For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

2 posters

Blessings in Disguise

Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur
    Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur

Blessings in Disguise Empty Blessings in Disguise

Post by Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:40 pm

*she hadn't had anything to do today, so she decided to head to Merlotte's for some lunch. She hadn't worked much lately, but she did come in every once in a while to work a couple of hours, just to keep her mind occupied. She couldn't be by herself too long. The kids were staying with friends while she got her life together. Sure, maybe she should be staying with them, but after they saw her drunk off her butt a couple more times than they should have, she got them to stay somewhere else; she wasn't stable, and that just wasn't good for her babies! So there she was, sitting on the stool at Merlotte's, once again putting the little bit of money she made at that job back into Sam Merlotte's pocket.*

Heya Sam.

*she smiled up at the man that had just walked out of the back and up to the bar, letting her head rest on her hand and her other knuckles rap against the bar.*
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Blessings in Disguise Empty Re: Blessings in Disguise

Post by Sam Merlotte Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:00 pm

He smiled and reached for the bar rag, wiping down the area before placing a glass on the bar top. -What can I get you Arlene?- He moved to get the man next to her a beer and went back to standing across from her. He cocked a brow and remembered. -Aren't you off tonight? Why ya here?-
    Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur
    Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur

Post by Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:08 pm

I got bored.

*she shrugged her shoulders and sipped on the glass of sweet tea that she had gotten previously.*

How've you been, Sam? How's Nicole? The baby?

*she didn't really talk much with anyone lately, but she had missed the comradery at the bar. Things were much simpler, even when they were difficult, there. But she sure did miss the pay check that she got when she was here; it wasn't much, but the tips helped a lot. Especially when the kids were needing new clothes.*
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:15 pm

He smiled and grabbed his own beer, taking a sip of it. -She's great, the baby is healthy. We're waiting to be surprised so we don't know the sex yet. I've been....spread thin lately it seems. I don't know Arlene, with everything going on...- He sighed and leaned against the bar.

-I have a meeting with the Mayor soon. Lot of police reports filed and Merlotte's seems to be the mecca of these creepy vampires. Never seen anything like it either. I'll have to talk to Bill about it.-

He looked over at her. -So, how've you been?-
    Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur
    Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur

Post by Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:21 pm

*she shrugged her shoulders and took another sip of her tea, wishing it was something stronger but knowing that she hadn't been able to really control herself lately when it came to alcohol. She wouldn't ever let herself be like that again, not in front of her kids*

I'm okay. Money's gettin' tight. I'm waiting to hear back from the insurance company. They're doin' an inquiry or something like that. They think I killed Terry, Sam!

*she shook her head, her voice getting a wee bit more shrill*

Like I'd kill him! I loved that man, Sam. I loved that man more than anything, more than money! And now they wanna not give me the money from his life insurance. And with me not working. Sam, I don't know what to do anymore.
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:25 pm

He set his beer down and saw her lip tremble, moving around to the opposite side of the bar where she sat. -Hey, hey...Arlene, I know you didn't...we all know you didn't. What happened...well, it was tragic. But I'm sure it's just a formality.- He wrapped his arms around her to hug her, feeling so sorry for her.

-Arlene, you're welcome to come in anytime you want. Between you and I...I'll pay the overtime.-
    Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur
    Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur

Post by Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:36 pm

*she shook her head and let a tear fall down her cheek*

I wouldn't be able to do that to you, Sam. You got that baby coming and you are gonna need all the money you can get. I wouldn't never take no food out of y'alls mouths or off your table. It wouldn't be right.

*shook her head again and as she did, saw a piece of paper sticking out of her purse*

Oh, fudge. I forgot about this; got it this morning. Probably more dang bills. I don't think they'll ever stop comin', Sam.
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:39 pm

He shook his head and sighed. -I mean it Arlene, anytime. The offer stands as it may. You won't be taking away from anyone, I have a little savings. It isn't much but I know Terry would have wanted me to take care of you and the kids. We all will, we're your family. I know you can't stay at Old Miss Bellefleurs forever.- He chuckled, knowing how batty that woman could be.

-I have a rental open if you and the kids want it. I'll even split the rent in half.- He watched her take a bill from her purse and leaned against the bar again to let her open it. -If it is, they'll get paid when they get paid. Simple as that.-
    Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur
    Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur

Post by Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:56 pm

*she shook her head and looked at the envelope in her hand*

They will get paid when they get paid, I guess. But I won't take your money, Sam. I can't. I... no.

*she shook her head again and let out a sigh as she looked back at the envelope. Her eyes went back to Sam's as she slid her finger underneath the lip of the envelope. She hadn't even looked at who it was from, but she knew it was probably the power bill, or the water bill, or something that was going to throw her over the edge again. Another sigh slipped through her lips and she let her finger cut open the paper.*

I hate this.

*she reached in and pulled it out, flipped it open and turned it over, letting her eyes slide over the page; another slip of paper fell out onto the counter, but she didn't notice it. She was too enthralled with what it said. She looked up and at Sam, her mouth opening and closing like a fish.*

Sam.... Oh my sweet baby Jesus!

*a smile came to her face and she jumped up from the bar stool, letting out a whoop that was surely heard through five parishes*

THANK YOU JESUS!

*and it was then that she knew... everything would be okay.*
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:03 pm

His eyes widened as she yelled and seemed to nearly want to faint, her cheeks reddened and she jumped up from the barstool. He had to step back in order to miss her from jumping up, smiling with her as she celebrated something. -Arlene...- He went to ask what that was about when she darted towards the door. He shook his head with a smile, happy she received some great news.

Turning back to the bar, he saw a small slip of paper with her name on it and picked it up. -Arlene you forgot..- He sighed when he looked around and she wasn't there. Reading the paper, his eyes widened a bit and he nodded. Arlene would be okay now, and he was relieved. Shaking his head, he mumbled. -Terry, ya ole dog you.-

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm