For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

New Perspective and a New Acquaintance

John Quinn
    John Quinn

New Perspective and a New Acquaintance Empty New Perspective and a New Acquaintance

Post by John Quinn Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:38 am

~Quinn - Age 18~

Shaking my head, I cannot believe what news the witness has brought me. My new family, my new Pride…addicted to V. At the beck and call of whoever could supply their toxic habit. They were leaving me with no choice. I hated the decision I had to make. They had helped me find the path, or what I thought was the path…no more hiding…no more secrets…the idea was so seductive. But was it all a lie? Looking hard at the young man, I locked his eyes with mine.

“Are you sure that there can be no question what they were doing?”

The young man looked terrified.

“I swear it, Mister Quinn. I saw it with my own eyes…and not from vials…they were drinking from the vampire’s own wrist.”

Hearing this I knew I had no choice, so I paid the young man for his trouble and headed to the camps.

I kicked Odeon’s feet as I walked into the camp.

“Why put it off any longer Odeon? Get on your damn feet. You said there was only one way I was leaving. I’ll accept that offer.”

I crouched low, staying human to limit them. Even with the V, I am faster and stronger as a human than they are. As I watched, one by one, the rest of the group moved around Odeon, waiting for his command to strike. If they all rushed at once, I could have a problem.  They had the advantage of numbers, and they were on V. My only advantage is that they could not think on their own. Once Odeon was down, I would have the upper hand.

“What are you waiting for Odeon? If you wish to step back and allow me as Leader, do so now. Otherwise get up and fight.”

“Oh I’ll get up and fight, you arrogant bastard. One of us will not walk away today. That is the pack law now. All challenges continue until one cannot walk away. Oh…and if you want out, your problem is not with me. You want to turn your back on the pack…on your new family…then your problem is with us all.”

Odeon looked over his shoulder and barked “Now” and the pack lunged at me in pairs. I had to suppress my laughter at their stupidity. Oh well…they are bringing this on themselves…

Looking around, the pack was in tatters. Not one still stood against me. Those that could still rise chose to kneel, not wanting to fight any longer.

“I have bested all. I command here. You are all abjured from one another. Within no town shall two of you live, or face my…disappointment…” I said as I motioned to their broken and bleeding former leader.

I laughed quietly, still feeling the adrenaline rush from the fight. I was so amused I almost missed the scent on the wind. A scent of old earth…mixed with copper…and white amber. Turning, I saw a lush beauty of a woman, but no…this was surely a vampire. Her eyes shimmered, her lips full and inviting with the laughter coming from her.

Her form was shapely enough and she had moved to pose no threat. My instinct was to run, but I found myself wanting to listen to that laughter a bit more. Her melodic voice fell on my ears like a gentle rain, but with a grain of iron, betraying a strength she hid well. “Well done…and for such a young…man. You could do great things…but I must ask. Why were you fighting them?”

“They were led my one who had ideas I agreed with. I expressed interest in learning more. He spoke of an end to the hiding…and end to the secrets. This appealed to me. I tire of being hunted for a pelt that is not even of my true form. My kind, more than any other, are hunted in our sleep. I tire of worrying for my mother…my sister…others…”

“But if you agreed with their ideas….”

“Their methods were not as pleasant. I have no direct hatred of your kind, but the blood of your kind is a drug that does great harm to us. It gives a temporary strength and enhancement. Even healing…but in the end it drives my kind mad with rage until they are no more than packs of rabid beasts. It also has other…complications….”

I shuddered.

She smiled and spoke softly.

“I am Salome, and I know the path these pups sought. They were given false hope by one of my kind who wished to turn them into beasts of burden. I offer you the true path. The path you seek. The path of an end to secrets and of an end to the hiding. Come with me and we will speak of this path. We will speak of Lilith.”

and with those words she simply turned and headed toward a villa in the distance. Quinn watched her for a time, then without thinking about it, he found himself following her. If she was being truthful with him, perhaps there was a reason to change his mind about vampires...at least some of them.
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

New Perspective and a New Acquaintance Empty Re: New Perspective and a New Acquaintance

Post by John Quinn Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:42 am

“More to drink, Jonathan?”

“No, but I would like to hear more about what you were explaining on our way here though.”

The vampire smiled; her lush body shifting as she set down the wine bottle on the table next to her.

“Yes, as I was saying…your friends were led along a path that was close to truth, but had been tailored to deceive them. Unfortunately, not all my kind are trustworthy….as I am sure you have heard…”

Jonathan grabbed a few more grapes off the platter as she spoke

“…with our kind deciding that it was time, we began a slow and careful campaign to acclimate the humans to the idea of us not being only myth and legend. You can understand our concerns…we are all but helpless for half the day while they are active.”

Jonathan smiled, nodding

“Yes…I can imagine that would be a problem. Though I can relate to the concerns you speak of. My kind are portrayed in the media as barely more than beasts…”

“Yes, Jonathan…we are alike more than you can know. This as well as the fact that all who serve us are simply employees. I have often been both amused and horrified with the perception that we keep humans as slaves. As you have seen here in my villa, everyone here is free to go where they choose.”

“Yes…you have excellent taste, if you do not mind my saying so…quite nice…”

Her full lips curled into a smile at his comment…

“You will find that every one of them here of their own free will. Feel free to flirt, even to borrow one or two if you wish…”

Jonathan smirked at her comment, laughing quietly, and motioned for her to continue.

“Oh yes…we are alike in many ways. We too have hidden from the humans for centuries…for both our own sake and for those of the humans. Time has passed slowly, but the ideals have evolved to the point where we can come out of the shadows and stand in the open, so to speak… They know how we feed, and we have shown that it is only from those willing to do so. Long ago we understood that killing our food stocks was a foolish act. You were saying that this is what appeals to you…this openness and freedom…”

“Yes, Salome, but many of my kind worry that we will be hunted by the vampires, just like we are by the humans. I try to keep an open mind and would love to believe you speak truthfully…but there are many doubts. If only there were something more to anchor your words…you spoke of a leader or guide…I forget the name you mentioned. If I could hear her words myself…perhaps I would be able to trust more…”

Salome slipped from the divan and strolled across the room to a small pedestal. She gently lifted a leather bound book from its place, and moved to Jonathan’s side, offering it to him.

“Lilith’s own words, transcribed from those who heard her directly. She is not currently awake to hear from directly, but this is her work incarnate. I will be happy to help you learn of her teachings if you wish. It is unfortunately still in the ancient tongue of my kind. I see a great future in you. We have a fighting circuit that could offer you employment so that you can focus on the Path while we speak…and there can be other…..benefits…”

She ran her nimble fingers across his chest and arm, resting eventually on the book in his hands. She pressed it to him and smiled a seductive smile.

“This copy you can have, to bring with you when you travel. We can speak more of Lilith in the days to come, but for now, let us focus on enjoying the time tonight…”

Salome clapped her hands and several dancers descended from the ceiling on ropes of silk, preforming in intricate patterns. More plates of food were brought as they watched the dancers. Salome smiled as she saw Jonathan relaxing and slipped into the curve of his arm, resting her hand on his chest as they enjoyed the show…

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:02 am