For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

2 posters

Brand New Day

Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry

Brand New Day Empty Brand New Day

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:07 am

After she left Bill to think about what he would do, to save Sookie or not, she went back outside and watched the interactions between everyone. It made her think of her own advice, to fight for the one she really loved...or let them go. It seemed simple, it really did...but it wasn't. Leaning against the white column of the porch, she looked out into the yard. Some vampires were screwing on the front lawn in front of all to see, the others were playing volleyball, Pam and Tara were in the distance talking, Jason was near the entrance of the woods letting Violet feed from him. She scowled and folder her arms across her chest, knowing that Jason was happy helped...but was he...really happy?

She looked over at James who hit the volleyball and then turned to look at her with a wink. He was so sweet, but still she couldn't stop thinking of Quinn. Damn him.
    Vincent Davis
    Vincent Davis

Brand New Day Empty Re: Brand New Day

Post by Vincent Davis Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:19 am

Vincent was still a bit flustered by the news. He still held the photo and printout of the statement from Anton that Mr. Quinn was back. Having found him in prison of all places? That was disturbing. He had promised Ms. Hamby to tell her if he heard anything. Even with all that had been going on, he was still bound by that promise. Surprisingly the guards let him drive into the estate and he saw what appeared to be a party on the lawn. He had intended to leave the message with the guards, but he was certain he saw Ms. Hamby standing on the porch...and in the middle of the afternoon. It was only then that he began to notice what kind of people were all over the lawn...day-walking vampires. He drew a pistol from under the dash as he drove up to the front of the house.

He stepped out, slipping the gun in his jacket pocket. He walked to the porch and was shocked to see he had not been mistaken. He walked up to the her and paused before speaking..

"Ms. Hamby?"

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:24 am

She blinked hearing someone call her name and turned to see Vincent. Her eyes widened and with the shock, pale look of his face, her heart fell.

"Is he...please don't tell me...." Her worst fear seemed to be confirmed before he spoke, she assumed Quinn was dead. Covering her mouth, she pleaded silently for it not to be true.
    Vincent Davis
    Vincent Davis

Post by Vincent Davis Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:39 am

"No, Miss Hamby. He isn't. I do not know why he has not been in contact or what has been going on...but..."

He handed her the Polaroids and the statement from the warden of the Shreveport Prison.

Brand New Day Polaro10

"He is with a few faces I have not seen in a long time.....and I was told that he has been informed of a lot of what has transpired since he left."

Vincent glanced over at the young vampire that Miss Hamby had been stealing glances at and gave her a knowing look.

"I cannot tell you what to expect if and when he returns to Bon Temps, Miss Hamby, but I promised to let you know when I knew anything....and I have fulfilled that promise. I think  it is time for me to head out now..."

He was glancing around, trying to watch behind him as he stepped back toward the car.

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:43 am

She looked down at the photo he handed her and her heart sank to see his smile again. James was looking concerned, probably hearing every word. She'd have to explain to him sooner or later...she rather later.

Looking back up, she noticed Vincent give her a look after he'd glanced at James. The woman in the photo must be the one making him smile. The next thing she did shocked even her.

Stepping down the stairs she called out to Vincent. "Vincent, wait."

Vincent Davis
    Vincent Davis

Post by Vincent Davis Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:45 am

He involuntarily gripped the pistol as he heard her tell him to wait and looked around nervously. He looked back up at her curiously.

"Yes, Miss Hamby? Was there something more?"

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:48 am

Standing slightly taller than him, she looked down and nodded. Placing the photo on his chest, she said words that killed her to say.

"I'm glad he knows. Since...I know nothing about him. Maybe she can keep him happier, since I wasn't enough."

With that she turned and went towards the front door of the Mansion, refusing to let anyone see her tears. Funny how he was able to find out about everything, but she was so in the dark about where he'd gone, his health, his status, if he was even alive. Should she feel bad for sleeping with James? When he wasn't THERE? No, no she couldn't.
    Vincent Davis
    Vincent Davis

Post by Vincent Davis Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:57 am

Her words surprised Vincent so much that he was unable to suppress a small laugh at her assumption.

"Miss Hamby, wait a moment..."

He looked at the photo again and took a breath.

"The woman in this photo is closer to Mr. Quinn than his own blood sister. It is nothing inappropriate like you have assumed...though I can see why you would see things that way."

He glanced again at the young vampire that was not openly staring at them as they spoke.

