For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

2 posters

Going Under

Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Going Under Empty Going Under

Post by Sam Merlotte Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:50 am

The bar had just opened for lunch and he had one customer come in. Jane Bodehouse, for her typical afternoon alcoholic drink. He didn't bother saying anything, and knew that no matter how many customers he didn't have, he could depend on Jane to buy his liquor. Sam looked around and sighed. With Emma and Luna at school today, he had a bar to tend to...with no customers. His waitresses were showing up to work and there would be nothing for them to do. Lafayette had the grill fired up waiting for orders.

After a few hours the road crew came in for lunch, followed by employees from the city hall. Nine customers were better than none. He wiped the bar down and placed a glass of wine on the counter for one of Sookie's tables. He'd been annoyed all day and it was just going to get worse because he had to do the books.
    Sookie Stackhouse
    Sookie Stackhouse

Going Under Empty Re: Going Under

Post by Sookie Stackhouse Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:00 pm

<she walked over and grabbed the glass of wine, smiling at Sam softly as she picked it up> Hey Sam. You look like someone killed your best friend. What's up? <She hadn't talked to him in what felt like forever; maybe he just needed someone to talk to.>
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:04 pm

-I'm fine Sookie.- He said then turned his back to her to put the money in the till, slamming the drawer shut. If not for Luna and Emma, he'd probably take the bottle of jack and disappear again, but he refused to go to that dark place again. The bar meant everything to him, and the thought of letting it slip through his hands...well. It wasn't good. A drunken Jane began to talk to him, slurring every word, "I see that woman you with all the time on tv! She was a man! Then was herself...can you do tricks like that Sam?!" He rolled his eyes and couldn't contain his anger. -You leave her out of it and mind your fucking business Jane. Just drink and shut up okay? You don't know her and frankly you don't know me either. So you don't like it? Get the fuck out!- He said as he pointed to the door and threw the bar rag down.
    Sookie Stackhouse
    Sookie Stackhouse

Post by Sookie Stackhouse Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:19 pm

SAM MERLOTTE!!! <She walked towards him, her eyes open wide in alarm. Jane, of course, was smiling like an idiot and drinking whatever it was she was drinking like it was going out of style.> Jane, I think you've had enough. I'll call a cab to take you home. <She went to the phone and dialed a cab before walking back over to Sam and putting a hand on his shoulder.>
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:23 pm

I don't need your damn sympathy!- He said as he stormed off to his office shaking his head. He kicked the swivel chair as it flew across the room, hitting the wall. -DAMNIT!- He yelled as he looked at the paperwork sprawled across his desk. Bills, Bills and more Bills. Payroll, stock bills, food bills, things that needed fixing bills. There was just no way he'd make it. The money he had saved up he'd been using on bills the last six months just to keep the bar a float. He placed his hands on the desk and leaned forward, closing his eyes. Wishing there was some solution.
    Sookie Stackhouse
    Sookie Stackhouse

Post by Sookie Stackhouse Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:56 pm

<She frowned then winced when she heard him throwing things. Walking slowly to the door, she put her hand on the knob and pushed it open so that she could peek her head in.> Sam? Talk to me....<She opened the door so that she could slip inside, then shut it behind her; crossed her arms over her chest and looked at him where he stood, leaning on the desk looking pissed at the world.> I thought we were friends.
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:10 pm

He shook his head and sighed. -Sookie, I just got a lot on my plate right now, okay. It's not you....it's not. you.- He said as he stood up and rubbed his eyes, looking left out the window. He walked over and picked up his computer chair and sat it back on the wheels in front his desk, as he plopped down into it and picked up some of the papers shaking his head. -It's no use anyhow. The bar is going under and I can't save it this time. You should start looking for another job.-
    Sookie Stackhouse
    Sookie Stackhouse

Post by Sookie Stackhouse Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:47 pm

I.... Are you..... <She looked at him, eyes starting to well slightly with tears> Am I fired? <Please God, don't let me be fired - that was all she could think as she stood there and looked at him. If she lost this job, she was screwed. She really didn't think that she could handle asking anyone for money.> What can I do to help?
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:47 pm

He slammed his hand on the desk out of frustration seeing her jump, he sighed. -You're not...FIRED, Sookie. But soon I won't even have the funds to pay my employees. I'm just giving you a heads up so you CAN find work.- Sam leaned back in his chair and groaned with stress. He listened to her ask if there was something she could do to help. With a humorless laugh he said, -Yeah, work for free....or come up with...I don't know, twenty grand.- Saying it outloud of how badly in debt he was added to his growing headache.
    Sookie Stackhouse
    Sookie Stackhouse

Post by Sookie Stackhouse Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:56 pm

I... I'll think of something, Sam. Just... please, don't give up, okay? <She walked over and put a hand on each of his shoulders, lowering her head so that she could look at him.> Hey. Look at me. <stared at him>
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:59 pm

Looking down at the papers he heard her walk closer to her. His mind full of swears and thoughts on what he could do as he sighed and swiveled in his chair to look at her.
    Sookie Stackhouse
    Sookie Stackhouse

Post by Sookie Stackhouse Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:30 pm

I still have some money that I earned when I was working for Eric. And.... and my cousin left me some money in her will, too. When I get home I'll go through and figure something out, okay? <She met his eyes again> This place is home to a lot of people, Sam. You can't just give it up. <Her eyes watered up again and she wiped at them angrily> We'll get through this.
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:30 pm

‎-Sookie, I can't take your money. I just can't. Look now, I appreciate your help and I'm not just.....giving up. But there's nothing I can do.- He was a little too proud to take a handout. She only meant the best, but he got into this problem he needed to get himself out. Plus, he doubted she had that much money, so paying 1/4 of the debts still wouldn't do any good.
    Sookie Stackhouse
    Sookie Stackhouse

Post by Sookie Stackhouse Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:02 pm

Sam. It's not a handout. I will figure something out, okay? I promise. We'll get through it, just like we always do! <Moved to wrap her arms around him, hugging him tight> You're the best boss, and one of the best friends, a person could ask for. I hope you know that. <She let go of him and took a step back, smiling brightly and wiping at the stray tears.>
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:02 pm

-Thank you, Sookie. For everything you do and are trying to do.- Soon he felt her arms around him and he hugged her back. He smelled the vampire on her but said nothing. As long as he could still smell the vanilla shampoo she uses, he was content. It was familiar...comforting. -Hey now, why are you crying, cher?- He wiped her tear away with his thumb.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 5:10 am