For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

This changes things

Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

This changes things Empty This changes things

Post by Sam Merlotte Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:16 am

-Yeah, I'll be there in....- He checked his watch and continued. -ten minutes tops. Sorry I'm running late. Nicole needed some food first.- He chuckled and nodded as the mayor spoke on the other end of the phone. After he hung up, he kissed Nicole's cheek and told her he'd be back soon. She was content with her burger and fries that happened to be covered in chili and jalapenos. He grimaced when she added mayo to the top of that. Pregnancy cravings....ick.

Heading for the Mayor's office on this Sunday afternoon, he wondered what was so urgent. It was, after all, Easter Sunday. He and Nicole had decided to stay in and watch movies all day considering she was not comfortable a lot of the time. She understood that he had to break away for a bit. So he rushed over to see what was going on.

-Sorry I'm late mayor, what is this about exactly?- He said as he walked into his office and took a seat across from the mayor.

"Sam Merlotte, glad you could join me today. Last night there was an attack in Monroe, fifteen were killed. Fifteen humans. Those vampires escaped local authorities but we were advised that they were not like ordinary vampires. These were infected and we can only hope that its not harmful to humans if transmitted. We haven't been able to tell if it is since every attack has resorted in casualties."

-Damn, again? I mean what do they want? What are they after?-

The mayor chuckled, "Isn't it obvious, Merlotte?" He gave Sam a look. "Blood...and revenge." Sam quirked a brow. "If it wasn't for former Governor Burell tainting the bottled blood and inadvertently beginning a war between vampires and humans. These infected vampires are looking for revenge Sam. And they're taking it out on innocent humans."

-But I thought we had fixed it with public relations.-

"There is only so much the media can do. Our image is tarnished and it appears as though humans want to eradicate all vampires."

-But that's not true. We can all live in peace, can't we? We've done it before.-

"I suppose it's possible but there needs to be a spokesperson for humans. Show we can be trusted. Someone with ties to the supernatural community. An in between, perhaps." He gave Sam a look and Sam chuckled, pointing to his own chest.

-You mean me? With all due respect, Mayor Newman, I am not the person for the job. My kind is not pretty high in the supernatural pyramid. I'm just a bar owner...or I was.- He sighed.

"You...you're....Sam you're...more than that. You..." The mayor's face contorted as he clutched his chest and Sam rose quickly.

-Mr. Newman?- He moved over to him and the mayor spoke through his pain.

"You're the man for the job...it's you Sam. You have to....you have to save the town."

Newman tensed up in Sam's arms and he laid him on the ground, beginning CPR. He grabbed his cell with one hand and did chest compression with the other.

-Yeah, I need an ambulance to the Mayor's office NOW. He's having a heart attack, hurry!- He hung up and continued to do CPR. -Come on...don't die on me damn it! one, two, three, four...- He counted each time he did a compression and fought to keep the man alive.

Time was running out.
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

This changes things Empty Re: This changes things

Post by Sam Merlotte Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:25 am

"Push two CC atropine!" The paramedics were working on the mayor as Sam paced the office. They were giving him oxygen and doing CPR, watching the monitors for any change. "Start the defrib, we're losing him." Sam watched in horror and prayed the mayor made it through. They placed the pads on the man's chest and began the defibrillator machine. They shocked his heart and no change was shown.

For another twenty minutes they tried to stabilize him enough for transport, but in the end, the green flat line on the monitor indicated that they had lost him for good. Sadly, the paramedics stopped attempts at maintaining life and looked over at Sam. "The coroner will have to call it. Time of death I mean. We tried Mr. Merlotte...his heart just wasn't strong enough."

Sam looked at the sixty eight year old man on the floor and fought back the tears in his eyes. He was a good man, good for the town. Sam nodded to the paramedics and moved towards the door. Once outside, he took in a heavy gulp of air and looked towards the sky, muttering under his breath. -Fuck. Son of a bitch.- This changed things. A lot.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm