For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

A Helping Hand

Rikki Mercer
    Rikki Mercer

A Helping Hand Empty A Helping Hand

Post by Rikki Mercer Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:00 pm

*She had left Alcide at the worksite, to go into town for an appointment. After her appointment was over, she headed down the street to a small diner, a place she had frequented quite often before moving in with Alcide. Walking down the street, she saw a woman and a child sitting on a planter, their backs to her. She slowed as she heard the child crying, telling the mother how hungry he was, and asking why they couldn't go get something to eat. Slowing, and glancing over, she could see the mothers tears streaming down her face, causing her heart to break. Stopping like she was looking in the window, she heard the mother speak softly to the child "sweetie, mommy is looking for a job, and a place to live, and I know its hard, but at least we are together. I am doing everything I can, and I will see what I can do about getting you something to eat, I promise." Turning as the mother looked up, seeing the look of fear in her eyes, as she thought she had been overheard, she watched the mother wipe her face and whisper to the child, then get up and start walking away. Standing there, indecision in her head, she knew she could not let the child go hungry, nor the mother, so she ran after them and called out to the woman*

Excuse me ma'am..... Ma'am, can I talk to you for just a moment?

*seeing the two of them keep walking, she sped up and fell into step beside them, speaking softly*

Ma'am I would like to help you, if you will let me.

*seeing the incredulous look on her face, she watched as the woman slowed and stopped, looking around, before speaking silently. "and just how do you propose to help me? Can you give me a place to live? a job? food on the table?" Watching the mother wipe tears, she shook her head and laid a hand on her arm*

I might be able to do all that, but for now, would you let me buy you and your little one lunch? I am headed down to the diner *pointing to the sign* and I would love some company, if you wouldn't mind joining me. I might also have a place for you to stay, and a lead for a job, but need to speak to my fiancee about that first, I mean if your interested.

*waiting patiently, the child tugging on the mothers arm, whispering how hungry and tired they were. Seeing the mother look up at her, the mother nodded and turned towards the diner, walking along, telling her how grateful she and her child was.

Making their way into the diner, Rikkie moved to a back booth, and slid into the seat, watching the mother and child slide in across from her. Smiling, she handed the mom a menu and told her to order anything she wanted to eat, as well as whatever the child wanted. The waitress walked up, Rikki ordered a coke, and then looked to the child and the mother*

What would you guys like to drink? *seeing the childs eyes light up, hearing the whispered plea for a chocolate milkshake, the mother shook her head, saying it was too expensive. Rikki shook her head, and looked at the waitress*

On second thought, I would like a strawberry shake, and the little one here would like a chocolate one, and then if.... *she looked at the woman across from her, never having gotten her name, and waited for her to speak "Michelle, and I would like a cup of coffee please". Rikki smiled and looked at the waitress*

And a cup of coffee for Michelle please. Do you guys know what you want to eat?

*She looked at Michelle, and waited for her to order, seeing the hesitation on her face, and in her eyes. Smiling at her, she nodded and looked at the little one next to her*

Pick anything you like, don't worry about it, anything you want on the menu, my treat.

*listening as Michelle ordered for her little one, and then herself, Rikki ordered a cheeseburger and fries. Watching the waitress walk away, she turned to Michelle*

Before we finish, I want you to order something to take with you, and I need to make a quick call to a friend of mine ok? to see about getting you a place to stay for a while....

*seeing the fear in her eyes, Rikki looked at her, and pulled out her phone, calling her old landlord, to see if her old apartment was still empty. Dialing the number, she heard him pick up. Speaking quickly into the phone, she told him what was going on, and managed to convince him to let Michelle and her child stay in the apartment, with the first month free. Smiling, she told her old landlord that she owed him, and they would be there in about an hour. Hanging up, she smiled and handed Michelle a key.*

This is the key to my old apartment, where you will be staying. The first month is free, so in that length of time, we should be able to find you a job, and its an affordable and clean place. I will take you there when we finish here.

*the waitress brought their food, and Michelle ordered two plates to go and then set about eating her food. They hate like they were starved and it brought tears to Rikki's eyes. She managed to eat her food, choking it down because she couldn't throw any of it away, knowing people were on the street starving. Finishing up, she ordered a large coffee to go for Michelle and then a large soda for the little one. Looking at Michelle, she spoke softly*

What is.... his? name? *seeing Michelle hug him close, she smiled over at Rikki* His name is Aaron, and he is 7 years old. I dont know how to thank you for everything, and I will repay you for your kindness.

*Rikki smiled and shook her head*

You owe me nothing, everyone needs a helping hand every now and then.

*paying the waitress and picking up the food, they headed to her truck, and she drove them to her old apartment building, leading them in and introducing them to their new landlord. Grabbing the spare key that the landlord handed her, she led them up to the apartment, opening the door and leading them in. Putting the food into the fridge, she led Michelle to the bedroom, showing her around. Handing her the spare key, she ruffled Aarons hair, and headed to the door, stopping and pulling out a card, writing her cell number on the back*

This is my number. I will talk to my fiancee about a job, and will stop by tomorrow to let you know what he said ok? *seeing Michelle nod, then reach out and hug her, she stepped out, and ran downstairs and out to her truck. Heading back to the worksite to talk to Alcide.*

A Helping Hand Turn_around_homelessness_case_study_zpsce8ae4d2