. I found out some things not too long ago, and realized that they weren't good people. No matter how much I wanted to believe it. Now my Gran on the other hand." She shook her head and laughed. "She was a special, special woman. The world lost a good soul when they lost her."
    Blake Harding
    Blake Harding

Post by Blake Harding Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:55 am

Blake listened to what she had to say about her family, her parents, her brother and her grandmother "Love makes us do strange things Sookie. We might not want to believe it or want to hear it. But in the end I guess it is up to us to decide if we want to accept or reject it" he countered.

To everyone outside of these four walls people might believe that he had the perfect family but it was far from from perfect. If anything else it was as strange as you could get, but they were his family at the end of the day.

"And we are never truly alone. I mean, there physical bodies may be gone. But they are still here with us" he paused and held a hand over his heart "And we are always with them. Just because we can't see them doesn't mean they aren't watching over us. Guiding us in what we do. Love is a powerful thing, death is just another part of making that love grow stronger" he ended with a soft smile.
    Sookie Stackhouse
    Sookie Stackhouse

Post by Sookie Stackhouse Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:26 am

She watched him, tears welling in her eyes again at his words.

"You've a way with words, Mr. Harding," she said softly before squeezing his handkerchief tight again and putting it on the table. She smiled at him and shifted in the seat.

"I was wondering, do you have a restroom in here? I just want to go and powder my nose a bit."
    Blake Harding
    Blake Harding

Post by Blake Harding Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:41 am

"Just out the door and to the left" he indicated and stood from his chair and walked around his desk "I'll show you" he offered with a bashful grin.

Waiting until she was on her feet, he placed his hand on her lower back and guided her to his office door. Opening it he nodded to his assistant as he then turned his attention back to Sookie

"Just through there. I just need to handle something" he smirked and turned back to the front desk.
    Sookie Stackhouse
    Sookie Stackhouse

Post by Sookie Stackhouse Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:31 pm

She nodded, hiding the shiver she felt go through her body when he touched her back; his hand was large, and warm, against the thin material of her dress and she could feel it all the way to her very core.

"Thank you," she managed to get out through dry lips and a parched throat. She followed the path that he had pointed to and made it to the bathroom without incident. As she went in, she closed the door behind her and let out a breath before closing her eyes and leaning against the door.

What was she doing? Why was she feeling like this? For goodness sake, Bill had just died and so had Alcide. She really was a trollop, just like all the ladies at Gran's church had said! She sighed and moved away from the door, going to stand in front of the sink and putting her purse down. She leaned on her hands against the tile and looked into the mirror, frowning at what she saw. Circles were under her eyes, dark against her pale skin. She pushed back from the counter and reached into her bag, grabbing her powder and applying it softly under her eyes, nodding and smiling happily when she looked less tired. After making sure any stray powder was gone, she grabbed her hot pink lipstick from her purse and applied it to her lips, pursing them and making a small kiss sound as she did so.

"Much better," she thought before running her hands through her hair and grabbing up her purse. She was going to get through this without making a fool of herself. And come hell or high water, she wouldn't give in to the pull that he had.

No. She wouldn't.
    Blake Harding
    Blake Harding

Post by Blake Harding Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:12 am

Once Sookie had entered the bathroom Blake had turned his attentions to his receptionist "Marie. Check my diary, do I have any other meetings this evening?" he asked as he leaned across the counter.

Marie clicked on her mouse several times before pulling up his schedule for today "You have Mr Bellingham at 2:00. And a meeting with the partners this evening at six" she told him.

"Could you please call Mr Bellingham and re-schedule for 1 and cancel the meeting with the partners and please give them my apologies. Re-schedule for tomorrow morning" he requested with a broad smirk.

"Of course Mr Harding" she beamed back proudly and began doing what he had requested.

