For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

Rising To The Top

Nora Gainsborough
    Nora Gainsborough
    Authority Minion
    Authority Minion

Rising To The Top Empty Rising To The Top

Post by Nora Gainsborough Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:21 pm

"We are far from even. I will find you." He then vanished off into the cold midnight air. I looked to Salome who had been staring at me. A sheepish smile turned up on her face. "I'm sorry it had to come to that Nora, but I would not have liked to see a good friend of mine be executed. We'll just have to look past this and move on. No one will know about this ever happening, okay?" I nod my head. "Okay, good." She said, "Now let's return back inside." I nod my head once again and follow Salome inside.

As we walk inside, Salome leads us into her office. She leans against her desk with arms crossed over her chest. I could tell there was something more than Darius on her mind. I looked to her with my brow slightly raised. "Salome, is there another reason why you have led me to your office?" She looked back to me with a concerned expression on her face. "Nora, the authority wants me to take you with me to catch a vampire fugitive." I titled my head to the side just slightly wondering just exactly what this mission would entail. As if reading my mind, she began to explain. "The Authority has been watching you closely ever since you were accepted here. They believe you are highly skilled enough to become a chancellor, but to do that, you have to help me capture this vampire fugitive." Still looking at her, I became intrigued and a bit flattered that the authority had thought I was skilled enough to become a chancellor. I nodded and asked, "Okay, so what's the problem?" She looked back at me intently. "Well, this vampire fugitive that we are after has killed one of his own, his king actually."

She stands up straight and walks behind her desk, reaching into the file cabinet next to the wall pulling out a manila folder. As she opens the folder, I could see photos and a small biography on this vampire. I redirected my focus back to her as she sat down in her chair never losing my gaze. "Here is the file of this vampire. According to the file, he is heading towards Texas, which is where we will be travelling to. The difficult part is, this vampire is reckless and quick. If we have any chance of finding him, we have to be efficient or else we'll lose him for good. In this file it also says he's over 3,000 years old and originally from England." I looked up from the file, and back to her. "Nora," She began to say in a condescending tone, "this vampire is very powerful. What concerns me is, when we do find him, what kind of condition he will be in and how much damage he will do to the both us. This is a dangerous mission and I can understand if you refuse." Studying her face, I take a seat in the chair across from her desk and think it over. Ever since I discovered what a chancellor was and how much power they had, I've always admired to become one and if catch a vampire fugitive was all it took, then there was no way I could refuse.

"I accept."I said and her eyes grew wide. "You do?" She asked, surprised. I nodded. "Yes, I do. From day one of being a member of the Authority and being taught what a chancellors role is in this facility, my utmost admiration has always been to become one and if this is all I have to do, then I won't refuse." She sat back in her chair, crossing one leg over the other. "Okay, Nora. I admire your boldness and courage in this. I shall let the others know about your agreement on this mission. And if you do happen to catch this vampire fugitive, you will then be offered the title of a chancellor." Salome smirks at me and I could tell that she was proud of me. I smirked back at her knowing I had done well. "Good." I said with confidence. Salome raised a brow at my remark and her smirk turned up into a sadistic grin. "Yes, it is. Now, it's almost sun rise, you should return back to your room and rest. You're going to need it." I raised a brow. "And why is that?" I asked. She chuckled back at me, "Because we are leaving tonight at sundown to catch this fugitive."I looked back at her intently. I nodded my head. "Okay." I stood up and started to turn towards the door before I heard her say. "Oh, Nora." I turned back around to face her. "Yes?" I ask. She leaned down towards the cabinet again, opening the drawer and pulling out another manila folder. "You wouldn't want to forget this." She holds it up before tossing it on her desk. "You're going to need it. If you're going to catch a fugitive, you'll have to know everything about him. So I suggest that you read it over because I know that you'll have some trouble sleeping tonight." She winks back at me and I walk over towards the desk and pick up the folder. "Okay, thank you." I say as I turn back around and head towards the door. As I begin to turn the door knob, I hear Salome's voice once more. "Nora." She said solemnly. "I'm really sorry about Darius." Without turning around, I say back to her softly. "I know." I turn the door knob and leave her office, closing the door behind me.

As I lie in my coffin attempting to get some rest, I begin to think about Darius and how he earned his title as a Sanguinista. I wondered if he ever had to hunt a vampire or go through much more extreme physical labor to earn his title. However he earned it, it had all been taken away so quickly just because of his own mistakes. In a way I didn't care enough to feel guilty because it was his own doing, in another way I did because Darius had meant a lot to me. My thoughts began to slow and I shook off the memory Darius. I began to think about more important matters at hand, the mission. I picked up the folder that had been resting on the side of the coffin next to my arm and opened it. As I started flipping through the pages, I couldn't help but to read,

"Three- thousand year old vampire fugitive was found ripping and tearing another unidentified vampire to shreds limb from limb. - 1923 in Brighton, England.

