For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

Remembering Our Mother's

Bill Compton
    Bill Compton
    King
    King

Remembering Our Mother's Empty Remembering Our Mother's

Post by Bill Compton Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:39 am

"Come on out Sophie. It's time to go to bed....Come on Sophie...please"

"N-No......No.....N-No"

"Come on Sophie. It is past your bed time"

"N-No......No.....N-No"

"Sophie. I will not ask again...Come out from under the bed!"

"N-No......No.....N-No"

Bill could hear all the commotion from upstairs...again. This was Sophie's second night at the mansion and she was not adjusting well, occasionally calling out for Mel at her bedtime. Bill felt for the girl, he truly did, Sophie had become attached to Mel in a new mother figure since the death of her mother.

"I WILL NOT TELL YOU AGAIN SOPHIE. COME OUT FROM UNDER THE BED NOW!" a member of his staff yelled out at Sophie.

"N-No......No.....N-No"

That was the last straw for Bill, he sped from out of his office up the grand staircase to the guest room that had been transformed into a room fit for a young Queen.

Remembering Our Mother's Images17

Bill appeared at the door of the guest room to find a member of his staff man-handling the little girl as she screamed at the top of her little lungs as a man he did not know the name of scrapped as he pulled at her leg in attempt to pull her out from underneath the bed.

"Release her!"

The man released her leg, suddenly alert that he was here. He stood up from the floor as he saw Sophie scarper further underneath the bed.

"Leave Us" Bill ordered as the man did what he was told and retreated out of the room, leaving only him there.

Bill slowly entered the room, heaving the sniffling from Sophie. He had not really spent anytime with the little girl, knowing that he was the reason that her mother was dead. He crossed the room to the edge of the bed, sank down to his knees raising the sheets from the bed off the floor so that he could see more clearly.

"You can come out now...He is gone"

Sophie raised her eyes from the floor, her eyes swollen and red and she looked at Bill and did not say a word.

"I promise...I will not hurt you" he said softly as he offered his hand to her. She seemed to hesitate a little before accepting his hand and shuffled out from underneath the bed "There we go...Now that wasn't so bad now was it?" he smiled gently as Sophie wiped her tears on the sleeve of her gown.

Sophie did not respond but seemed to understand him as she now sat herself on Bill's lap, her head resting on his shoulder as she clutched her tattered old teddy close to her chest.

"Are you sleepy?" he asked softly.

Sophie gently shook her head, but Bill could see that she was starting to loose a fighting battle for her to stay awake.

"Alright" he said quietly in a hushed whisper as he scooped Sophie up into her arms and nestled her in her bed, pulling the pink duvet up to her chin. Tucking stray locks of her hair out of her face. Bill climbed onto the bed so that he was sat up against the headboard her legs resting on one another as Sophie lay next too him.

"I lost my mother too....A long long time ago" he whispered, almost hearing the voice of his mother as she too sat next too him when he could not sleep. Remembering the song that his mother would sing for him when he was a young child "Your mommy loved you very much"

And with that Sophie sniffled again as she sat up a little in her bed and rested her head on the side of Bill's hip, her small arms draped over his lap. Bill smiled a little as his hand ran gently through his soft golden hair. He could hear her still trying to fight against her tiredness; Bill remembered what that felt like when he was a child.

"Go to sleep my baby. Close your pretty eyes. Angels round about you" he paused "Peeping at you from the skies..........Great big moon am shining" he paused again, he could almost hear his mothers angelic voice in his ears "Stars begin to peep. Time for little picaninnies to go to sleep. Time for little picaninnies to go to sleep"

Bill listened out, her breathing had become shallow and low...She was asleep. Bill smiled as her continued to run his fingers through her soft hair. She had yet to speak to him, but this was the first step forward. Maybe it seemed that this visit wasn't as bad as he had thought it would have been. Silently...he thanked his mother.

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:39 pm