For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

4 posters

Sorrow and Hope

John Quinn
    John Quinn

Sorrow and Hope - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorrow and Hope

Post by John Quinn Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 pm

He reached out, taking the knife.

"I have to be."

He opened the pouch laying the pendant on his chest. He lifted the knife above him with his eyes closed.

Clotho
    Figlia del destino
    Chiedo a voi ora per l'aiuto.
    È necessario il vostro regalo
    Il tuo talento richiesto
    Andiamo ora alla mia chiamata.
    Un dono del sangue
    Propria essenza di vita
    Offro a voi
    Con la mia umile supplica.

Clotho
    Daughter of Destiny
    I call to you now for aid.
    Your gift is needed
    Your talent required
    Come now to my call.
    A gift of blood
    Life's own essence
    I offer to you
    With my humble plea.

As he spoke the last words, he slashed the palm of his hand, grabbing the pendant and holding it up, feeling the pendant heat up as it absorbed the blood.
    Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:48 pm

She reluctantly gave him the knife, now curious as to what he was going to do with it. Nodding, she stepped back and watched him. Her eyes widened when he slashed his palm and she went to say something when he began chanting. The smell of his blood...it didn't have the same effect on her, maybe because it was different?

She listened and looked around not really knowing what to do or say to what he was doing, all she could do was watch. Her jaw dropped when the blood was absorbed by the pendant and blinked a few times when her back hit the wall. She hadn't realized she had been backing up. "Qui...nn....What....are you doing?" Who was he summoning now?
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:58 pm

He gritted his teeth against the pain, keeping his grip on the pendant.

"Gambling on Fate."

He closed his eyes again, holding Arabella's hand with his free hand.

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:13 pm

Gambling on fate...that said a lot, wasn't that the truth. Gambling these days for her only made her realize that luck wasn't on her side. She saw him clench Arabella's hand and looked away, unsure if she should stay or not. He asked her to stay but things had changed, there was more at stake now. More than his own life. She smiled softly and remembered the night she first met him, thinking he was an arrogant asshole who only wanted to make Kiara's life miserable. It was then she remembered that he always put the lives of the ones he cared about before his own. It was a commendable trait, but also a reckless one. That was John Quinn, though. She was enveloped in her own thoughts of the past and oblivious to what was going on with Arabella and Quinn, frankly she didn't want to watch. It was still too painful.
    Clotho
    Clotho

Post by Clotho Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:37 pm

*The huge BLT was mocking her with its bacony smell and her taste buds were on full alert as she grabbed the sammich with both hands. This newest baby in her womb was a ravenous nommer, for sure. Taking a huge bite, she'd barely had time to savor it when the summons came, causing her to gasp as her entire body shimmered and pulsed with sweeping purple flame*

"Quinn!"

Gwen, sitting across from her, quirked a brow, gently shushing Bastian and Kane as they both growled low, half rising up from where they were both resting. "Mum? What's wrong?"

Setting the sandwich down, the baby Fate rose up quickly. "I'm being summoned Gwen. If your father or Lexi asks when they return and I'm not here, just let them know I'm fine. I'll be in Louisiana."

Gwen's eyes gleamed. "Ah, THAT Quinn. Okay, mom. Just be careful...you know how wonky your powers are when you're preggers"

Smiling fondly, she touched the girl's cheek. "I know, gatakimou..I  love you."

Disappearing on the last word, she honed in on John's essence and followed it, materializing next to him and quickly taking in the scene, swirling eyes locking with first Jessica's, then the dark haired Arabella before craning her snowy head back to blink at Quinn, hearing his last bit about gambling on Fate. A quick flash of tiny, curved fangs gleamed. "Always place your bet on Fate....and you will win. Now..." quick furrowing of icy brows "How may I serve you, my Lord Tiger...."

Trailing off, she took a good look at him, her anxiety deepening. "What's wrong, John?" He didn't look right, he looked....weak. He could hide it from all but her....*
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:43 pm

Quinn felt her presence before seeing her. He opened his eyes to see her shimmer into existence. He could not help when Arabella's jaw dropped. He looked weakly up to Clotho and tried to smile.

