For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

Just a Call

Kiara Griffen
    Kiara Griffen

Just a Call Empty Just a Call

Post by Kiara Griffen Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:31 pm

Sitting at her home she felt like a heel. After Quinn had left to do some “research” as he called it, she’d bolted from the hotel. She felt like a girl who had snuck out at night and hadn’t come home till next morning. Frankly everything was turned upside down in her mind. Not to mention the reoccurring nightmares. The last time she’d had a nightmare so vivid it had turned into reality when Bill had ripped into her throat. Now dreaming about being turned and other things just had her way too much on edge.

She reached over for another pizza slice, staring at her screen. There was a backlog of donor orders that seemed to stretch on to next week. Since the bombings of the true blood factories vampire on human crime was on the rise, however even she was surprised to see the influx of vampires who still looked for a means to mainstream. From wealthy vampire overlords to the vampire business person who did not want to sink down to olden ways. As she re-crossed her bare legs she typed in more instructions for donors. At this rate she’d soon be hitting the 500 donor mark. Already her compound was starting to look crowded, and it was 20 acres big both above and below ground. Her employees were scrambling to meet orders. The chimera crystals were a huge hit. They were now being made as a sort of instant blood drink item. Dissolved in some water and vampires had a new type of synthetic blood that surpassed the fake taste of True blood.

Prima Vitae Site

She ran her hands through her hair. “I’ll have to hire more medical staff” she told herself. With so many donors and so much blood being drawn she couldn’t afford anyone to get sick or blood poisoning. Not to mention her current medical staff was feeling the stress of so many medical checkups. As she typed away on her dual screen computer she heard her phone vibrate on her bed. Turning around on her seat she reached for it and smiled at the number. Not a number she saw often but one that never failed to make her happy.

“Hi Nana…” she said as soon as she picked up. It had been ages since she’d last talked, and even longer since she last saw her maternal grandmother. A grand wolf herself she was the only woman who seemed to always have the answers to everything. She saved her work, figuring she’d earned a reprieve from typing while she got up.

“Yes Nana I promise I’m eating” she said with a chuckle.
    “Well you better be child, god knows you work too much” said the woman on the other line.
    “I know you’re busy” she said, moving on “..but I am wondering when you’re thinking of visiting the den” she said. The den being a short way of saying home. Her mother’s pack owned several thousand acres in Olympic national park. The areas not meant for visitors were designed that way so her pack could have run of it as wolves or humans without being seen.
    “Oh Nana I’m sorry I haven’t been there in a while” she said, not wanting to bring up all the fishy business that had been going on in her life.

“But really now that you mention it, a trip up there would be wonderful” she said. Getting away from here, aside from irresponsible to her job would just be the break she needed to get her life together.

“Well you know we’ll be doing the starlight ceremony soon. I think your daddy and mom would love to see you” she said. Kiara had to suppress the knot in her throat. That ceremony was a very olden tradition in her pack, a way to commune with the spirits of the wolves departed and a way to make peace with the grief that death brought.

“How soon Nana?” she asked, that ceremony was not something she missed…ever.

“We’re still prepping the harvest so it’ll be a month at best child. Now I know your work keeps you busy but we’d love for you to be here. We have several new wolves going through the adulthood ceremony as well and they could sure use a fine rolemodel like yourself” said her grandmother. Kiara chuckled. She couldn’t see herself as a good rolemodel for anything, but far be it for her to disagree with her nana.

“Alright Nana, I’ll get my things taken care of here and I promise I’ll be at that ceremony, you know I’d never miss it” she said as she sat on her bed. She could almost hear her grandmother nodding on the other line with pride.

“I know child, and you do us all proud…you know that right?” she said. Kiara nodded “I know Nana…I know” she said.

They talked for a few more minutes before Kiara hung up. Strangely she felt lighter, happier after talking to her nana, something that always amazed her. With a renewed sense of purpose she turned up her music a bit and resumed work.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:01 am