For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

3 posters

Facing down Fate

John Quinn
    John Quinn

Facing down Fate Empty Facing down Fate

Post by John Quinn Fri May 24, 2013 11:12 am

Quinn woke up alone. So much for promises. The door was locked. She trusted him so little...nice to know. He had to wonder what this game of hers was. She abjures him, then when he tries to make the pain go away, she comes and 'rescues' him by making him a prisoner. Then she promises to stay by his side and the very next night she is gone.

"Guess I face these demons on my own."

He began rummaging through the bag that Vincent brought from the estate, then he noticed something interesting...Vincent had included his black trench....perhaps there was a silver lining...these migraines were killing him. If he could just get a moment's respite...

"Let it still be here."

He rummaged through the pockets until the found the hidden compartment. The vial was still there. Someone out there still liked him. He pulled it out of it's hiding place and stared at it for a while. It was a small vial...but the pain would fade away...

Facing down Fate Tumblr10

He was not sure. Should he take it? Should he save it in case things got worse? Gods his head hurt..he could not even think clearly. The voice in his mind goaded him to take it...to end the pain. He sat the vial on a small table and sat on the floor staring at it...what should he do?
    Clotho
    Clotho

Facing down Fate Empty Re: Facing down Fate

Post by Clotho Fri May 24, 2013 11:51 am

*Up on Mount Olympus, she sat back, violet eyes flickering over the numerous screens that swam with blurred, quick images. Duty was never done. Destiny never slept. This was who she was...what she did. And as tired as she was from this constant vigil (she'd been in The Thread Room for over 72 hours now), she wouldn't quit until the Ether was quiet.*

"Akra?"

"Yes, Nicodemus?"

"One of your ..pets...Quinn. John Quinn. You need to see this.."

She clucked under her breath. "He's not my pet, Nicodemus. He's my friend and a dear one at that. What's wrong?"

The blue lit console before her brightened as John's shape appeared, he looked tired and as though he carried the weight of the world on his broad shoulders. She could only "see" so much of his future, he was a blind spot since they were close. She didn't speak for a while, just watched him, wondering why Jessica wasn't with him. Finally, she rose up.

"Nicodemus, power down. I'll take care of this personally..."

She was gone on the last word, flashing into the sub level he was currently in, noting how William and Jessica were both above them by one floor. Keeping quiet, she watched as Quinn sat on the floor, staring hard at the vial he'd just set down. Very softly, she spoke, her Atlantean accent melodious and soothing.

"Hello, my Lord Tiger..."
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Fri May 24, 2013 11:56 am

Quinn smelled the change in the air, then felt it. There was someone else here....someone that did not need doors. His blurred eyes lifted to gaze toward the pale woman who now shared his cell.

"It has been a long journey since I was worthy of that name, My Lady Fate. Too long it seems."

His eyes drifted to the vial again...wondering if she was another hallucination or if it was time for him to move on...neither would surprise him any more.

"So...it is my time? or is this simply a social call?"
    Clotho
    Clotho

Post by Clotho Fri May 24, 2013 12:00 pm

*She sat down at his side, her lavendar peplos billowing out like airy wings around her*

"You're story is far from over, my Quinn. But rest assured when that time DOES come, I myself, and not my sister, Atropos, will lead you past the veil."

*His voice was husky, ragged and full of anguish. He,who was always strong and brutal, raw and perfect in his imperfections. John had never shirked what he was, he owned it. He'd always embraced what was and made his mark. Reaching out, she laid a tiny hand on his tawny arm*

"What has brought you to this, akribos? And before you ask again, I'm here as your friend. No Goddess, no Fate. Just your Cloie. Your Bit here to help..if I can."
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Fri May 24, 2013 12:10 pm

Quinn chuckled darkly at the woman's words.

"The true human flaw is what brought me to this, Cloie. Choice. The ultimate of dark tricks played on the living. There is the instrument of my downfall and salvation."

He motioned at the vial on the table.

"Therein lies my saving grace and my downfall in a single vial. I am now alone in this world. The only one I cared for now holds me prisoner in some twisted game."

He blinked and shook his head to clear away the pain for a moment.

"Why are you here, Cloie?"
    Clotho
    Clotho

Post by Clotho Fri May 24, 2013 12:16 pm

"You might not see it as such, agriato...but the very best part of YOU...is human.And not flawed in such as you're thinking. And I told you why I'm here, Quinn. For you."

*Following his line of vision to the vial, she held up a hand and watched as the slim glassine tube flew into her small palm. Turning it over and over, she watched the liquid swirl hypnotically for a few moments*

"You may feel alone.But you're not. As for Jessica..tell me, my Tiger. Are you a mind reader? Do not judge her feelings by what she says or does. We often hurt those we love most and we do with only the best intentions. There is much love between you both. How do you know her pain is not equal to yours?"

*holding up the vial and piercing him with her amethyst eyes*

"Do you choose this over her?"
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Fri May 24, 2013 12:21 pm

Quinn felt his eyes fill with tears as she spoke. Some part of him knew she was right....but what she had said...