"It seems my thread is growing thin, My Lady Fate. My progeny and I have both come to a moment of crisis and I must ask you a favor, My Cloie. You gave me a gift some time ago to aid me, but I must ask you for more. My Arabella is more important than anything to me and I cannot let her pass while saving myself. I must ask you to allow your phoenix to help her as well."

He looked into Clotho's eyes, opening himself to her gaze.

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:56 pm

She looked up when something different entered the air. Her mouth fell open as she looked at the beauty before her. Fate....had a name? She watched as they interacted like old friends and had not one word to say, she was speechless. He asked her to make the phoenix help Arabella as well. Phoenix? Was that the pendant? She had so many questions but held them in as she ping ponged back and forth looking at them.
    Clotho
    Clotho

Post by Clotho Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:06 pm

*reading Jess's mind, she gave a rueful chuckle*

"Fate indeed has a name, akribos. Mine is Clotho. But there are two more like me as well. Well, not like ME...but I have two sisters, Atropos and Lachesis. And yes, we are VERY real..."

*smiling quickly at Jessica's wide eyed look, she turned her gaze back to Arabella as John spoke, his words husky, sincere. She didn't answer at first, merely moved closer to Arabella and reached out a tiny hand to stroke her brow, a tender look sparking in her violet eyes.

And still the moments passed with no speech from her, the air was palpable with expectation and tension. Drifting back to John, she stood before him, spreading her arms wide in a supplicative gesture. She let him see her eyes shift from purple to silver....to a glowing, eerie white.

"If I grant you this, it will come at a price. Your fates will be forever intertwined on a level deeper than blood. After this, you truly will be as her Maker. Her pain will be your to feel, her burden will be equal as she will feel yours. You will be responsible for her as her maker.It is within my power to give you what you ask, but you must be certain that you understand the price you both will pay. One last thing, My Lord Tiger, You will regain your natural gifts that were lost but will loose something else in the bargain. You will regain your ability to shift but will never again be able to watch the sun rise. Some are born to sweet daylight, and some are born to endless night. So shall it be with you. Knowing this, do you still ask this of me?"
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:11 pm

Quinn was silent, thinking what the cost was. He could not say no. He nodded, smiling at Arabella.

"I agree to your price, My Lady Fate. I will surrender what I must so that balance is maintained."

He crushed the pendant in his hand, freeing the constraints on the energy within release, waiting to see what would happen.
    Clotho
    Clotho

Post by Clotho Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:32 pm

*the moment he crushed the pendant, a great energy blasted the room. The others felt it but it only affected the small Goddess whose voice cried out in a strange, musical language. A sweeping rush of flickering flames began at her feet, licking up her body and burning the airy fabric of her gown in its wake. The room exploded in supernova of radiance, waves of violet and silver bursting so brightly that Quinn, Jess and Arabella had to squeeze their eyes shut against it...

And when the noise and furor dimmed...there, where the Fate had stood, was the elegant and regal Phoenix, its twittering feathers mixed of swirling lavendar, ice and mercury. Huge, white eyes blinked, a thin sheen of tears filling them, but not falling. The soft scrape of clawed feet brought it closer to Arabella, letting out a soft cry that John seemed to understand. It had him holding the half conscious, horribly ill female up slightly, as in offering to the legendary creature.

Keening a soft cry in thanks, the Phoenix turned its majestically plumed head and leaned low over Arabella's face, blinking..once, twice....three times. With each blink a tear fell into the woman's open mouth, sliding down her throat effortlessly and as they did, a light humming permeated the room, soothing and melodious. Another moment passed as light, brighter than any sun, began to glow in prismatic glory along the vampires skin, sparkling along her form in radiant bursts. With each one, the dark lines dimmed, disappearing altogether a moment later until at last, Arabella lay restored once more.

Cawing again, one ruffled wing sweeping back, the Bird moved closer to John this time, nodding at his hands. Waiting until he gently released Arabella, the Phoenix then made a motion with both wings and the Tiger nodded, cupping his palms as she tilted her head once more, blinking a few more times until the rippling iridescence of its tears pooled. Watching as he brought his hands up to his mouth and swallowing the tears down, the Phoenix sang again. The song was haunting, hypnotic and mysterious. Another bolt of lightening exploded....

...and back once more was the baby Fate, smoothing her hands down her Grecian gown, resting lightly on the small bump of her belly as she beamed cheekily at Jess, Quinn and Arabella.*

"And that is how this Fate rolls, my friends."

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:39 pm

Her eyes widened into the size of saucers as she answered her unspoken words. A mind reader and a fate...an actual fate. Wow...she listened to the price that it would cost him and gasped. Looking quickly at Quinn when he accepted, she stepped forward and shook her head. "Wait...wait! I...what if I...could I pay the price for him? Banished to eternal darkness..." She lowered her eyes and then looked up at Quinn. "I can't allow him to never see the sun again." It was all her fault this had started any way, because of her blood. She didn't say that out loud then quickly remembered she could hear, kinda like Sookie. Oh, creepy.
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:44 pm

Quinn felt the energy pulse through him, twisting his body and reshaping him to what he once was. A new song was in his mind. He could sense Arabella as he could not before. It was an amazing connection. He felt his body shift and he stretched his paws out, licking Arabella's face, then shifted back to his human form, relaxing into the bed again.

"My gratitude, Lady Fate. My arm and my life is, as always, at your disposal if I am ever needed."
    Clotho
    Clotho

Post by Clotho Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:10 pm

*flashing an enigmatic smile, she reached up and patted his swarthy cheek softly*

"Such as you are always needed. For the world...for me. You've always been my finest general, John. You always will be."

*her hand swooped low, brushing the tanned skin of his steely right forearm. Delicately her fingers traced along his skin and as they did, her Phoenixicus brand appeared, small but there none the less. No one spoke as she raised a finger to her mouth, tiny fangs biting softly. Blood welled up, a curious crimson and gold mixture and she used it to retrace the tattoo again. Smoke rose up as it seeped beneath Quinn's flesh and she stepped back*

"When Atlantis still stood, and my father's pantheon reigned supreme, we had a keeper. My sisters and I ...Cratus. He guarded us, guided us and was taken from us by ..." She wavered..."Apollymi, the Great Destroyer, killed him in a fit of fury. I hardly need guarding...", she grinned faintly, "but Cratus was more than just our warrior. He was a father...a brother." She nodded at her symbol on Quinn. "You are my brother, Quinn. My blood is now mixed with yours. I think you've more than proved your fealty to Destiny. You may not be able to see the sun again, but now....you have a great light within you. Use it well. Ladies..." She bowed her head regally to Jessica and Arabella, vanishing in the next second*

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:05 pm

She watched as Quinn and Arabella were restored anyway and lowered her head knowing she had been too late to speak up. Feeling a change, she looked up to see Quinn in his tiger form and licked Arabella's face. She turned away and knew he had changed back when she heard him speak.

Hearing the fate's last words, she looked up to see her disappear. That would never get old. Clearing her throat nervously she smiled and began to retreat to the door. "Well....uh I guess that's...all? I'll leave you two alone..."
    Arabella Trillo
    Arabella Trillo

Post by Arabella Trillo Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:13 pm

She smiled as he shifted into a great tiger and licked her face playfully. As she watched him shift back, she heard Jessica speak.

"Well....uh I guess that's...all? I'll leave you two alone..."

She stood and walked over to Jessica.

"I heard what you said. I don't think they did. I won't forget....and I'm sorry about before."

She wrapped her arms around Jessica in a brief hug then ran back over to Quinn's side, running her fingers over the new markings on his arm.

"Will the light she was talking about help Vincent recover?"

John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:16 pm

"It might, at least I hope it can. I do not understand yet how far that gift will go, but we can at least try"

With Arabella's help, Quinn stood and walked to where Jessica stood. He took her hand in his.

"Even with all the strife we have had, you still came in my moment of need. I will always love you for that."

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:19 pm

"You uh---" She was now wrapped in a hug by Arabella and her eyes widened a bit in shock. She hugged her back and smiled. "Thank you...and it's okay. You had a reason. I deserved it." She watched her move over to Quinn and turned to leave when she heard a groan as he stood. Looking over her shoulder, she watched her help him over to her and turned back to face him.

When he took her hand in his, she looked down and swallowed hard then looked back up at him. Listening to his words, she smiled slightly and shrugged. She was afraid to say the words, so she didn't. She loved him too. She always would. "I couldn't not help. I..I um...you're wel--" Her words were cut off by realization.

