For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

2 posters

Terry? Are you there?

Lafayette Reynolds
    Lafayette Reynolds

Terry?  Are you there? Empty Terry? Are you there?

Post by Lafayette Reynolds Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:37 pm

Nervously flitting around, waiting for Arlene to arrive.

How in the hell do I let myself get into this fuckin' shit? Oh yeah - that's right. Dead people. Folks wanna talk to them. And the dead sometimes talk back. Through me.

Usually, it doesn't bother me a fuckin' hell of a lot. But dammit, I do care about Arlene. She's not just a coworker, she's a friend. I hurt for her after Terry up and got hisself killed. She wants to talk to him, I'm gonna give it a shot.

Closing my eyes again, taking a deep breath. "Jesus baby - I sure hope you rounded up Terry for me. I sure as fuck hope so. I don't want to be left sittin' here with just my dick in my hand, y'know? And by the way, I sure do fuckin' miss your ass baby."

Opening my eyes, sighing deeply. Time to light the candles, and get this show on the road.

Hearing a knock on the door, I freeze with the match between my fingers. As it burns down and singes my fingers, I snap out of it. Sucking my burnt fingers, I drop the match in the ashtray. Squaring my shoulders, I say a last little prayer and open the door to see Arlene, a hopeful look in her eyes.

"C'mon in girl. No sense standin' around out there." Mentally crossing myself. I sure as shit don't want Arlene to be disappointed. If Terry don't show his ass tonight, I'd have to kill him if he weren't already dead, dammit.
    Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur
    Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur

Terry?  Are you there? Empty Re: Terry? Are you there?

Post by Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:31 pm

The last few weeks she spent at the cabin her family owned that she went to as a girl. Getting her head straight with just her and her babies. Missing Terry was one thing, getting over the loss and starting over was another. Picking up the pieces, where did you begin? She was finally happy, finally had found the one to spend her life with. Even though it took four or five times and a serial killer fiance, she had found Terry through it all. Then just as fast as she found him, she lost him. The quiet gave her peace, she was able to accept what was and was ready to move forward. But until she could start moving forward, she had to try to talk to Terry. She still had unanswered questions and Lafayette was her only hope in getting them answered.

She called Lafayette earlier that evening and told him she was back in town. Coby and Lisa were spending the weekend with friends, Mikey was being looked after by Holly. Bless her heart, Holly had been there for her. She had really been a great friend. Andy had been a great cousin-in-law and lettin' her and the kids stay there until things were sorted with the life insurance. It was just that old bat Caroline who annoyed her.

After making plans to meet with Lafayette that evening, she got herself ready. She picked out one of Terry's favorite dresses she had. It was a light blue with little sunflowers at the hem. Pinning her hair up halfway, she smiled into the mirror. "If you're listening, Terry...I really, really need to talk to you. Please don't let me down, baby."

Driving over to Lafayette's she thought about all the questions she had for him. When Lafayette opened the door, she froze for a moment, then quickly regained herself. "Lafayette I really can't thank you enough for this. Sorry I took off on you, I just...I needed some air. Some space too...it was all just too much. Thank you for seeing me tonight." She smiled awkwardly as she watched him close the door, not really knowing what to do now. "So...uh...what do we do?"
    Lafayette Reynolds
    Lafayette Reynolds

Post by Lafayette Reynolds Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:30 pm

Letting Arlene in and shutting the front door, he could see just how nervous she was - more than he was, in reality.

"So...uh...what do we do?"

Taking her hands - "Arlene, girl. Just relax. We's gonna do the best we can to get through to Terry tonight. Come on over here and sit at the table. You's got to relax though baby. That's the best way."

Sitting her down at the table, he took the seat across from her, the candles burning in the middle between them.

"Just 'member one thing for me. I'm gonna try hard to get Terry to come through. I cain't promise though - you know that. These dead folk - well, sometimes they are contrary as a little bitch."

Giving her a little smile, he asked "Are you ready?"
    Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur
    Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur

Post by Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:50 pm

She nodded and followed him to the table, taking her own seat and placing her hands on the top of the table. As he spoke and set up a few more items, she fumbled with her hands, placing them on her lap nervously and then back on the table.

"I understand and I don't expect anything. I know that sometimes you just can't get through. Don't worry Lafayette, you do what you can." She gave him a small smile and fidgeted nervously in her seat. Part of her feared that she may not get the answers she was expecting and wondered if she was doing the right thing.
    Lafayette Reynolds
    Lafayette Reynolds

Post by Lafayette Reynolds Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:59 am

Taking a deep breath to relieve the tension, he looked up at her.  "Keep your hands on the table sugar.  Here - take my hands.  It will make it easier to try to make the connection."

