For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

One Small Step For The Gautiers

Alcide Herveaux
    Alcide Herveaux

One Small Step For The Gautiers Empty One Small Step For The Gautiers

Post by Alcide Herveaux Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:47 pm

--10 Days Later--

*Pulling the bike off the trailer pushing it towards the garage of the new owner. This is the one thing Jackson and I did as father and son. Everything else was about the pack back then. Before the big fall from grace. Then everything for Jackson was in the bottom of the bottle or a betting stub. Kicking the stand down leaning the bike on it. Walking up the path to the door to ring the doorbell. A well dressed lady opens the door. Smiling at her I ask,*

Is the residence of Thomas Roach? I am Alcide Herveaux he contacted me about purchasing my bike?

*The well dressed lady smiles a friendly smile waving me into the house,*

"Do come in we have been expecting you. Thom is so excited about this. You see it's on his bucket list to go to Sturgis one day. So now he can in style. Let me go get him, please take a seat."

*Setting on a overstuffed glove soft leather couch running a hand on the buttery softness with a smile thinking idly that it's almost as soft as Rikki's skin. Seeing a man striding down the hallway towards me I stand up to meet him. He's a middle aged gentleman with a start towards a paunch. He's smiling extending his hand I take it with a firm grip smiling back.*

Hello I am Alcide Herveaux, I brought the bike with me if you want to kick the tires and take it for a spin?

*Thom's face lit up with boyish glee. He clapped his hands together rubbing them. Looking at the well dressed lady saying,*

"Betsy go slide on a tshirt and jeans lets go for a short spin if you have time Mr. Herveaux?"

*Smiling at them, watching the middle aged couple act like teenagers.*

I had only this planned for today. I am selling the chopper to repay a small loan I took out on behalf of others. If you have a minute I will tell you the story.

*They nod*

Well my fiancee and I are building our dream home, I am in construction by trade, and I had a supporting brace snap hitting me on the head sending me into the ER. I met a lady and her little girl there, waiting for a CT scan. The little girl was doing poorly and they thought she might be suffering the same affliction her older brother Brian was diagnosed with Neurofibromatosis type I they used to call it von Recklinghausen disease after the scientist who found it It strikes 1 in 3000 children with no real cure and the drug protocols vary from the afflicted.

Sandy and Robert have a good little family but the bills were keeping them from getting into a new home. They qualified for Habitat for Humanity. I pulled strings so the cost on most of the materials was donated, or builders cost. I got the loan down to where they could afford it, the little girl Sasha wasn't diagnosed with it, it seems she has a slower pituitary gland, which was causing all the fuss, they gave her a perscription and she's doing fine. In the 10 days of meeting them, helping them build their home. I met kindred spirits and have taken them as adopted family. I took out a small loan to pay off the mortgage, so they will be able to have a savings for the days that get really rainy.

This is why I am here, Thom and Betsy selling my bike to pay off that loan. I haven't rode it in a long while. I have memories of it and nothing will take them from me. I want someone else to be able to make memories. Sorry about the length of the story, I wanted you to know why.

*Thom pulls out his checkbook from his back pocket writing out a check handing it to me with a smile. Shaking my hand saying,*

"Wow Alcide you are a great salesman, I was going to buy the bike anyway. I commend you on your altruism and constant faith in fellow man. I think I would like to meet this family, and your fiancee, we have BBQ's once it warms up please bring them. Come on let's go look at my bike."

*Following him outside he walks around the bike straddling it touching it with a I hand him one of the helmets he straps it on going back to the truck to get the tools and the box of basket case parts with the spare helmet in the box.*

You might want to update the helmets, but they will work for a while. Invest in some good leathers for comfort and to keep down road rash if something should happen. I hope you and Betsy have many memories made on the bike. She's dependable and a good ride. The box of tools are specific to the bike and the basket case parts if they need to be replaced. Being a '59 Shovelhead it's hard to find parts. There is a place out in west texas that has a lot I left the card in the box with it, as well all the purchase orders and title. Good Riding Brother.

*Holding up my 2 fingers to the side with a wistful smile, Thom is lost in the bike. I walk back down to the truck securing the chains and crawl into the cab heading towards the bank to deposit this check and pay them off.*

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 1:44 am