For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

Confrontation and comfort

John Quinn
    John Quinn

Confrontation and comfort Empty Confrontation and comfort

Post by John Quinn Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:35 am

https://devotedtowriting.forumotion.com/t1807-test-the-merit-of-an-illusion

Quinn watched as Jessica left the house. He secured the parameter and walked back into the security wing, sealing the door behind him. He walked to the kitchen area and made himself something to eat to force himself to take the time to calm down before speaking to Arabella. Once he was certain that he was calm, he walked back up the hallway to where their rooms were. As he entered, Cassia left without needing to be told to. She knew this was one conversation she was not going to be involved in, nor would she want to be. Quinn walked up to the bad were Arabella was lying, and stood at the foot of the bed saying nothing for a moment. She was facing away from him and did not turn as he approached. When he finally did speak, he did so being careful of his tone and words.

“Arabella, what would have possessed you to attack a guest in our home? No matter the history or feelings that any in this home have toward a guest, certain things are simply not done.”

“Jonathan, I couldn't stand the idea of her hurting you again. She plays games with the words and claims to love you, yet she is the one who has her to the most of any he had told me of. I could not stand idly by while she played games with your heart again.”

“How do you see that it is your place to make such a judgment in my affairs and relationships? You are my progeny, and as such are closer than blood. You are my family, which will never change. I still wonder why you believe you have the right to attack a guest in our home.”

Arabella finally turned toward him and he could see the stain from her tears across her face. This confused him more than ever as he waited for her to answer.

“Jonathan, my sweet Jonathan, you really don’t understand, do you? I love you Jonathan. I’m not speaking of a daughter’s love for her father because what I feel for you goes far beyond that kind of love. What I feel for you I have not felt for another man. Not even my maker stirred feelings like I have for you. You asked me what gave me the right to intervene when that redheaded bitch tried to seduce you again. My answer is very simple, Jonathan, and straightforward. I love you and will do whatever I have to do to protect the one I care about some much. Your promise to that Jezebel has caused you more grief that I think even you realize. You have remained faithful to that promise even as she beds that vampire she brought back with her. I understand why you’re angry, but I needed you to know how I feel. I would be more than your progeny to you, if you would let me.”

Quinn stood there, unsure even of how to respond. He could not deny that there was some interest on his end but he had made a promise and had kept to it. Jessica’s words rang in his mind.
    ~ I'm sorry about us. ~

Quinn wasn’t sure if she meant they were done, but it seemed that was what she was saying. She had already moved on with her new vampire. Her statement freed him of his oath, it seemed. While it could have paved the way for things to be easier, tonight’s events had made it more complicated instead. He still had not responded to what Arabella said to him, and was still not sure how to. He looked carefully in her eyes, seeking his answers. What he found there surprised him. In her eyes he could see both hope and fear on how he’d react what she had said. He knew his next words to her must be the right ones. He took a deep breath were speaking again.

“Arabella, I’m not certain of my feelings at this point, but I can tell you that you are extremely important to me and as he as more than simply a daughter. Were those feelings will lead, I don’t know. Right now is not the time to explore them, but I promise you that we will make the time to do so. I had assumed, due to Cassia, you were making a choice to keep things less complicated right now. I do love you, my Arabella. That will never be in question. The question will arise as to where that love will lead. I make you no promise save one. You will always have a place in my heart and in my home. Tonight has been very eventful and I think we should both just take some time to think. Feel free to call your Cassia back and spend time with her if you wish. I will be in my rooms if you wish to talk further but please understand that, for the time being, talking is all we will do.”

Quinn went into her bathroom and ran a washcloth under the sink, bringing the damp off back and gently cleaning the streaks from her face. He smiled as he looked into her eyes, and kissed her for her gently. He heard quiet footsteps in the hall and turned to see Cassia poking her head around the corner. He nodded to her and handed the washcloth to her as he went to his own rooms to think. Tonight had changed many things, and he had no idea what direction things would go. As he left the room, he glanced back to see them slowly undressing each other. He watched perhaps a bit longer than he might have before but returned to his rooms alone.

Current date/time is Sat May 04, 2024 3:26 am