For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

Dress Shopping

Kiara Griffen
    Kiara Griffen

Dress Shopping Empty Dress Shopping

Post by Kiara Griffen Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:36 pm

She’d only gotten a few hours of sleep, knowing she still had to go buy a dress for her impromptu wedding. Bill had insisted she spare no expense on the dress and knowing him he expected her to make full use of his credit cards.

Dress Shopping 2uol5yp

So in a city in Vermont she found herself inside a very elegant boutique with absolutely NO clue what she wanted to get married in. She had looked around a bit, seeing manikins clad in frilly white dresses that went from sedate to ‘how can you even walk in that’?

Dress Shopping 2r6k1ep

A woman walked up to her, one of the employees. “See anything you like Miss?” she asked. Kiara smiled and perhaps her ignorance of wedding details showed in her face. “Would you like some help?” she offered. Kiara nodded “Please… I feel like a fish out of water” she said.

The woman smiled and led her towards a side of the boutique where there was a round stand in the middle of the room before a large set of mirrors and chairs behind the stand. Kiara assumed the chairs were for the wedding party, maybe maids of honor or mothers to stand in judgment of the future wedding dress.

Dress Shopping 30ids11

“Do you have any ideas of what you’d like? Maybe a type of dress or a color?” asked the woman. Kiara thought about it for a moment. To be honest she really didn’t have preference, except for one thing she knew had to be a requirement.

“I want blue, not a blue dress per-say but blue in it” she said with a smile. The woman nodded and beckoned another woman to her and they both disappeared for a moment. It was only then that Kiara noticed a man in a very nice suit with a lilac tie on was watching her from the corner. She wondered who he was but just then the two women returned with several dresses inside plastic dress bags.

Soon began the tedious process of trying on the dresses. Although they were all beautiful and she took her time looking at herself in them she quickly realized a few things.

She definitely did not want a dress with a train.

There was such a thing as too much princess in a dress. Which became painfully obvious in one dress that she couldn’t even move in to get to the stand. Which was amusing and mortifying at the same time.
    And she couldn’t find a shade of blue she liked at all. The women, although helpful kept giving her shades of pastel and sky blue. Very pretty blues but they just didn’t do it for her. They would look great as lingerie colors but not for a wedding dress.

As she stood on the stand wearing the 7th dress she’d tried on she was getting a bit clearer ideas of what she wanted but it was hard to convey it when she didn’t know half the terms the women were using.

“Stop! Stop this travesty now!” said someone behind her who turned out to be the man in the lilac tie.

He rushed over to the women and to Kiara who looked taken aback. “Ladies ladies… you keep bringing the same old things for this wonderful bride” he said looking at Kiara in a panic.

“Um I’m sorry?” she said, wondering what was going on. The man smiled and looked up at her since she was raised on the stand. “Don’t you worry honey. I’ll do my best to save the day” he said. He ushered the women away and then walked around Kiara like a man examining a statue.

“Tell me something about the groom. Whats he like? What does he like?” he then raised an eyebrow with a playful smirk. “is it a groom? Or are we….you know” he said.

Kiara understood and chuckled. “It is a groom, not that theres anything wrong with marrying a girl” she said as she sort of crossed her arms to think.

“Well… he’s very old fashioned. Think… southern gentleman. He’s not one for flashy things. I mean… he told me I could spend whatever I wanted on a dress but I know deep down he’d prefer something simple…elegant…. And blue” she said with a smile.

“Blue eh? What kind of blue sweetie? You’re clearly not loving these” he said, motioning to the dress she was currently wearing that had baby blue flowers all over it.

“She shook her head. It’s just not… not right” she said as she looked at herself in the large mirror. “It has to be darker… more… more…” she smiled “more royal” she said.

The man nodded twice and paced a bit before he clapped once, smiled and then ran off like a kid who remembered a cookie they had stored for special occasions or something. She only stood there for a few minutes before the man came back with a few swatches of colored fabric.

Dress Shopping 2luunx3

“Anything you like in here?”

Kiara looked at the swatches and pointed to two of them. “Either one of these would be perfect” she said. The man lit up like she’d picked the right answer.

“Annabel! Maria! Bring me the royal collection!” he called out. Kiara raised an eyebrow. Royal collection? This was a bit too much of a coincidence but her skepticism vanished. They brought out a gorgeous dress with a diamond blue bodice. It still had what they called a princess skirt but it wasn’t exaggerated. It sort of reminded her or a prom dress but more elegant and with a price tag to match. The man helped her out of the white dress, clearly not bothered by Kiara’s near naked state and helped her into the new one.

Dress Shopping 2lwu4d0Dress Shopping 2ecg9ko

He smiled “Oh sweetie this HAS to be the one. You look like a queen!” he said as he clapped his hands. Even the two women agreed and Kiara had to agree too.

The dress fit her well. Not too tight, she could move in it quite easy. She loved the color and strangely she felt very…beautiful. Maybe this is how women were supposed to feel when they found THE dress. Kiara couldn’t wipe the smile off her face. “I love it… it’s just… beautiful” she said.

The man clapped and waved a hand as the women brought over the accessories. They had a pair of shoes in the same deep blue color. Open toed but elegant enough for a wedding.

Dress Shopping 2ry3ssj

“And…can’t forget these” said the man as he held three garters of a matching blue color in his hands. Three? Why would she need three?

Dress Shopping S1udrmDress Shopping 29zt1fd

“Um….I only need one…right?” she asked, looking them over since they were all pretty similar. The man smiled gently. “Sweetie…ones for you to wear under all that loveliness, the other is for your man to throw at the reception. You didn’t think men threw the garter they got out from under the dress did you?” he asked. Kiara actually had always thought that which was why the whole ritual of having the groom go under his bride’s dress always confused her.

“Um…. No?” she said but the man chuckled. He didn’t make fun of Kiara’s lack of knowledge, but instead took his time explaining to her from the whole needing two bouquets things, to why one garter had more frills than the other, to things like detachable trains and veils and things.

After spending over 3 hours at the boutique Kiara had settled on the dress, only one garter (she played it off by saying the wedding was very private and there wouldn’t be a reception) no veil or train and the matching shoes.

Once they had put the dress and things into a very nice bag she was just about to pay for everything before the man grinned.

“NOW that we have the wedding day planned… lets talk about the wedding night frills” he said, now waiving a pair of panties with a bejeweled “I do” on them. Clearly her day was not over. Good thing she only planned to get married once. How women did this more than once was beyond her.

Dress Shopping I6fos7

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:54 pm