For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

Too Young

Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry
    Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry

Too Young Empty Too Young

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:14 pm

I was serving beer and burgers at Merlotte's on a typical Wednesday night, everything seemed to be going smoothly. No Maxine, No Hoyt, No Jason. The best night this week. Christian had left a note for me saying that he was going out and he'd be back, which in a way startled me. Where had he gone? And more importantly why? I decided not to think too much on it since it was getting a little weird with him around. He always watched my every move when I was home almost like he was studying me.

With vampire hearing I caught the conversation of the two women in a far off booth. I hated to listen in but I couldn't help it.

"It's progressed, but it's okay. I'm a fighter." She sniffled as she told her friend the news. Her friend grabbed her hand and looked at her sympathetically.

"It's okay, we'll fight this together." The woman tried to look positive and nodded. My curiosity got the better of me and I had to know what was happening. She stood to go to the bathroom and I followed her. Once we were out of sight from everyone, I smiled at her and she smiled back meeting my eyes.

"What's your name?" I asked as my influence began to take hold of her.

"Teri.."

"What has progressed? Why were you upset?"

"My..cancer. It's spread and the doctors aren't giving me a good prognosis. I just want to live, have a family, grow old with someone. Guess I'll never know." She said with this somber mood and tone. I felt my heart break for her. That's everything I wanted but she couldn't have it because of cancer. It wasn't fair. She was young too...way too young to die. I could tell by looking at her that she was one of the sweetest women I'd know or meet. I looked around and blinked.

"You're a vampire aren't you?" She asked curiously. I just nodded and waited for her to freak out or something. She smiled and took my hand at which I freaked out almost. Looking at her wide eyed and on edge. "Sorry, I don't mean to startle you. I didn't think I could startle a vampire. I'm not afraid and glamour doesn't work on me because of the medicine I take." She grinned and pointed to her head. "Perks of cancer up there I guess. But don't worry I won't tell anyone."

I practically gaped at her. "Who are you? I mean...why are you so nice...I'm a...Mo--"

"You're just like everyone else to me. You're the girl who smiles even though people are mean to her, you're the girl who tries to make the best out of the life she was given. I've heard stories you know, this is Bon Temp. You were turned against your will and at an early age. I couldn't imagine what you're going through."

"Bu-But..you...you're so sick, you're going through so much more." I felt the red tears brim my eyes and quickly took my hand from her to wipe them away, looking around. "Can we...talk outside?"

She smiled and nodded, following me outside the back exit. I turned to face her and my heart was overcome with so much pain for this girl who was so full of life and it would be taken too early because of something out of her control. I didn't think, I just acted.

"Please...just, drink. I mean it heals the practically dead I don't see why it couldn't cure you?" She chuckled softly and shook her head.

"Oh dear girl, your kindness will always be remembered, but I can't. If I'm meant to go, I'll go happily and watch over my family for years to come. In Heaven there will be no pain."

I didn't know this girl, but I felt so much love for her already. Anger too that she was so stubborn. "Please...you're meant to live. You're too young, too nice. There's so much more you have to accomplish." I could tell she wouldn't, she was too humbled for it. "Please at least try?"

She hesitated and I got the feeling like she was scared for the hope only to be snuffed out by knowing it had no effect. My eyes pleaded with her as the crimson tears fell from my eyes. "Don't make me force you. Please, just...drink. Live your life and be happy. Meet someone and fall in love, have babies. Do what I can't, let me live vicariously through you." My words were beginning to get to her as she looked down and fiddled with her hands.

"To help you, to give you a sense of peace I'll try once. No hope or expectations." I quickly bit my wrist and offered it to her, watching her suck slowly almost afraid to take too much.

"Thank you Teri....I want you to live. Just knowing you for a moment has changed my life, knowing you forever....would be the greatest gift you've given me." She licked her lips of my blood and smiled.

"I'll forever be in your debt." I shook my head.

"That's where you're wrong. I'll forever be in yours for the light you've given me in my darkness."

With that I turned away and rushed off, having to make a trip to see my mother and Eden even if it was only for a moment outside and they didn't see me. It made me realize...how much you can't take life for granted even as an immortal.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:53 am