For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

Is it still 1960?

Pam Swynford De Beaufort
    Pam Swynford De Beaufort

Is it still 1960? Empty Is it still 1960?

Post by Pam Swynford De Beaufort Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:38 am

"God hates fags and fangs! God hates fags and fangs! It's unnatural, it's against his word!"

The picketing religious fanatics were once again using their right to free speech to spread hate across the country whilst hiding behind bibles and words of God. It brought back many memories to her mind of the early 60's when rights were only given to white's and men. Women were given basic rights, but still lived in the ancient "Man works, woman cooks" world. She sat at her desk drumming her nails as she fumed inside at how much hate this world had. In all her 160 years of her immortal life, peace was something you could only dream of. Pam gave off the cold, heartless appeal but deep down she hated seeing others looked down upon for choices beyond their control. Tara poked her head in just to give her a wink and headed back to the bar area to help Ginger stock the bar. A smile crossed her lips at how many "rules" she was breaking. A lesbian vampire who was in a relationship with a black woman. She couldn't help but feel pride at how she was doing what she wanted and living her life how she felt she ought to live it.

The reporter on the TV broke her from her thoughts. "In other news, yet another teen has committed suicide after being bullied at school by his peers. Some say the boy was constantly threatened, beat up and made fun of for his sexuality. He left a note for his parents, 'Sorry, I couldn't make it...I love you guys with all my heart.' Parents of the teen say their son had a right to live his life how he saw fit. More on this at ten, I'm Rebecca Garrison, CNN news."
    (Article rights: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/14....n_1598272.html)

It wasn't often Pam felt such anguish, but seeing the youth of America hurting for being who they are....It's a sad day to see such an innocent life being taken by their own hand, when they don't see another way out. There is always another answer, Hate...never is. Until people can learn to accept what they don't understand, even if they don't believe in it...the world will never be peaceful. Having lived through such hateful and righteous years seeing womens' rights, segregation, slavery, and seems like nothing has changed since. We grow and expand, some things become normal and tolerated, while other things become ostracized and forbidden. Taboo, if you will.

Tara broke her from her thoughts as she entered. "What's eating you?" She asked as she took a seat in front Pam's desk, plopping in the chair. Pam grinned as she shook her head, "Oh, nothing...you know typical homophobic picketers. The news was just depressing, turned it off." Tara scoffed. "Yeah, I remember being called every name in the book in middle school. By high school, those bitches knew not to fuck with me." She said nonchalantly as she remembered her days of being bullied. Pam cocked a brow. "You...were bullied?" Suddenly feeling angry at how much pain Tara had to endure in her life. "How did you push past it?" She asked, curiously. Tara grinned. "As much as I already had to deal with, with my momma being a drunk ass all the time plus racist rednecks teasing me for being black, well...." Tara pondered for a moment. "I kept it inside, but it ate away at me. You never forget the cruel words people say to you. No matter how many kind words come later. Every painful word is like a scar you wear forever, something that with over time heals...but its still there. Something you can't ever forget or let go. I guess that's where my anger stemmed from, never letting it out. But...I'm okay today, and I made it through. Which is all that matters. If I hadn't had Sookie, I don't think I could have." Tara's words said a lot. If you surrounded yourself with people who loved and truly cared for you, the painful words don't hurt as bad and.....it DOES get better.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:10 am