For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

The beauty in death (2028)

Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry

The beauty in death (2028) Empty The beauty in death (2028)

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:51 pm

Her life was fulfilling. Everything about it. Instead of taking lives, now she helped save them. She had passed her final exams that day with flying colors and been the third in her class. Even was asked to give a speech about being a vampire and becoming a doctor. The greatest part, was seeing Bill so proud as she gave her speech and received her diploma. She had done it, she had graduated college and was ready to start her residency. It would be a long journey from there but she was ready for what it would bring...

...or she thought she was.

"Dr. Hamby?" Jessica looked over her shoulder at the orderly who had come in as she was checking the vitals on one of her patients. She removed the buds of her stethoscope from her ears and waited for the woman to speak again. "I'm sorry to bother you but Mr. Clements is irate again. Refusing to take his medication." Jessica smiled softly and nodded.

"I'll be there shortly." She wrote down a few things on the chart and moved to the nurse, handing them to her. "I increased the dosage here, let's see if that helps any. I scheduled more tests next week after it's been in her system a while." The nurse nodded and Jessica moved around her to head over to Mr. Clements room. Rapping her knuckles twice on the door, she pushed it open and the frail man in the bed turned his head to see her enter. He beamed brightly and held out his hand to her.

"Doc! I knew they'd send you in here. Come on and sit a while." She smiled and moved over to the chair by his bed. Taking his hand, she sat and shook her head.

"Now, Mr. Clements I thought we had a deal. You take your meds and I come visit you every day. They'll help you, help the pain...why won't you take them."

He looked down at his lap and sighed heavily. "I miss my Julia. She was my everything, and I just don't see any reason to go on. The kids are grown, they'll be okay. I just want this to run it's course and let an old man die peacefully. That too much to ask?"

She swallowed hard at the rock that formed in her throat and looked down at her hand holding his. "I understand. I...what if I could take the pain away?"

"It's not the pain from the cancer, doc. It's the pain of knowing she's not here with me anymore. It's the loss...the absence. You're still young, well.." He grinned at his little joke, everyone knew she was a vampire. "I'm sure one day you'll get it. Death doesn't visit you quite as often as it visits us humans." He chuckled.

"Oh the contrare, Mr. Clements. I see death everyday and I have to stand aside knowing sometimes I can't change it. I can't save everyone but I know I can save you. Let me help you." She had really taking a liking to him. He was such a warm man.

"You really wanna help?" She nodded and he looked straight into her eyes with the most serious look on his face. "Help me meet my Julia tonight. Make it not hurt. Make it fast."

She swallowed hard and her jaw went slack from the shock of his request.

The beauty in death (2028) Empty Re: The beauty in death (2028)

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:04 pm

It seemed like hours...but in reality it was only minutes since he made his plea. He was asking...her to take his life. It was...so wrong. He wanted her to kill him. She fought back her tears and stood. "I can't do that...Mr. Clements. I just...I can't."

He grabbed her hand and pulled with all his might as she came closer to his face. "It's my final request. All this pain...all this suffering. Just let me go. Please? It's what I want." He paused briefly, determination set in his face. "If you don't, I will. I will refuse all medication and treatments. Now let me die happy or I will die. One way or another Ms. Hamby...I. will. die."

She covered her mouth to muffle the gasp and sob that escaped as the tears fell from her eyes. She couldn't kill him, she...just couldn't. It was wrong, it was...immoral. "Now, don't you cry. No one has to know. Just do it..."

She continued to hold his gaze and swallowed hard as she reached down into her white coat pocket. She pulled the vial and syringe out and slowly pulled her hand from his hand. She spoke with a shaky voice. "This...will put you to sleep. But...you won't wake up. Are you sure this is what you want? Positive?"

He nodded and she swallowed hard again. Pulling the dosage into the syringe, she slipped the vial into her pocket again and closed her eyes, fighting herself internally for what she was doing. Was it right? Before she could talk herself out of it, she opened her eyes and twisted the top off the needle, twisting the syringe into the IV tubing. Slowly, she pushed with her thumb and watched the liquid mix with his medicine. Taking his hand in hers, she cried and watched his eyes get sleepy. He laid his head on the pillow and looked up at the overhead lights.

"I'm coming home Julia....I'm coming home." Her tears fell harder as she finished pushing the medicine in and slipped it into her pocket, sitting back down as she ran her free hand over his arm. "Thank you...thank....yo..." He drifted into a slumber and she closed her eyes as she listened to the beats of his heart.

Thump...thump...thump...thump...thump.....thump....thump........thump..........thump.............thump................................................................................

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:08 pm

She closed his eyes and wiped her own, speaking softly to the corpse on the bed. "Mr. Clements...you've made such a difference in my life. In so many lives. I can't thank you enough for showing me what I needed to see all along." She sniffled and wiped her eyes again.

Part of her was sad that she would never get to die peacefully, not of natural causes or whatever disease would claim her. She would have to be staked in the heart or walk out into the sun and suffer in order to find the peace that death brought. This was the hardest decision of her career, one that she knew would haunt her. The lingering question in her mind...

Did she do the right thing?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm