For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

Be It Ever So Humble

Kenya Jones
    Kenya Jones

Be It Ever So Humble Empty Be It Ever So Humble

Post by Kenya Jones Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:04 am

*Looking down on a simple granite headstone, reading Lula Mae Jones with her birth year and the year she died. Money was tight then, so Big Mama's burial and headstone aren't what I wished for her, she was my rutter and till she helped shape me into the person I am today. Without her in our lives, we would have turned out much worse. She is one of the reasons I went into the Corps. I wanted to see the world outside of Renard Parish and Louisiana. It was the simplest way to travel, learning some leadership skills, to advance in this world. The Corps gives you the tools to build your life, it's up to you to use them to you advantage. Sitting down on the ground next to Big Mama's grave, laying the pretty red poppies on the grave. She said poppies always made her smile.*

Big Mama it's another Thanksgiving without you, but I will carry on the traditions and cook the dinner for the Jones family what's left of it. I am teaching India but that girl can't boil water without scorching it. I will prevail and turn her into a cook, never worry.
    I came out here to talk to you about Marcus, should I invite him to the dinner? His attentions have slowed down to almost a trickle, I am busy with work, and he's busy as well. His Mama and Grandmama keep him hopping as well. I know you said a man who treats his Mama well is a good man. But they haven't cut the apron strings, and he's 35 years old. They say jump he says Yes Ma'am how high and where to. I can't see us lasting to meeting Santa at the Renard Parish Christmas Fair. So I will extend the invitation and if he doesn't accept I will not get all bent out of shape.

Big Mama India has met a girl, now don't go there. India is happy and I am happy that's she's happy. She's working steady and thinking of starting classes online. This girl is a good influence on her. Oh how are the boys? Well the boys they work hard and party harder. They have slowed down some, and the hell raising is a bit less noticeable.

Oh Big Mama I miss you so much. *wipes a tear sniffling* I didn't come out here to whine to you, I came to do our thing about what are we thankful for in our lives. So to recap Big Mama, I am happy for your love and guidance you gave me. I am happy for the Corps, the tools they gave me to build my life. I am happy for India and her girlfriend. I am happy that it gave her some direction. I am somewhat happy about Marcus, that I met him and he showed me how what it feels like to be a woman again. I am happy the boys have jobs loving what they do, and the partying is slowing, I hope soon they will find someone to love and settle down. I guess I am happy for my job at Renard Parish as a deputy. I know I whine and gripe about it but I do make a positive impact on the Parish. I am thankful for Jesus like you and the church taught me. Having Jesus as your copilot it will never steer you wrong. Big Mama if you run across Jesus or his family tell them hello. If you see Mama tell her I miss her and love her as well. Well I have to head back out, my dinner break is about up. I will make a effort to come by more.

*Walking back to the cruiser crawling in buckling up and starting the motor, heading back towards town.*

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:12 am