He grasped her hands, then leaned his head back and closed his eyes.  Think peaceful thoughts..... he kept thinking in his head.  Then he began to speak.

"We are calling Terry Bellefleur.  Terry - come forward!  Your woman needs to hear from you.  Come!"

As he said the last word, he felt his eyes roll back in his head, and it was his last conscious thought.

His mouth opened - "Arlene?  Baby?  I'm here, but I can't stay long.  I love you baby.  Stay strong for me - you hear?"
    Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur
    Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur

Post by Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:33 am

She nodded and with slow and nervous movements, she placed her hands on the table and into his. Swallowing nervously, she shifted in her seat and watched as Lafayette began to concentrate really hard. Silently in her head she continued to chant over and over, Please come back to me Terry, please.

Lafayette called out loud Terry's name, it was almost as if he was speaking in a crowded room. She wondered if he saw a whole bunch of dead people and heard them like in that show 'Ghost Whisperer'. She watched it a couple times but it freaked her out. Shaking those thoughts from her head, she watched intently as Lafayette continued to call Terry with his eyes closed. And then...

His eyes snapped open and he stared at her like he was seeing her for the first time. Her heart felt like it stopped and his grip on her hands tightened. Before she could ask him what it was, he spoke. It was him...it was her Terry. Tears pricked her eyes and she felt them escape, rolling down her cheek. "Sweet Jesus...it...worked. Terry! Oh Terry! I miss you so much. I love you too. The kids miss you, we all do. The whole town said some really nice things about you, even Sookie." She looked down for a moment and sniffled. "Terry I don't know how you expect me to go on without you sometimes..." She looked up and narrowed her eyes at what appeared to be Lafayette, but his eyes told her it was her Terry. "Why did you leave us Terry, why? I need to know."
    Lafayette Reynolds
    Lafayette Reynolds

Post by Lafayette Reynolds Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:33 pm

"Why did you leave us Terry, why? I need to know."

"Baby, I don't know what to tell you. It was my time, I guess.  You are stronger than you know.  You can do this.  I don't know if I can contact you again.  You wouldn't believe the number of people that want to talk.  Just know that I love you and no matter what, I will always be by your side.  We'll be together again one day and I'll be waiting for you.  Remember I always will love you.  Kiss the babies for me."

Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur
    Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur

Post by Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:55 pm

She sniffled and nodded her head. "You always had more faith in me than I did. I'll kiss the babies and make sure they know. Remembering you love me won't be hard, it will be hard to know that you won't be here with me."

She looked away for a moment, knowing her time was limited, she got to the point. "Terry, why did you take out that life insurance policy. Did you know? Did you plan your own death? Why??" Her voice cracked on the last word as more of her tears fell.
    Lafayette Reynolds
    Lafayette Reynolds

Post by Lafayette Reynolds Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:01 pm

"Terry, why did you take out that life insurance policy. Did you know? Did you plan your own death? Why??"

"Baby, I don't have long to stay.  I'm being pulled back.  I thought that since we had Mikey and the other kids it was a good idea to have insurance.  It was cheap. You know how I liked cheap.  Sorry baby.  I love you.  Even though you can't see me, I'll always be watching you.  Do what you have to to be happy in this life.

At the last few words, the voice got softer and farther away, then trickled into silence.  

His eyes fluttered, then opened.  He felt disoriented, but the pain in his hands brought him fully around.  He looked down to see Arlene tightly gripping them.

"Arlene?  Sugar?  Is everything ok?  What happened?"
    Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur
    Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur

Post by Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:08 pm

She listened to him and as usual, he avoided her question. More tears sprung to her eyes and she sobbed, gripping Lafayette's hand tightly. "Terry...oh God Terry..." She knew he had planned it, he had expected to die and probably planned out then when, where and how.

She looked up to see Lafayette staring at her and pulling his hand away from her. She released his hand and wiped at her eyes, nodding. "Yes, yes it's okay. I--Uh thank you Lafayette...for everything. I really can't thank you enough." She stood and grabbed her purse. "I know you said no charge, but for taking your time out..." She placed a fifty on the table and turned for the door before he could argue. "I'll call you!" She called out as she opened the door and ran out into the night. Tears falling freely from her eyes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:59 am