For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

Daddy Dearest

Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry
    Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry

Daddy Dearest Empty Daddy Dearest

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:52 pm

I woke after sunset and parted ways with Quinn as he headed off to a meeting in Baton Rouge and I got dressed for what I knew I had to do. I had to investigate more into my human family and what I'd seen that night when they came to the diner. How ironic of all places to go to dinner they chose Bon Temps. I remember going as a family once but after daddy realized it was a bar too, he said it wasn't "family oriented" enough. Now here they were eating at Merlotte's and he ordered a beer. He was drinking more, that was obvious. Mama and Eden looked scared of him, and the bruises...they weren't easy to miss. Maybe to the human eye, but my enhanced smell and vision, it was unavoidable. It took everything I had not to do anything, not to make my presence known. Sam giving me the night off helped, I had called him later to ask about taking a few days to get some things together for moving which was not completely a lie. Not entirely. Quinn still didn't know about my run in with my human family and a part of me didn't think it important to say anything.

As I pulled down the road to where my parents lived, shutting off the engine once I parked far enough away from the house to not alert the neighbors. It was around eight at night, I secretly prayed I was wrong...that everything I'd seen had an explanation. Was I wrong to be here? Should I have told Quinn? No, this was my problem. I went back up to the window I always used to look in on them, remembering the last time I was here was Christmas. Had it all been some kind of facade making me think everything was A-okay? Only one way to tell...

"You promised you'd stop! You said it for Christmas! Why are you doing this Jordan?!" My mother yelled at him with tears in her eyes, pain in her throat as she fought to keep a steady voice. He grabbed her throat and pushed her against the wall, visibly intoxicated.

"Daddy...please don't do this." Eden said softly through her own tears as she watched it all unfold.

"You shut up! Go to your room, this doesn't concern you." He said to her roughly as she cried harder, scared and trembling. Looking back to my mother he slammed her head against the wall. "What did I tell you about questioning me?? You have no right, you are my wife you obey me. Jessica has been dead two years now, why? Because you didn't do your job. If you'd kept an eye on her like I said, she would have never snuck out that night. It's.all.your.fault."

I covered my mouth and felt anger run through me. Eden stepped forward and touched his arm, "Daddy Jessica isn't dead, we can't give up hope." He turned and backhanded her across the face, making her fall to the floor. "I told you to go to your room Eden." He let my mother go and went to the kitchen pouring another glass of whiskey. My father had crumbled and broken into this...sure he'd used his belt one too many times on me, but never ever had he hit Eden. My mother had a black eye and Eden's face was red. I glared at him, remembering all the beatings with the belt and how it felt. Most of the time it was because I spoke my mind about how unfair he was being. Other times, very rare...it was because he was drinking. When he was drinking he was another man. All the memories came flooding at once, the beatings, the anger, the yelling. My mother always ignored it, it was easier than facing the truth. She kept her head down, standing behind her husband no matter what.

He placed the glass of light brown liquid to his lips and downed it. Straight whiskey from what I could smell. What happened to my family? My fists that were clenched at my sides drew my attention when I felt the pain for the first time. My nails had dug into my palm, causing me to have droplets of blood escape. Before I could think I sped to the door and knocked, not remembering if I was invited in. No answer...I knocked again-harder. "Hold your damn horses." He slurred out. Once he opened the door, standing there holding his glass of bourbon, I snarled and grabbed him by the shirt before Eden or my mother could see me. With speed I held him off the ground running, the fear in his face priceless.

Once I hit the wooded area that was far enough from town no one would hear his screams, I threw him against the trunk of a tree. His back making a loud thud sound at the impact. I stood there staring at him with narrowed eyes, my fangs hidden as I kept myself in control wanting to enjoy this. He scrambled on the ground trying to stand, but was so drunk he could barely manage. He leaned back against the tree and blinked hard. "Jess---Jessica??" Shaking his head to make sure he was seeing right, I grinned. "Hello....daddy." I said sarcastically.

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 6:30 pm