For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

First shift

Kiara Griffen
    Kiara Griffen

First shift Empty First shift

Post by Kiara Griffen Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:01 pm

Kiara age 9

“But Dad….I’m scared” said the young Kiara. Tonight was the night she would attempt her first shift into a wolf. Her mother still didn’t approve of her trying at such an early age but her father figured if she had more time to perfect the art, by the time puberty hit she’d be more prepared.

Kiara’s father, a muscular man more resembling a big bear, with the well-kept beard to back it up smiled. Despite his fearsome look and build and eyes that seemed to be able to bring the toughest men to their knees, he was very doting over his only daughter. He wanted her to have a good shifting experience, where he could supervise and give advice instead of having her hormones make everything exponentially confusing. He picked up his young daughter and held her near his chest.

“Don’t you worry munchkin… I’ll be here, mommy will be here and we’ll help you every step of the way ok?” he said. Her mom, despite her own arguments to the case was glad that her husband at least wanted to do this indoors. Kiara would attempt to shift and be coached by them both.

“Daddy’s right…” she said as she walked up to her husband and her daughter. She kissed Kiara’s cheek. “We’ll be here and we’ll make sure nothing happens” she said, trying to reassure her young daughter.

Kiara nodded. She knew her parents would never let anything bad happen to her, but she just had no idea how to shift. It’s not like shifting came with instructions or some magic spell to say. Her father put her down on the floor. They were in the basement of their home, having moved all the furniture to the edges of the room. She had a big open space with nothing but her parents there.

“O-ok….what do I do?” she asked, looking up at her parents. Her father looked at her mother and she’s the one that spoke. “Well baby girl, you’ll have to get undressed. Shifting sometimes ruins your clothes” she said as she brought over a makeshift changing screen which was just some thick black curtains held up by some pvc pipes. She placed the screen near the corner.

“Here, stand behind this and take off your shirt, but before you take off your shirts you gotta stop and listen to daddy ok? Just stand behind here while you listen” she instructed. Kiara nodded and went to the corner. It felt weird taking off her clothes but again she trusted her parents.

“ok…I’m ready” she called out.

Her father smiled “Ok munchkin. Close your eyes and listen to the sound of my voice ok?” he said.

She nodded “ok daddy”

“Picture being outside. Feel the sun on your skin, the grass between your toes. Think of how nice the wind feels, the smell of the flowers. You want to be part of nature. You want to be free like the birds. You want to smell the honeysuckle of the flowers, hear the bees buzzing, feel the cold water on your face” he began to say. He wanted Kiara to feel that natural connection to nature all weres have. He didn’t want her to shift out of fear, he wanted her shift to come from joy to find being a wolf to be a good happy experience. So many wolves shifted out of fear or anger that it was the only way they could achieve shift. It was why they were such outcasts of society. He wanted to change that. He wanted the weres to blend in better in society but still remain true to the were roots.

Kiara smiled. She could hear her father speak and the image he painted in her mind was pretty. She pictured herself frolicking along the grass, smelling the flowers, running about barefoot. It felt great. She swore she could almost feel the grass between her toes. She could feel that bubble of joy build up inside her.

Her father smiled. As a wolf he could sniff when another were was going to shift. It ignited his own desire to shift but he knew that wouldn’t be helpful right now so he continued talking. “Remember how nice it felt to run alongside uncle Ruffus and uncle Bobby. Remember how safe you felt when the pack got together and they all got to meet you. You want to be part of that, you want to run with them, to go into the forest and see the world at night” he continued, reminding Kiara about the time she got to participate at the beginning of the full moon run. She’d got to meet most of his cop brothers in their wolf forms and she had loved it. She hadn’t been afraid of them and had loved running with them until she’d had to go back home.

Kiara smiled. She remembered that day. She’d never been with wolves before, not even her father had shifted in front of her but everyone had been so nice and it had been such a cool experience to get to hug big scary wolves and have them play with her. Just remembering that made her even more excited.

Something began to happen. She felt a weird tingling along her spine, like someone trailing something cool up her back. It made her shudder. She felt something gripped her around the navel and somehow in her mind she knew what to do even if she didn’t fully know what was happening. She placed her hands on the waistband of her pj pants and suddenly she dropped, but she didn’t hit the floor. Instead she blinked and found herself with a much lowered field of view.

All at once scents assaulted her strongly. She could smell her mother and father, their unique scents of both flowers and aftershave. She could smell the wood around her, the fabric of the furniture. She looked around and down. Where her hands would have been were now paws, covered in white fur that turned to black around where she thought would have been her wrist joints. Taking one step was sensory overload as the hard wood floors felt strange but wonderful beneath her feet…no paws. She suddenly darted out from behind the curtain needing to put her nose into everything, to roll around in everything that felt so new and wonderful.
    First shift 2911c1c
    Her father cheered and her mother clapped. “I knew my baby could do it!” he said with pride in his voice. She however was overcome with tunnel vision. She jumped to the couch at the edge of the room. She looked up, finally at more of an eye level that she was used to. Her father crossed his arms and frowned. Her mother chuckled “Oh relax honey… the white will fade and she’ll be the spitting image of you as a wolf” he said. He still frowned, like a little boy who was dissatisfied his cake was not bigger. Her mother chuckled more and slid her hand along his chest “don’t worry…I’ll make you forget all about her juvenile fur colors later on…in bed” she whispered.

Kiara made a whining noise and put her nose beneath her paw. That got a smirk and a laugh from her father. “Hearing is sharp as ever I see”

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 11:17 pm