At that moment I realized Salome had been right, this vampire was reckless. I continued to read in-taking every bit of information as I could about this vampire that I had been assigned to capture.

Night fall had approached as I stepped out of my coffin, preparing myself for the mission. Salome had ordered me to meet her in her office so we could discuss the destination we were assigned to travel to. As I finish preparing, I heard a knock on my door. I walked over to my door, wondering who it had been. I turned the door knob and saw Salome standing there, in front. She studied me and smirked. "Are you ready? The others are waiting in the foyer to give us the last bit of information before we leave." I nodded my head and grabbed the file from the chair it had been lying on. "Yes."I said with a confident smile on my face. Still smirking she said. "Good, let's go." I nodded my head once again and stepped out of my room, closing and locking the door behind me. I followed Salome down the corridor until we reached the foyer where all the leaders had been standing, awaiting for our arrival. Salome looked back at me with a smile. I exchanged the smile and watched as the vampires noticed us walking in. Their heads had turned towards our general direction all in unison. One of the leaders approached us. He was tall and thin with brown hair. Well, what was left of it, it seemed to have been receding. He looked from Salome to me and smiled.

"You must be Nora Gainsborough?" He asked. I looked back to him and nodded. "Yes, sir, I am." He extended his hand. "My name is Roman." I extended my hand as well giving Roman's a light shake. "We here at the authority have seen your work and might I say, we are greatly impressed. This whole mission that we've assigned to you and Salome may seem a little," He pauses for a moment and smirks.
    “unorthodox, but we believe you'd be an excellent leader and would like you to be a chancellor. We have seen your leadership skills in other tasks we've assigned for you and you have passed every single one with above average scores. You are very capable and extremely competent to earn this title, we'd be delighted to award you with it. So what do you say, Ms. Gainsborough?"

I smile back at him and nod my head. "I'd be delighted for you all to award me with this title. I've been waiting for this day since the moment I stepped foot into this facility." Roman grinned. ”Excellent! Now this fugitive you two are assigned to find is extremely dangerous. He is a threat to our kind. We don't usually recommend that you give a vampire 'True Death' when you do capture them, but because of his extremes and his very long past, we think it would be best if you do. If you don't, he may kill you. I also hope you did your homework and read the file on him, because you will need to know everything about him."I nodded my head. "Yes, Sir. I have." He looked back to me. "Good." He looked over at Salome. "If anything happens, contact us immediately, do not hesitate. If you do find him, I want you to kill him on sight. I want you two back in 72 hours. You have all the resources you need. If anything changes on his current location, we will contact you and make you aware of these changes." Salome had nodded her head. "Yes, Roman. We will notify you if anything does happen." He nodded his head back to her. "Good, now you two should be on your way. There isn't any time to waste." He looked between us both. Salome and I nodded our heads to him. Still looking between us he said. "Good luck to you both." We both looked to Roman, nodding our heads once again and said. "Thank you."We gave Roman and the rest of the leaders one last glance before turning away, walking out the front door of the building.

Twenty hours had passed since we started on our journey, crossing borders. Our limit as Roman had ordered was 72 hours; Time was of essence now. Before in the past I wouldn't have cared about time, but when it consists of a mission that would promote me to become a Chancellor, time meant everything. We finally had crossed the border of Texas and the vampire fugitive's location had only been sixteen miles out from where we were. Salome looked to me. "Nora, the sun is about to rise, we should rest here." She pointed to a dark abandoned farm house surrounded by dead weeds that had touched the frame of the windows. I nodded my head and followed behind her, entering in through the front door. As we stepped inside I could tell the place had not been owned for years. There had been cobwebs in every corner, on every piece of dusty old ripped furniture and the floor boards looked as if they were above to cave-in. "Over here." I heard Salome call from the next room so I walked over to where she was and saw her point to a stair well that led down into the basement. She began to walk down the stairs, into the basement and I followed behind her. As we got to the bottom of the stairs, I looked around and it had been completely pitch black. The floor was dirt, not cement. I knew this house was built many years ago. Salome turned around and looked to me. "We'll sleep here for the day and continue on at sundown tonight." I nodded my head and watched her as she found a dark cubby hole to sleep in. I did the same and tried to make myself comfortable in this strange home. I wondered who had owned it and why it was left abandoned. I shrugged off the thought and closed my eyes, drifting off.

My eyes had shot open in the middle of my sleep. I sat up right, sniffing the warm mid night air noticing something was different in the scent of the house. Concerned, I moved from my location over to where Salome had been sleeping, I noticed that she had awoken as well. "Do you smell that?" I whisper. She nods her head and says quietly. "It's not human or werewolf, we should go and check it out." I nod my head and she walks over, " Stay behind me." I nod my head and follow her up the stairs. As we reach the first floor, I had noticed that the front door was open a crack. I looked to Salome and could tell she had noticed the same thing. We crept slowly past the kitchen and into the living room, but nothing was there. As we finished searching the first floor, we began to walk up the second flight of stairs onto the second floor. I had followed Salome into every room on the second floor and nothing had been up there either. We looked to each other confused. "We need to be cautious, this could be trap." She said sternly. I looked back to her nodding my head in agreement. Something told that it was more than likely a trap.

I followed Salome back down the stairs onto the first floor. As we walked into the kitchen, Salome's phone had gone off. She immediately answered it. "Hello, Roman." She said. "Wait, are you sure?" She kept nodding her head, listening intently. I saw her eyes grow wide with shock. I knew whatever he told her, it wasn't good. "Okay, thank you for the update, we will be on high alert." She hung up the phone and turned to face me. I looked to her standing there without saying a word. "Salome?" I ask. "What is it?" She looked at me with concern and slight fear in her eyes. "He is here. He is in the.." Just before she could finish the sentence the fugitive had turned the corner into the kitchen behind Salome walking slowly towards us. "Kitchen."He said coldly with an evil laugh escaping his lips. Salome immediately turned around. He chuckled. "Is there something wrong ladies?" He grinned. "I know why you two are here, I hear I am wanted?" He asks sarcastically. "Well which of you two wants me first."He steps closer with an evil grin upon his face. "Oh, are you scared?" I could feel tension growing inside me. This vampire was nothing but an egotistic killing machine. Salome looked at the man showing no sign of concern as he stepped closer.

"Yes, you are wanted for the True Death." Salome says back. He snorts out a laugh. "Listen there, doll, the only True Death here will be yours." Just after he had said that he used his vamp speed and threw Salome against the cabinets in the kitchen pinning her down. I popped out my fangs in anger and vamp sped over to him throwing him off of Salome. He chuckled after hitting the wall and said. "You are powerless little vampire." He growled and vamp sped at me, tossing me across the hall into the next room. As I fell, skidding across the dusty hard wood floors, I looked up and noticed the fugitive holding Salome up against the wall gripping her neck. The anger inside me grew even more. I looked around the living room for anything wooden and as I saw an old wooden chair, I walked over to it, breaking off the leg of it, making sure the point on the wood was sharp. I slowly crept around the back entrance of the kitchen and as I looked in, they were nowhere insight. I raised a brow wondering where they could have gone. Then all of a sudden I heard Salome yell. "Nora! Turn around!" I turned around and all I could see was the fugitive getting thrown at me. I held up my steak as he flew towards me and punctured it into his heart. I was now covered in blood from a dead vampire. I looked over to Salome, she had been standing at the other entrance of the room staring back at me. The room fell silent for a brief second before Salome had said. "We have a phone call to make."

I nodded my head as Salome pulled out her phone and began dialing Roman's number. I watched her wait on the line until he picked up. "Roman, we got him. He is dead." She listened in and nodded her head. "Okay, we'll see you as soon as you get here." She closed her phone and slid it into her pocket. I looked at her, intrigued. "What?" I ask. She looked over at me with a smile on her face. "They are coming here to assess the scene."I smile back her. "Really? Well, that's good. What do we do while we wait?" She smirked back. "Sit and wait." I nod back with a smirk on my face. "Okay."I take a seat in the old ripped up chair next to Salome and wait for the others to come.

Hours had passed as we waited and we had finally heard a knock on the door. Salome stood up from her chair and answered it. As they walked in, I stood up from my chair, watching Salome talk with them. Roman walked into the living towards me. He studied me from head to toe, covered in vampire blood and smiled. "Well, Ms. Gainsborough, looks to me like you've killed our fugitive." I smiled back and nodded my head. “Yes, I did. With this stake too." I held up the stake showing him the evidence. He nodded. "I can see that, very well done, I was also told that you saved Salome?" I nodded my head once again. "Yes, Sir." He smiled back at me. "That's very noble of you, Ms. Gainsborough. It takes a true leader to save one's mentor. And for that, I will now award you with the title of Chancellor." As he had announced my promotion aloud, everyone had turned to watch. I smiled back at Roman. "Thank you, Sir."He smiled back to me."You're welcome, Ms. Gainsborough. It's my pleasure. I will give you everything you need on the matter of this promotion when we return, but for now we need to return back to the authority and announce the good news to everyone else." He looked at me again. “And you need to get yourself cleaned up." He turned around and joined the other leaders who had been standing by the door. Salome walked over to me with a smile on her face. "Congratulations, Nora." I smiled back at her. "Thank you , Salome." I heard Roman say to us from across the room. "We will see you two soon. Congratulations, Ms. Gainsborough." He then turned and vanished out the front door with the rest of the leaders off into the night.