For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

Never Give Up

Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur
    Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur

Never Give Up Empty Never Give Up

Post by Arlene Fowler-Bellefleur Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:52 am

With so much on the news lately about such young, precious lives being ended too soon due to being victims of bullying, it makes me worried sick about my own kids. I am a good mom, I try to be. Sure, sometimes I may put in too many hours at Merlotte's, but I do my best.

Of course, my kids are not naive to what is going on around them. Lisa and Coby are both getting so grown up, they understand the news, to a point. Yesterday was my only day off this week, and I spent the whole day with my Lisa, Coby, and Mikey. It was a bit upsetting that Terry did not have the day off, seems like we never have the same days off anymore, but it was nice to have a day with my kids. Lisa and Coby, of course, were both full of questions about bullying and these poor victims, some I didn't have the right answers for. But, I told them the bottom line is, bullying is never okay, and if they see someone getting bullied, they need to stand up for them.

The one question they asked that I really struggled with was including vampires. Yes, vampires make me uncomfortable. I mean, they always want your blood, and that's a scary thought to me. How else am I supposed to feel about vampires? They're dangerous! But, how could I tell my kids bullying is wrong, and then turn around and say it's okay if it is just with vampires? They may not be human, but bullying, I guess, does include them, too. So, I said the only thing I could think of at that time: "Lisa, Coby, vampires are scary. Be careful around them. But, I don't want to ever hear of you bullying anybody, you understand? That includes vampires."

Lisa, always paying attention, said, "But, Mama, you don't like vampires."

I sighed, "Sweetie, you don't have to agree with someones decisions, you don't have to like someone, and you most certainly don't have to enjoy being around someone. But, you do have to remember that everyone has feelings, and everyone has their own way of handling pain. It is never okay to hurt someone and make them feel alone".

Lisa and Coby both seemed to understand. They both even swore to always be there for Mikey as he gets older and needs to be guided and protected. While I was tucking Lisa in for bed, she even told me a kid at her school was being bullied. But, she said, "Mama, tomorrow, I'm gonna go up to her and tell her what you told me. I'm gonna tell her that it will all get better and not give up".

As I kissed my kids and tucked them in last night, I said, "That's right, Lisa, it DOES get better".

I am so proud of my kids.

***Bullying is never okay. Often times bullies are really either afraid, being bullied themselves (often times at home), or think who they are bullying has something they don't have themselves. This is commonly said, but it is so very true: suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. No matter how bad it may get with bullies, always try to keep in mind that there are people out there that love you for who you are, regardless of your imperfections (flaws) or what you may or may not believe in. Nobody is perfect. We are all human, we all have feelings. If you are a victim of bullying, take one breath and one step at a time, and find others who are being bullied over the same things you are. Often times, if you can find someone who is going through the same thing (or even those that have gone through the same thing before), it will help you. Never think that you are alone because right now, in your life, there are people that love you, and there are people you have never even met, yet, that will love you, too. Remember: IT GETS BETTER.***

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 10:27 pm