For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

2 posters

Maintaining Control

Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry

Maintaining Control Empty Maintaining Control

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:59 pm

https://devotedtowriting.forumotion.com/t1052-the-greatest-gift-you-have-given-me

After leaving Bill's house, I realized I was running thirty minutes late and Arlene was sure to have a fit. I stored the briefcase in the trunk of my car for safe keeping and made sure to park close to the building just in case anyone got any ideas. I wasn't sure when I'd open it...it almost worried me what I would find. Why was he giving me this? Was there trouble on the horizon that he new about but wouldn't tell me? Sighing, I turned off the ignition and stepped out the car, shutting the door and arming the car. My senses on overdrive since I was without Zasha. I needed some freedom, otherwise I'd feel just like I did with Bill and Quinn respected that...I think. I wish he'd let me help him with his work, but I heard from Vincent that he was looking for someone...maybe I'd apply to that job. It would be something fun to do, and I'd get to spend more time with him...unless that was a bad idea and we'd get bored of one another. Closing my eyes to clear my thoughts, I stepped into Merlotte's and exhaled waiting for Arlene to have her bitch fit. But..she didn't. She wasn't even there.

"Hey hun, you're never late unless there's a reason, I covered for ya..been pretty slow anyhow." Holly said with a shrug of her shoulders. "Holly, you are an angel. Thank you so much...I'll pay ya back anytime." She smiled and headed back off to the tables carrying a pitcher of beer. I was in a good mood now, maybe tonight would be great. I waved at Sam as I headed to his office to get my apron and order pad. Holly wasn't joking we were really slow. As I walked past the kitchen I greeted Lafayette, seeing he was in an odd mood and quiet...I decided to leave him be.

"Hey Sam, sorry I'm late...Bill needed to talk to me about some things. It was sort of important."

Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Maintaining Control Empty Re: Maintaining Control

Post by Sam Merlotte Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:04 pm

Sam looked up and smiled, listening to Jessica explain where she was and why she was late. He nodded and understood. -Things happen, I understand. Don't make a habit out of it, and next time just give me a call if you're running late.- Wiping down the bar, then draping the towel over his shoulder. He handed a male customer another budlight and took the money, giving him his change. -Everything okay?- He asked as he leaned against the bar.

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:16 pm

"Thank you Sam, I appreciate that. Next time I'll call, promise." I watched him wait on a customer, then opened my order pad and tried to find a pen that worked in the cup he kept by the register. Finally finding one I looked around at my section and didn't see anyone new yet. He asked if everything was okay and my eyes continued to scan the bar. "Oh you know, just father/daughter talks, He's acting a little weird but maybe it's because we renewed our bond? I don't know, Sam. Wish I knew." I chuckled at his face realizing he probably didn't know much about vampire things. "Sorry, guess I don't make much sense. A bond is...well...it's complicated. It's like a connection."

"She'll be right with you..." I heard the newest hostess say to a family at my tables. I shook my head and smiled as I started for the tables to get their order. The closer I got the more familiar they looked. I stopped dead in my tracks when I realized who they were. I quickly turned around and walked back behind the bar, ducking down so no one could see me and closing my eyes. "Sam...I need you to take table 7's order...and I can't move until they're gone...." I opened my eyes to look up at him as he looked on curious and confused. "It's my human family...they think I'm dead."
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:33 pm

He tried to listen and understand what she was saying but he couldn't help but look confused. She attempted to explain but he just nodded and smiled. -I see...well I hope everything...works out?- He said as he turned back to the bar, Jane asking for another shot of Jäger. As he poured the shot, Jessica came rushing back and ducked behind the bar. He looked around the bar confused, trying to identify what caused that reaction. Looking down at her with a questioning glance, she spoke...his mouth dropped open when she told him who she was hiding from. Her human family...who thought she was dead. He looked straight ahead and spoke softly, knowing she'd hear. -Stay there...I got it.-

He took her order pad and pen and walked up to the table. -Evenin' folks, what can I get ya tonight?- He asked, offering his best smile.