"Did you....did you say recover? Vincent...he's still alive?" She looked between them anxiously, praying she heard right.
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:29 pm

He reached up, squeezing Arabella's hand on his shoulder.

"Thanks to Arabella's blood, we were able to hold onto him until help could arrive but she nearly ended him. He had silver UV rounds in his gun and he emptied it into her, and still she did that much damage."

He looked into Jessica's eyes, his own filled with resolve.

"There will be an accounting, Jessica. I know she was once important to your Maker, but this is beyond personal. She violated my home. She tried to kill the closest thing I have to a father. There will be a price paid for that."

He let her hand drop as he leaned against the wall.

"Did you show Compton the video feed?"

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:32 pm

She gaped at him as he explained, looking at Arabella with such gratitude in her eyes. "Thank you...really, thank you." She looked back at Quinn.

"I don't blame you, as far as I'm concerned she deserves what she gets. She hurt Vinny, she hurt Bill...she hurt me. She lied to us. She almost killed someone. Do what you must."

Lowering her head for a moment as he dropped her hand, she looked back up and nodded. "I did. He...he's not happy about it."
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:35 pm

"You might think I would enjoy his pain but you would be wrong. I only had you do so because I felt he should know the truth before I find her."

He took a deep breath without pain, for the first time in weeks.

"You know he will look for her as well. Through misguided loyalty, through personal vengeance, whatever the reason. You should pray that he finds her first, for her sake. Whatever has happened to her has made her very resilient against normal methods, so I will have to be creative."

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:38 pm

She knew what that meant all too well. He had taught her the art of torture, and torture he did well. She nodded. "Very well. I'll pass the message. But in my opinion, who ever finds her first can do what they wish. I don't care anymore. She brought it upon herself. I'm glad to hear Vincent is alive. If I can do anything....just let me know."

She shifted her weight nervously, unsure of what to say. Part of her wanted to turn and leave, another part...well, she rather not think of that right now.
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:43 pm

"It is getting late, Jessica. Your rooms are still in the main house if you want to sleep there. I would however like you to deliver a message to your maker when you have the chance."

His eyes went dark with purpose as he looked into hers.

"Tell him I will not violate his home to obtain her but that I want to look in her eyes once before she dies. If I find her first, I will grant him the same courtesy. Explain to him that this is far beyond personal vengeance and will be settled before things are done."

He moved from in front of her.

"Stay in your old room or head home. The choice is yours, but please remember my message for your maker."

With Arabella under his arm, he walked to the bed, sitting back down on it.

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:49 pm

She listened to his message for Bill and nodded. "I understand. I'll make sure to tell him. Thank you for the invitation but I should probably go. I um...I'm sure you two would like to be alone. I'm glad you're doing better and I only wish you the best." She looked at Arabella and nodded, "Same to you. I thank you for being there for him when I could not. Please take care of him, which I know you will."

With that she turned to leave the room, holding back the tears that threatened to fall. It felt like the end, like an end. It seemed like they were even. She wasn't there for him, he wasn't there for her. Arabella had stepped in for him, just as James had stepped in for her. Who was she to be angry? She had no right...but still she felt like she had no closure. Maybe she never would.
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:56 pm

Quinn smiled at the shocked look on Cassia's face at all that had transpired. He waited until Jessica had left the grounds and sealed the secured wing for the night.

"Ari, I need to rest. Clotho healed us, but I still need to rest. My body does not regenerate quite as fast as yours. Tonight we will see what can be done to help Vincent, but for now we must wait. It seems you and your Cassia have much to speak about as well. This was a good day, enjoy the rest of it as you see fit."

With that, he laid back, shifting into his tiger form and curling around himself. His tail swished back and forth lazily.
    Arabella Trillo
    Arabella Trillo

Post by Arabella Trillo Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Arabella smiled, walking over and ran her fingers along his back, enjoying the feeling of his fur under her touch. He even arched his back a bit which made her smile. Just like a big house cat.

"Sleep well, my Jonathan. My tiger, my maker. You are so much more to me, I don't even have words for it."

She walked over to Cassia, kissing her softly and leading her from the room. She squeezed Cassia's hand to reassure her and whispered in her ear as the walked.

"You and I need to have a long talk, Cas."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:54 am