For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

Casting a pebble in the pond...

John Quinn
    John Quinn

Casting a pebble in the pond... Empty Casting a pebble in the pond...

Post by John Quinn Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:51 pm

Jonathan looked out at the crowd in the auditorium and smiled. This was a far better turnout he expected. As he looked over the multitude, he saw a few familiar faces and nodded toward them. Seated right in the front row, of course, was Joey and his family. Quinn nodded to them and move back to the podium to begin…

“A number of you know me, or at least know of me, and my involvement in the local community as of late. I would like to announce that in cooperation with the NOH8 foundation, we will be opening the New Horizons community outreach project next month. We are taking the old factory property across from the high school and retrofitting the facility into a community activity center. Through a donation from the EEE, as well as our partners here in Shreveport, and with the blessings of the Shreveport ISD; the outreach project has been granted both government funding and nonprofit status.”

John looked around watching what he was saying impact the crowd for continuing…

“Furthermore, several of the local unions will be running monthly workshops in part of the facility to help those in their mid to late teens begin to learn a trade. These skills will not only help to them eventually in the job market, but it will both give them something to be proud of and have the potential to lead to summer jobs working under a journeyman.”

He looked down and smiled at Joey, then nodded to his parents and continued…

“The EEE will be providing 24 hour security services for this facility to ensure that it is a safe haven for any in needed, no matter what time it is. All are welcome but as the philosophy of NOH8 states, there will be no hate tolerated. That means no verbal attacks and no physical harm on or anywhere near the facility. This is not aimed at those say been labeled as bullies, but rather gives an outlet for that extra energy that some seem to have an a more positive focus to use it. I do not want to keep you too long as I am sure you on things to do this evening. Thank you for giving us the time…”

As John exited the stage, the applause was thunderous as everyone rose to their feet.

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:59 am