For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

Looking Onto Life Straight On, While Others Look Through Bifocals

Daniel Grimaldi
    Daniel Grimaldi

Looking Onto Life Straight On, While Others Look Through Bifocals Empty Looking Onto Life Straight On, While Others Look Through Bifocals

Post by Daniel Grimaldi Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:18 pm

*Watching the cameras most of the afternoon listening to the chatter, thinking it's going to be easy to sneak out to head to UMMC for one of Violet's to go bags. Picking something up for dinner on the way back if V feels good enough to eat if not I will make her some more broth, with the chicken I bought feeding the cooked chicken to BobCat who is getting a belly from all the inactivity. Sliding into my leathers and adding a thick black scarf for my neck. Grabbing my backpack to stash things.

Sneaking out of the bunker into the house using the garage door climbing onto the seat pushing the button to open the battered garage door. Starting the bike as it climbs up stopping I back out of the garage taking off like a demon was behind me hitting the button on the keyfob to close the garage door. Hitting the interstate eating up the miles to the outskirts of Jackson to the campus and the hospital complex, parking far enough away that if I was followed they wouldn't figure out where I went.

Walking to the desk talking to the intake clerk, she sends me back to the Neuro Wing, where I talk to a nurse who stares at me making me feel like I was pinned to a board. She turns on her heel leaving to stand there without a word. Sighing looking around she walks up handing me a bag with instructions handing me a pen to sign scrawling a name on them she hands me a copy, looking at me with a stare saying,*

"If you have any questions or she has a adverse reaction please call, I added a Epi pen since I was the one who did the intake workup from her Doctors notes. You have been taking care of her, do you have special training?"

*Nodding at her with a grim smile,*

I have had training yes. I know how to stabilize someone in the field. I was a PJ for a short stint, so I have more training than most. She's in good hands. Most of the problem lies in the climate and the level stress she's experiencing. I have tried to take as much of the stress off her, but my angel is a worrier. The more I tell her not to worry it just ratchets it up.

*Looking at my watch sighing,*

I need to hit the road still have to pick something to eat. Thank you for your help. I will bring her in and you can meet her, you will see how special she is.

*The nurse smiles as she waves to my retreating back. Finally working my way out of the big complex to my bike where I parked it. Hitting Violet's favorite burger place on my trip back out to the interstate, getting a few extra of everything for BobCat. My backpack is bulging. Seeing a girl with a dog next to a smoking car, pulling off to render aid. Her car catches fire and reach in before it spreads all over to grab out her purse and suitcase. Tears are streaming down her face, from her scent it's fear mixed with desperation. I pat her on the arm,*

It will be okay do you have auto club?

*She nods crying even harder,*

This car was my Grammies baby, and it's all I had left of her.

*Enfolding her into my arms as the emergency responders roll onto the scene. The men in tan turncoats and with black helmets put out the blaze as the trooper takes her information between crying and the hiccups. She calms a bit, asking the trooper to call her a taxi. She shakes her head no saying,*

"I ain't gots the money for it, I was going finish the walk to Nashville from here."

*Leaning over to the troopers ear saying,*

Look call her a taxi I will give her all the money in my pocket for the taxi ride to the nearest motel and she can sort out a bus or rental car with the rest.

*The trooper smile at me with a knowing look,*

"You are soft-hearted but there isn't a taxi to be had here, I will take her to the motel and make sure the owners get her to the bus station. There's not a rental car place within 50 miles. I will make sure she's taken care of."

*Walking over to the girl pulling out my wallet I have five one hundred dollar bills and four twenties putting it in her hand. She tries to give it back. Putting it back in her hand firmly saying,*

You will take this and the ride from the trooper to the motel, he knows the owner they will get you on a bus to Nashville. I was in a tight spot once and someone helped me, so all I ask is for you to help someone in need to repay it. I wish you well and hope things work out for you.

*The girl smiles as the trooper leads her and dog with her bags in hand. She smiles and waves getting into the cruiser. Getting back on my bike getting out into traffic heading towards my sick princess and my fat BobCat.*

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:57 pm