"..and yes I am certain that your friend over there can hear us, and I do not care. I will not have you assuming a falsehood about Mr. Quinn. He swore faithfulness to you until such time as you chose to leave him. As far as I am aware, that has not happened and therefore he will remain faithful. He must have his reasons for not coming back yet, and when he returns, I would hope that you will at least give hi the chance to speak before assuming the worst. You did not see him before he left, Miss Hamby. He looked haunted....even scared...that smile is more welcome than you can imagine, and we have no way of knowing the context of the moment that photo was taken."

He took a breath, setting the photo down on a side table and looked back at her.

"You make your own choices, as we all do. All I ask is that you not judge before there is reason to."

Vincent turned and began walking back to the car but paused before getting in.

"I do not know how the sun has been returned to you, Miss Hamby, but I am happy for you."

He glanced at the young vampire and then back at Jessica.

"I am happy for both of you...."

He opened the door, tossing the pistol on the passenger seat and fishing in his pockets for the keys.

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:06 am

She listened to his words and slowly turned around to face him. Crossing her arms in front of her chest, she fought back the tears and the anger...the guilt too. She felt like he'd abandoned her, left without more explanation than "I need to get better" He'd left...period. He didn't want her help, she was his weakness...her blood.

Silently, she watched him walk away back to his car and hesitated for a moment before speeding over to him and grabbing the car door before it closed. "Don't be happy for something I don't understand. James is...a friend. Whatever you think it is, you're wrong. So I guess we both made the wrong assumptions."

She paused for a moment and thought about what he said. The sun...right, it was daylight. She looked up into the sky and squinted at the sun. "Oh, right....that..." She looked back at him and then averted her eyes to the side. "It's a long story." Truth was she didn't want to remember being locked up. Being scared, being tortured and studied. Then she remembered the e-mail she'd sent Quinn that night...her face would have paled if it could have. She swallowed hard and closed her eyes, fighting internally if she should tell Vincent to make sure it was deleted.
    Vincent Davis
    Vincent Davis

Post by Vincent Davis Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:15 am

He smiled as she spoke before understanding.

"Miss Hamby, I was assuming nothing of the sort. He seems to care about you. Good friends are hard to come by. That is all I was referring to. If that is all it is, then that is fine. Either way, that would be done of my business, Miss Hamby. If there is nothing else, I really should get going before your friends get too hungry. I seem to be the only snack in the area..."

He smiled softly, looking her directly in the eyes.

"My place is to take care of Mr. Quinn. Anything beyond that pales in my eyes. Please try to remember that before judging me. I do not say this in malice, only so you will understand. He is my charge, as much as you are your Maker's. I worry for him as much...and hope he will be happy too. There are...um....complications with his condition that you are unaware of. When you are in more of a talking mood, perhaps you can let me know and we can meet to speak again."

He slipped into the driver's seat and placed the key into the ignition then looked up at her, waiting.

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:22 am

She sighed and lowered her head, knowing the guilt had spoken that time. She felt guilty for sleeping with James only because she still thought of Quinn and what they had. "I'm sorry..." She said softly and looked at him with red brimming her eyes.

"There's just been...so much you don't know about. I'm...I can't do this right now, Vinny. I'm sorry."

Hearing there had been complications, she didn't want to ask. At this point if he saw the email, he saw it. When he was ready to talk, he'd find her. She pressed her lips into a hard line and didn't know what to say or how to respond to his words.
    Vincent Davis
    Vincent Davis

Post by Vincent Davis Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:28 am

Vincent fished in the dash and offered her a handkerchief.

"I've said my peace, Miss Hamby. Perhaps even more than was my place to do so. If so, I am sorry. All I ask is that when the time comes, be willing to listen."

He pulled the door shut, turning the key and shifting the car into drive.

"I truly am happy for you, Miss Hamby. Mr Quinn told me before how you missed the sun. I won't waste any more of your time. Please give my best to your Mr. Compton when you have the chance."

As he pulled away, he clenched the wheel. He never should have let himself get flustered like that...so uncivilized. He turned up the air conditioner as he drove out of the estate.

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:34 am

She just nodded and smiled softly, "I understand. I will, I promise. If it ever comes..." She said somewhat hopeful. Quinn could be stubborn sometimes.  She looked down with a smile when he said Quinn had told him about her longing for the sun, it was true...she did, quite often.

"I will." She said. Vincent and Bill had gotten along okay. She stood there and watched him drive away.

Hearing a voice behind her she turned around. "Are you okay?"

She smiled and nodded, "Yeah, I'm fine. Just an old friend."

"Who's Quinn?"

She thought for a moment and lost her smile. "James....we have to talk."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:16 am