For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

Gumbo for the soul

Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Gumbo for the soul Empty Gumbo for the soul

Post by Sam Merlotte Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Sam wiped down the bar and noticed a decline in the customers tonight. It had been pretty busy the last few nights but on slow nights like this he knew he could close early and not worry about losing money. If anything he was saving money on electricity not having it open with no customers. Doing just that, he ordered a close early and Lafayette poured the remaining gumbo into a smaller pot. It was enough for thirty more servings. -Hate to waste it all.- Lafayette set it down on the counter and went back to cleaning the kitchen as Sam thought about what he could do. An idea struck him and he smiled. -Hey Lafayette, can you lock up? I have somewhere I need to be.- It was only ten at night, maybe it would still be open.

He drove over to the local soup kitchen and walked in, luckily someone was there. -Excuse me, can I speak to someone in charge of the kitchen??- The man stood and offered his hand.

"That'd be me, I'm sorry but we're closed sir. You can come back tomorrow for some food." Sam chuckled and shook his hand and then shook his head. -Oh no, sorry I'm not here to eat. I run the bar Merlotte's and I have extra leftovers from the night that I'd hate to waste. Do you think you could use it? Maybe even supply you with some food on certain nights?- The man was almost taken aback with shock by his offer.

"Well, Sam...er Mr. Merlotte. I really appreciate the offer, of course I'd have to clear it with the owner, I manage the place but I think we could. What is it?"

-It's about thirty servings of Lafayette's famous gumbo.- His eyes widened and licked his lips. "We have a fridge we can set it in until tomorrow, heat it up and serve it to the first thirty. I appreciate it and I'll have her contact you about the food donations." Sam nodded and went out to get the gumbo, brought it in and shook his hand again. -Have a great night.-

"Oh you too Mr. Merlotte, thanks again."

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 pm