"She commanded me gone. She cast me aside. Now she keeps me prisoner. How can that be love?"

His eyes followed the vial as it moved to her hand. He could feel himself being drawn to it by his darker side.

"It is not my choice any more, Cloie. She cast me aside. I have nothing left. Even last night, we almost killed one another and now she breaks her word to me by being gone. She swore to be by my side if I made a choice to fight against it..."
    Clotho
    Clotho

Post by Clotho Fri May 24, 2013 12:30 pm

*closing her hand around the vial, she let it settle in her lap and looked up at him*

"She abjurred you? Interesting..."

*Trailing off she grew thoughtful, reaching out to try and make sense of Jessica's thinking but as with Quinn, her affinity for the red haired beauty, made things blurry.*

"How do the mortals say? The road to hell is paved with good intentions? I say if she cared nothing for you...if she truly wanted nothing to do with you..if indifference were the pushing force behind her actions then you wouldn't be here. She would cut you loose and off you'd go. You say you fought last night?Perhaps she fears she may do you a harm, ergo she wasn't here when you awoke? John, we can't accurately define a person's actions, no matter how close we are them. Don't put supposition into this. You'll just drive yourself mad."
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Fri May 24, 2013 12:33 pm

"Mad? I think it is too late for that. I look at my reflection and see myself twice. My normal self and the dark thing I am becoming."

His tears were flowing freely now. He could not hold it back. He sank down, wrapping his arms around his knees and rocking as he stared at the vial in her hands...
    Clotho
    Clotho

Post by Clotho Fri May 24, 2013 12:53 pm

*His pain was her own. She felt the confusion coursing through him, the inner torture he was flagellating himself with. She'd seen him in so many facets but vulnerability? No. And it was beautiful...this side of him. The very best part of Quinn WAS his humanity...the part that resided deep within and kept him anchored. One did not need to BE human to act as such. She, herself, was proof of such. Of all the Olympians and Atlanteans, she was most human. And that was the part that allowed her to know things the other Gods never would.

Watching her old friend in his suffering, his tears thick as he rocked like a small child, she made a decision. Free will. Right?

"John, I will say this and then nothing more. I respect whatever choices YOU make because I respect you. That being said..."

She turned and crawled until she was right before him, lifting up his chin with one small hand to stare into his pained, dark eyes.

"You are one of the strongest men, I know. If Priam had had such as you, along with his Hector, Troy would not have fallen. You have always known your purpose and reason, my Tiger. You have never once looked away from the path before you in weakness or doubt. Doubt is the worst traitor and plagues all beings..human, shifter, demon and otherwise. Even the Gods. It's not about how many times we make mistakes, how many times we fall down. It's how we rise after each battle, how we choose to move on, move forward. Adversity is like a strong wind. It tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that we see ourselves as we really are."

She paused a bit, then opened up her palm, holding the vial out to him.

"When the Japanese mend broken objects, they aggrandize the damage by filling the cracks with gold. They believe that when something's suffered damage and has a history it becomes more beautiful. I believe this, too. You ARE golden, John. You are more than a title, a name....a thing. You are more than this....addiction. Face your fears and rise triumphant....or succumb to them and let them rule you. But I don't think you're a man to let ANYTHING reign over him. You were born to lead, not follow. The choice is yours, Quinn..."

*Taking a deep breath, she nodded and lifted the vial closer to him*
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Fri May 24, 2013 1:06 pm

As he felt the magic of her words in his blood. The pain was there but it was lessened by her words. He could see himself as she saw him, as he once saw himself. He watched as she brought the vial closer, his darker side wanting to snatch it away and drink it, but he focused on her words. He could feel her energy flowing into him as she tried to help as she could.

"Cloie, you once told me the most powerful weapon mankind had was choice. I remember that night. I remember many since then."

He threw back his head, screaming out his rage...his pain...he snatched up the vial and rose to his feet. He glanced around and decided on a spot. He threw the vial as hard as he could, watching it smash against the security door, the blood seeping under the door and out of sight. He dropped to his knees, his strength limited, but still there.

"My sweet Cloie, I do not know how, but you have brought me from the precipice. You have brought your Lord Tiger black and your Blade will be ready when you call for him. I will defeat this enemy like I have any other."

He pressed his hand to the table,rising to his feet and lifting her from hers. He kissed her gently and looked into her eyes, tears still falling from his.

"You have redeemed me. My journey from my current darkness will be long but I will survive it. Alone or not, I will be here when you need me, My Cloie....My Fate"

He carefully lowered himself to one knee, letting his eyes fall from hers. One hand planted on the ground to stabilize himself, he silently thanked her.
    Clotho
    Clotho

Post by Clotho Fri May 24, 2013 1:20 pm

*She watched him, watched the man within the beast, conquer. Breathtaking, he always was. And to think the mortals had no idea that they had the best of their race walking among them as a quiet God in his own right. The vial cracked, shattering and she watched as John's fears, along with the blood,seeped out under the door. She could hear rustling outside...Bill? Jessica?