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:49 pm

I did as he said and peeked over the counter watching as he went to their table. If I could breathe I'd be heaving right now. The last time I saw them this close I was...well...about to bite my father. Eden looked...off. Something was wrong I could tell. My father, he was different too. I'd peeked in the window on Christmas, everything looked okay from the outside. My mother sat there looking like the every good wife that listened to everything her husband said. Eden barely looked up. When we would come her for family dinners, we'd laugh and talk and smile...this was...not right. Sam brought them out their food, I continued to watch. I focused hard to listen to their conversation as Sam came back behind the bar.

"I don't care, Anna. I don't. I told you not to embarrass me in front of my buddies and yet you did it again." He said as he shook his hand and then placed the fry in his mouth. I had to get a closer look at this I had to. "Sam..hand me one of the menus, please?" He did so and I placed it in front of my face, peeking over the top as I slowly went over to where they were.
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:57 pm

After handing Jessica a menu, he watched and tried to stop her realizing what she was doing. -Jessi...- He was cut off by someone asking for another beer. Knowing this could end badly he kept an eye on her as she went over to where her family sat. Should he call Bill? Maybe that Quinn guy, rumor had it she was seeing him. One day all this would give him a heart attack....

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:04 pm

I made my way over to the area they sat at, stealthy like I was some sort of spy. The thought made me grin, which quickly faded when I saw my mother's face. She was...so hurt. There was a bruise healing on the side of her face that she'd covered with mascara...I could still smell the dried blood beneath the surface of her skin. I looked at Eden who kept her head down as she ate. The shirt that she wore dipped in the back of her neck, revealing part of a bruise that looked to be healing. No...no this wasn't happening. What was that smell?? I looked around, then stepped forward one more step as my father sat with his back to me. He reeked of alcohol. Daddy always did have a scotch or a bourbon occasionally...but now...he smelled like a brewery. Eden and Mama...they had so much fear for him I could smell that too. I felt the hurt on my chest as I turned around to face Sam, with tears in my eyes. "Miss!" He slurred out loudly. My back to him. "I need a refill...hey, you...you listening?" I shook my head and darted off to Sam's office at human speed. This wasn't happening...this wasn't happening....
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:21 pm

Sam continued to watch closely as Jessica went over to her family and seemed to just be covertly watching them. Her face seemed to contort to confusion, then anger, then sadness. Shit why did he let her go over there?? This would end badly...or not. She looked at him and froze when the man began to ask for a refill, then sped to his office. He grabbed the pitcher of beer he was drinking and went over to refill it. "Something wrong with your waitress?" He slurred. -No, she's just...uh...having a bad night. Think she's sick...I should go check on her. Excuse me.- He walked away and whispered in Holly's ear to take over.

He opened his door and saw Jessica sitting on the floor with her knees to her chest. -Jessica? You uh...okay? What happened?-

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:25 pm

I sat there with my knees to my chest and tried not to cry, my family was falling apart. My father was...a monster. Things from my past came flooding back like it happened yesterday. The beatings, the yelling, the slapping...everything. He only did when he was drinking, and now that looked like an everyday thing. How could he do this? To Eden! She was so young. Sam came in and I wiped away the one tear that did fall. After he asked his question I stood and cleared my throat. "I think...I uh...Sam I can't stay here as long as they are here. I just...can I have the rest of the night off. I'll make it up to you I swear. Please...I just...I can't." I felt like crying again but refused to let the pain overtake me and break me down like that. I held it in and prayed he wasn't angry and would let me.
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:34 pm

He sighed at her request. Luckily they were pretty slow and Holly would be able to handle mostly everything, and he could help. He knew Jessica had reason, feeling sorry for her he nodded. -Yeah, sure. Just..don't worry about it I understand. Go on out the back.- He turned to get the door and grabbed the handle giving her one last look. -You sure you're okay? Need me to call anyone?-

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:36 pm

"Thank you Sam, thank you so much. I hate to ask but...I just..." I shook my head and clasped my mouth shut. Exhaling slowly to calm myself I nodded. "Thank you." He looked back at me while he held the door and asked if I was sure. "NO! I mean, no don't call anyone. Please. I just need...to think. Alone. I'm sure I'm okay...just a lot to process." I gave him a forced smile and rushed out the door leaving a gust of wind in my wake, praying he didn't call anyone.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 1:12 pm