For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

Hindsight is 20/20

Kenya Jones
    Kenya Jones

Hindsight is 20/20 Empty Hindsight is 20/20

Post by Kenya Jones Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:45 am

*Standing in line at the Gas and Go grabbing a quick nuked burrito and can of sweet tea that keeps me my perky sweet self, laughing inwardly. No one appreciates my humor in this parish. Sighing hearing Rosie's tinny voice squeak on my walkie saying there was a fight at the park across from the middle school. I drop a 5 dollar bill telling Rashid I will be back for change later. I hear a laugh, Okay Deputy Kenya.

Hopping in the cruiser heading over to the park to see 5 boys throwing rocks and pummeling this chubby little girl. The scene rushes back a memory of a chubby little black girl getting pummeled and her lunch money taken, with the taunt, Kenya is as big is Africa, her huge ass is a continent on it's own.
    Shaking the unpleasant memories away pulling up on the far side of the park skirting the wooded area to sneak up on the boys, some of them are children of the bullies of my school days. In a loud authoritative voice I say,*

Drop the rocks and put your faces in the dirt, now if you run I will come to your house and things will go much worse, cuz I will be whippin up on you and your Mamas and Daddies.

*The poor little girl lip was bleeding her eyes were blackened and bruises all over her hands and arms. My heart was bleeding for her, wrapping a comforting arm around her. I was that little girl once. Clicking on the walkie for Rosie to dispatch Sheriff Bellefleur to the scene. Rosie's tinny whiny voice came through, saying he's at the baby doctor with the girls. Sighing loud stifling a curse about his overactive body parts. Looking at the boys whos trying to steal a peek at me.*

Okay boys sit up on your butts and listen real good. I have had it with fighting I have had it with the lot of you. I have broken up fights with 3 of you twice. I should run the lot of you in and place you in juvenile jail. But that would teach you how to be worse than what you already are. So since Sheriff Bellefleur isn't available this is what I am going to do. Each one of you five boys are going to come to the station after school helping around with the chores. I want you to meet your future selves if you don't get some love in your hearts. You will be ready each Sunday at 8:30 AM to attend church with me, and you each will sit next to a widow woman and will be attendant to their needs. I will teach you the love of God and of your fellow man if your Mama's and Daddies won't. If this doesn't sound agreeable you will be arrested for assault spending 4 months in juvenile jail. It will be up to you? What will it be? It is your choice.

*I watch their faces as the fear and realization of the crime committed couldn't be fixed by their parents and they will have to suffer either way. The tallest of the boys, Tommy Wayne Johnson raises his hand, looking at him I say,*

What is is Tommy?

His voice breaks either from stress or hormonal changes saying, If it is alright with you Deputy Jones I will come to the station and go to church but please don't tell my parents, can we say it's a vocational course, my Dad will kill me if I live he will send me to military school.

*Thinking on this, it would be a great outreach, I can see Kevin helping with it but Jason and Andy not so much they are ruled by the smaller of their two brains.*

Okay Tommy I will stop by tonight and talk to your parents with a consent form and will hit the rest of your families up, this will be for the 4 months you would serve in juvie. If this is good for the rest of you nod your heads.

*They all nod with much enthusiasm, making me think it might not work, I warn*

If you goof off or miss one Sunday at church you will be in juvie so fast it will spin your head off your neck! You will shake this girls hand and hug her telling your from the bottom of your hate filled hearts you are truly sorry, and you will be nice to her in school and carry her books and make sure she has friends, if anyone makes a cutting comment you will stand up for her like she's your newest best friend or sister making them understand their comment was offensive to everyone not at all cute. I will not tolerate hate in any form. You will become ambassadors for the picked on, you will stamp out violence and hatred in the middle school, or you will be in Juvie. Got it?

*Each boy got up hugging her shaking her hang telling Julie, the chubby little girl, how sorry they were and that they will be her friend and no one shall ever bother her again. Sending them off to the station to start with the mopping of the cells. Taking the little girl home so her Mama can take her to the doctor and explain what went down and fill out the necessary reports.

Two hours later I head into the station to make up a consent form, texting Andy to stop by and sign it or I will tell the Parish Commission he's not showing up for work and not using the family leave medical act, making them pay him for work he's not doing.

He had a few choice words but when I explained why I was doing this, a gleam of respect in his eyes, and a begrudging, great job Kenya, we will implement this soon as a program for at risk youth, it will change some, but it might stave off the larger crimes 'til older in age. Smiling feeling like I accomplished something today, I take the consent forms to the boys houses for parents to sign.*