With everything re-scheduled and things going his way, he turned to see Sookie emerge from the ladies room, she took his breath away.
    Sookie Stackhouse
    Sookie Stackhouse

Post by Sookie Stackhouse Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:33 am

She walked out of the bathroom, feeling ten times better than she had felt when she went in... only to stop when she came out and saw Blake standing there across from her.

A memory flashed through her mind of a book she had read.

Mr. Grey will see you now
    I exercise control in all things

She shivered a bit and felt her face flush as she looked back up at him.

"Sorry if I took too long. I just had to fix my make up and... stuff."

She couldn't tear her eyes away from him; from his head to his well polished shoes, he was perfection. She chewed on her bottom lip lightly before taking a step back towards his office. "Did you want to continue our talk? Or are you busy?"
    Blake Harding
    Blake Harding

Post by Blake Harding Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:40 am

Blake craned his head over his shoulder to see the way that she looked. Perfection, like he was looking at an angel. With his schedule now clear "I have had to re-schedule a meeting but...." he paused as he could see the curiosity in her eyes.

"There is a lovely Italian restaurant...Would you like to have dinner tonight?" he suggested "I can show you around?" he asked
    Sookie Stackhouse
    Sookie Stackhouse

Post by Sookie Stackhouse Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:27 am

The grin that sprang to her lips gave away her excitement, and happiness, that he had asked her.

"If... If you're sure. I mean, I don't want to intrude on your plans or anything. You didn't have to cancel the meeting because of me." She cut off her sentence immediately and chuckled again.

"Sorry. I babble when I'm nervous." She cleared her throat and nodded as she took another step towards him. "I'd be honored to go to dinner with you. And for you to show me the sites. I don't know if I'll be back up this way again for a while."
    Blake Harding
    Blake Harding

Post by Blake Harding Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:54 am

"Great" he beamed "And don't worry about it. I am due some time off, it may be the only time I do get off" he grinned and ran his hand through his hair.

He could already feel the eyes of his assistant burning into him, but he chose to ignore it as he focussed on Sookie. 

"Well I might have to make another trip to Bon Temps" he suggested
    Sookie Stackhouse
    Sookie Stackhouse

Post by Sookie Stackhouse Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:18 am

She blushed again and laughed softly while nodding her head.

"I think I'd like that, very much in fact."

She grinned again and stepped towards him. "When were you wanting to go? Tonight? I'd like to go home and change if possible. This isn't quite suited for a date. Not that I think this is a date..." She stuttered and blushed, again. Why was this happening to her? Normally she was confident around men. But he had her all aflutter.
    Blake Harding
    Blake Harding

Post by Blake Harding Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:32 am

"Tonight if that is suitable for you?" he spoke softly adding a hint of joy behind his words "A date it is Miss Stackhouse" he grinned raising her hand to his lips and gently kissed it.

"And you look lovely" he added "If you would like I can have a car brought around to take you back to Sam's?" he suggested.

He cast a quick glance out of the large window and could already see the sky beginning to darken "I trust this weather about as much as I trust a lawyer" he joked.
    Sookie Stackhouse
    Sookie Stackhouse

Post by Sookie Stackhouse Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:46 am

She chuckled at his joke and blushed as his lips pressed against her hand.

"I.. I'd like that, if you don't mind."

She had ridden in a taxi to get here, and would have to ride back in one in order to get back to Sam and Nicole's house.

"I really, really appreciate this," she said softly as she linked her arm with his. "I definitely didn't want to walk back to the house in this. It's gonna pour, I can smell it!" She said with a laugh.
    Blake Harding
    Blake Harding

Post by Blake Harding Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:24 am

Blake turned around to his assistant "Marie. Have Marcus bring the car around to the front. Tell him to take Miss Stackhouse any where she would like" he requested of her.

Marie simply nodded and picked up the phone to call Marcus to make the arrangements. Returning his attention back to Sookie.

"Marcus is my driver, he shall take you any where you need to go. I would drive you back myself, but I am afraid that I have meeting" he silently grumbled to himself.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:21 am