For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

2 posters

Change is never easy

John Quinn
    John Quinn

Change is never easy Empty Change is never easy

Post by John Quinn Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:05 am

Quinn pulled in the garage and handed off the keys to one of the guards. He looked over just in time to see Arabella bolt from the garage. Neither of them had spoken during the drive home. He knew something was wrong, but how to ask? He was sure Compton was to blame, but how far would the petty king go to hurt him? He needed to know what happened, but he also needed to let her come to him with it. He needed the time to clear his head from the argument with Compton. He walked into his office and kept himself busy, trying to let his temper boil down to a low simmer.
    Arabella Trillo
    Arabella Trillo

Change is never easy Empty Re: Change is never easy

Post by Arabella Trillo Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:18 am

Arabella had remained silent the whole way home. How would she tell him? How would he react? She simply gazed out the window as they drove home. Home...that was going to mean something different now. She needed time, but knew it was short. She had only a day or two and that was no time for all she needed to do. How was she going to tell him? As soon as she felt the car stop, she slipped from the van and sped from the garage. The last thing she needed right now was for him to pry at why she was upset. She needed time to figure things out and puzzle out the best way to tell him. He was going to be angry at her choice. That was a given, but would he also understand her request?

As she reached her rooms, she pulled the door shut, dropping her blood stained clothing on the floor and headed for a nice slow shower. She saw the concern on Cassia's face and forced a smile. She watched Cassia pick up the clothes and toss them in the bin, then follow her into the bathroom and sit on the sink, quietly, with her eyes on the floor.

"I'm here if you need me, Ari. You looked upset, and there was a lot of blood on the shirt, so I figure you might be hungry."

Arabella smiled inwardly at how selfless her lover was at times. She silently held out her hand and nodded. She watched as Cassia stripped down and joined her in the shower, taking a washcloth and slowly washing the blood from her face, then gently washing her in the hot cascade. Another time, and in other circumstances, this shower might have ended up very differently and they both knew it, but Cassia was right. She did need something. She pulled Cassia close, kissing her, then moved to her neck, piecing Cassia's skin and drinking slowly, letting the sensation of the blood wipe the pain away for a few moments. She felt Cassia relax into her as she fed. Cassia always seemed to enjoy this, though Arabella was never sure why, but that was a talk for another time. Arabella was careful to only drink a bit,then bit down on her lip, kissing the wounds closed. When the had finished the shower, they sat on the bed and Arabella slowly went over the events of the evening.
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:39 am

As Quinn walked through the house, he was surprised to see the door to Arabella's wing closed. That was uncommon, but then he heard the shower running and thought he understood. He contacted the clothier and made arrangements to replace the outfit she had worn tonight. They would be able to deliver it during the day so she would have it available next time she wanted to wear it. He was still brooding about his argument with Compton. Why had it gotten so out of hand so fast? Why had they both been so high key? Well, at least this way he would not have to deal with Compton as much. He looked at his computer and saw the listing for the blood supply that was scheduled for delivery to Compton's estate. He considered canceling it, but that would only really hurt Brianna and Jessica. Compton could always just feed off his pet wolf. He moved up the delivery time so that the deliveries would happen during the day when Compton would not see his trucks come through. He could be civil and show that he was the better man.

He waited for Arabella to come talk to him for quite a while, but she had not come. He started to go to her but heard her talking in hushed tones to Cassia. He only picked up bits here and there.

"...had no choice...Brianna.....Quinn is.....we.......leaving.....tell him...."

He stepped away, tear in his eyes. It was pretty obvious what was going on. Compton had found the one true chink in his armor. The one way to hurt him beyond physical pain. He knew what he had to do, but would let her choose the timing. He went back to his office, but could not focus. He would never forgive Compton for this one...
    Arabella Trillo
    Arabella Trillo

Post by Arabella Trillo Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:43 am

Once Cassia understood what needed to be done, she went to Brianna's wing and began talking with the twins while Arabella pulled in her courage and went looking for Jonathan. He needed to know, and to know why. She had expected him to come by, but apparently he had been busy in his office. Just as well, she had needed time before doing this. She knocked as she entered his office.

"Jonathan? do you have a few minutes? We need to talk."
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:47 am

He caught her scent before she entered the room, and something he had never smelled on her before. She was afraid, but why?

"Jonathan? do you have a few minutes? We need to talk."

Looks like he would know soon enough. He looked up, forcing a smile and motioned for her to sit. He waited until she did and nodded to her.

"Since you brought the discussion, perhaps you would like to start?"
    Arabella Trillo
    Arabella Trillo

Post by Arabella Trillo Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:52 am

Could he already know? He seemed so calm now, but she knew his temper was still in there somewhere. The King always seemed to put him on edge. She didn't know what had happened when he forced his way in, only that she had been called in when he left.

"Jonathan, often when we are doing things, our plan do not flow where we thought they would."

She watched as he walked to the window while she talked. He motioned for her to continue.

"I am sorry to say that we have come to one of those instances here. When I went in following your discussion with the King, he and I had a few small things to discuss and he offered me a choice. A very hard one. I am not sure his reasons but he wants Brianna to remain at his estate but would like her training to continue."

She walked over, resting a hand on his shoulder.

"Jonathan, in order for that to happen, I will have to move there with her. I will be a part of his household and all that entails."
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:56 am

He listened quietly, already suspecting what she was leading up to. He stood quietly as she spoke, walking to look out the window. He would not let her see the tears in his eyes. She needed him to be strong while she spoke. He could at least give her that. He motioned for her to continue and listened while he looked out at the night. Then he heard what he had been waiting for...

"Jonathan, in order for that to happen, I will have to move there with her. I will be a part of his household and all that entails."

...ahh...there was the twist of the knife he had been waiting for. Compton had indeed found the one way to hurt him most. He felt the tears falling but kept his back to Arabella, even when she came and rested a hand on his shoulder. He would not turn to her and show weakness.

"So you have been given a choice, and choose to be with him rather than me."
    Arabella Trillo
    Arabella Trillo

Post by Arabella Trillo Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:00 am

"So you have been given a choice, and choose to be with him rather than me."

The pain was evident in his voice, and it gutted her.

"Jonathan, it is not like that. I promise, I can come visit you, I can even stay here sometimes, but in order to make things work, I will live there. I had hoped you would understand."

Her head dropped as she realized the King had struck at Jonathan and she was his knife. She had not even thought about how painful this would be for him as well. He had always been so prideful about his growing 'family' and how much it meant to him. It took everything in her to take this next step.

"Jonathan, I was hoping you would give me your blessing. I might even be able to help you with staying in touch with..."

She saw the shift in his shoulders, knowing he was coming to a decision and it made her pause.

"I'm sorry, Jonathan."
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:05 am

He listened to her as long as he could, trying to explain away her betrayal. Compton was even more devious than Quinn had realized. Not only had he found an unexpected way to strike at Quinn, but used a weapon that there was no defense against. Quinn knew what he needed to do, for both of them. He set himself and prepared mentally for what he was about to do.

"I'm sorry, Jonathan."

"Don't be, Arabella, my daughter. You had to make a tough choice, and that is never easy. In the long run, it may prove to be a good one. He can do much for you that I can not."

He turned to face her, taking her shoulders in his hands and looked deeply into her eyes.

"You have my consent to take this chance. Think not on pain but on the task at hand. You have my blessing and more. There is one more thing we must do, though. Come to me when you are ready to go to his home and we will discuss it."
    Arabella Trillo
    Arabella Trillo

Post by Arabella Trillo Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:07 am

"Come to me when you are ready to go to his home and we will discuss it."

What could he mean? Why wait until then? She sighed, looking in his eyes, a gentle hand touching his cheek, feeling the tears there.

"I do love you Jonathan, more than you realize. I will always be a part of your life."
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:40 am

"I do love you Jonathan, more than you realize. I will always be a part of your life."

He turned from her again, feeling the tears flowing again.

"You have much to prepare. If I know him, you were not given much time. Take what you wish with you. What you leave behind will be here if you come back for it."

He kept his back turned until she left, then walked back to his desk, pulling out a few small piece of paper. Perhaps she would be kind enough to deliver a small thing for him before completely changing sides. He thought carefully and began writing the notes to each person on his mind.

Change is never easy Billno10  Change is never easy Briann15

He carefully sealed each note, labeling them as appropriate and setting them on his desk. He knew what he needed to do for Arabella, but it would be far harder than writing those letters had been.
    Arabella Trillo
    Arabella Trillo

Post by Arabella Trillo Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:44 am

Once everything was arranged for the move, she went looking for Jonathan. The movers would be here during the day to move everything and she would follow with Cassia and the twins after sunset. She saw him right where she had left him, gazing out the window. He had given up so much for her, and now she was abandoning him. Her heart felt like a cold stone in her chest as she approached him.

"Jonathan, you wanted to see me?"
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:49 am

He was lost in thought until her voice brought him back.

"Jonathan, you wanted to see me?"

"Yes, there is one last thing I can do for you before you go. You may not understand why, but I think it will make things easier later down the road."

He turned and walked to the desk, picking up the letters.

"As a last service for me, please see that these get to the people they are addressed to."

He handed the letters to her and forced a smile. He waited while she put the letters in her bag and returned before him.

"Through life we have trials and troubles, pleasure and pain. I hope by this small thing I can do, I can spare you some of the pain at least."

He held her face in his hands, looking in her eyes, he spoke softly but clearly.

"As your Maker, I release you."

Arabella Trillo
    Arabella Trillo

Post by Arabella Trillo Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:52 am

"As your Maker, I release you."

She felt the shift inside her and it dropped her to her knees. There was not an emptiness where their connection had been. She could no longer feel him any more than anyone else. She had always been able to somehow feel that he was safe, now she felt nothing but a void in that spot in herself. She looked up at Jonathan, blood-tears pooling in her eyes.

"Jonathan, why have you done this? I never asked it of you."
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:58 am

"Jonathan, why have you done this? I never asked it of you."

The question felt like the knife in his heart turning slowly. He felt the void where their connection had been, and barely maintained his feet, but he needed to be strong for her now, more than ever.

"You will thank me in time, Arabella. This body is already badly abused, and will slowly break down. Now you will not have to endure my pain, should I feel it. We are still family, but you are now free. That is one gift I would not deny anyone. I would have done it sooner had you asked for it, but now you will serve only your own goals. You owe me nothing and none have any sway over your choices. Now please, leave me to my night sky. I have much to think on and you have much to do before you move to your new home."

He kissed her forehead and turned back to watch the night sky.

"Good bye, Arabella."

He shifted and padded out the door to the deck. He needed a good run before dawn and with him gone, it would be easier on her to do what she needed to.
    Arabella Trillo
    Arabella Trillo

Post by Arabella Trillo Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:01 am

As she watched the tiger run into the woods, she knew she would not see him again before she left. The King had given her two nights but it seemed she would only be using one of them. She turned from the window when she could no longer see him and sighed. This had not gone well, not even close, and she had the King to thank for everything she had lost. She walked slowly from the office and back to her rooms. She just wanted to be close to someone, and Cassia was waiting.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:22 am