For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

The big day arrives (2028)

Lafayette Reynolds
    Lafayette Reynolds

The big day arrives (2028) Empty The big day arrives (2028)

Post by Lafayette Reynolds Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:45 am

"Nervous, baby?"  

As I heard Mitch's voice, I turned to face him.  "Not really baby.  Not about us, anyway.  Just makin' sure that the Sous Chef and line cooks have everything under control for our reception.  You know me - I cain't stand to not have my fingers in everything."  Knowing when I was nervous, my Bon Temps twang still crept into my voice after all these years, I smiled at him.

Adjusting his lapels, I grinned.  "You clean up nice for an old white dude."

Laughing, Mitch grabbed my hands.  "It's nearly time Lala.  Ready?"

Ready?  Was I?  I was about to commit my life to this man.  The invitations had been sent out weeks ago, and all the preparations were made.

The big day arrives (2028) 6yo56xkpo7mrvjz3eo7xsgdck9rynlas

I felt torn.  I love Mitch - truly I do.  Sometimes I just feel like I'm cheating on Jesus.  Although he's been gone a very long time now, he's still a part of me.  I've told him of my plans, and I know he only wants the best for me.  Shaking my head to clear it, focusing on what was in front of me.  Mitch.  

"Let's do this!"

Walking out into the main restaurant, I noticed that the tables and seating had been rearranged according to plan giving us an aisle to walk down together after the ceremony.  The seats were filled to capacity with our friends, business associates, and other well wishers.  The minister was waiting, and all was well with the world.

As the minister began the service, it came time for us to speak the words that would bind us together.

With a trembling voice, Mitch spoke first.  "I, Mitch Andrews, take you,  Lafayette Reynolds, to be my wedded husband.  I promise to strive always to consider your needs in addition to my own; to be a source of strength for you; to accept your strength for myself; to share freely my thoughts and feelings; to listen when you share yours with me.  I make these solemn promises, to keep them in times of plenty and in want; in joy and in sorrow; in sickness and in health, from this day forward."  Taking a deep breath, he placed the simple band on my finger.

Feeling like a huge weight was being lifted from my shoulders, and seeing a last errant ray of sunlight stream through the room, I knew this was Jesus' way of telling me everything was alright, and that I was indeed doing the right thing.

Looking my groom in the eyes, I spoke my vows in a strong, clear voice.  "I, Lafayette Reynolds, ask you, Mitch Andrews, to be my husband, as my friend and my love.  On this day, I affirm the relationship we have enjoyed, looking to the future to deepen and strengthen it.  I will be yours in plenty and in want, in sickness and in health, in failure and in triumph.  Together, we will dream, stumble but restore each other, we will share all things, serving each other and our fellow humanity.  I will cherish and respect you, comfort and encourage you, be open with you, and stay with you as long as we both shall live, both freed and bound by our love."

Placing the ring on his finger, I held his hands tightly as the minister pronounced that we were legally married by the power invested in him by the State of Louisiana.  As Mitch swept me into a deep kiss, dipping me low, the gathered guests broke into applause.

Breaking the kiss, I whispered "I love you" quickly as our employees and guests swarmed around us with congratulations, hugs, and kisses.  

Lifting my eyes skyward, I mentally sent a message to Jesus - "Thank you baby.  I will never, ever forget you."

Taking my husband's hand, we began to celebrate.

The big day arrives (2028) Tr2lcgeehi80vwdwyjx572sf8i1xw0a6

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 pm