Her own swirling eyes filled with tears as he managed to speak, his words sincere and strong as he knelt before her, head bent as he gave her silent thanks. She reached out a small hand, half bending down and grabbed his hand, lifting him up effortlessly with her own strength until he towered over her. She laced her fingers with his and looked up in to his dark eyes...still pained but resolute once more with proud strength none could take from him*

"Men such as you weren't meant to kneel, my Lord Tiger. I choose my warriors carefully....and then I chose those that lead them. That is YOU, my dear Quinn. You are ever my Blade, and I am ever your Lady Fate."

She splayed her palm across his chest, over his heart. "This...this is your saving grace. And Quinn? You'll never be alone. Even when you think you are, I am there. Always. I will always come when you call....and even when you don't.."

*She gave him a cheeky fanged grin and then squeezed his hand before stepping back and tilting her head towards the door*

"I fear you'll have visitors soon. I best go.."

And standing on tip toe, she kissed his grizzy cheek and vanished in a blast of violet light, her heather scent lingering, her voice soft and echoing. "You are all I imagined you would be, my Tiger. And more.."
    Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Fri May 24, 2013 1:40 pm

https://devotedtowriting.forumotion.com/t1533-honesty-is-the-best-policy#12043

Seeing the blood I dropped the water on the step and quickly unlocked the door, opening it and calling out for him. "Quinn? QUINN!" I searched the darkened room with my eyes, braced for an attack that I thought might come.
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Fri May 24, 2013 1:50 pm

Quinn still stood in the center of the room, feeling weak but more confident.His hand was braced on the table, but he felt stronger than he had before. The pain was still terrible, but he now had the resolve to fight through it. He watched her run in, leaving the door open. Cloie's words still rang in his ears, so he decided to give Jessica the benefit of waiting to judge her actions.

"I am here, Jessica. Here, and back...somewhat."

He smiled as best he could, holding his free arm out in invitation...

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Fri May 24, 2013 1:53 pm

I found him standing in the shadow part of the darkened room and moved so that the light from the stairs would show him to me. One hand rested on the table and the other was open in what seemed like an invitation. I looked down at the blood then back to him. "What...happened? Are you hurt?" I almost wished he was hurt, if he wasn't that only meant that the blood on the floor was V...that I'd failed already.

Hesitantly I approached him, still leaving a gap between us because I wasn't sure what to think.
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Fri May 24, 2013 1:56 pm

"More in mind and emotion than in body. More importantly, I am stronger than I thought. There was a vial hidden in the jacket that Vincent brought. He did not know about it. I realized it was still there and had to face my demon. I smashed the vial against the door."

He motioned toward the broken glass by the door.

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Fri May 24, 2013 2:03 pm

I followed where he motioned with my eyes and saw the shattered pieces of glass, the blood pooled on the floor and him trying to regain his stability. Looking back at him I smiled softly and slowly closed the gap between us, wrapping my arms around his waist and laying my head on his chest. His heart was strong and steady, which was good. He wasn't that sweaty and his breathing seemed to be normal. Closing my eyes I stood there against his warm skin and thanked the Gods for letting him be okay.

"I love you" They came out like nothing more than a whisper and I wasn't exactly sure if he'd even heard me, but I was slightly afraid to say it louder.
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Fri May 24, 2013 3:27 pm

Hearing her words crashed what few walls he had left and he was holding her, crying, kissing her hair, whispering in her ear...

"I will always love you, Koibito. No matter what happens. I always will."

He simply held her close while looking at the blood on the floor. He had a long way to go but this was a start. He leaned against the table as his legs began to buckle.

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Fri May 24, 2013 3:29 pm

I felt him shake a bit and looked up to see tears streaking his face. It was not often I ever saw him cry, and I knew this was major for him to show such vulnerability to me. I held him up and moved towards the bed. "Here, lie down for a while." I helped him to lean against the bed and waited for him to lay down.
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Fri May 24, 2013 3:32 pm

He moved to the bed with her assistance. Once there, he just look at her. She had put up with so much...forgiven him for so much...if only there were no more secrets...but that could be dealt with later...

"Very thirsty...and tired....but I am here with you so I'll be ok."

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Fri May 24, 2013 3:36 pm

I nodded and remembered the water. "Oh, right...yes." Leaving his side to grab the case of water and shut the door behind me hearing it seal up again, I set the case down on the desk that wasn't destroyed, grabbing one of the bottles out and bringing one to him opened. "Here, sorry they aren't cold. I can put some in the fridge if you want. Are you hungry? Sorry I'm rambling...I just....sorry." I smiled and looked down at my hands that held the bottle cap.
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Fri May 24, 2013 3:37 pm

"Here, sorry they aren't cold. I can put some in the fridge if you want. Are you hungry? Sorry I'm rambling...I just....sorry."

He held a gentle finger to her lips, silencing her.

"You have nothing to be sorry for, Jessica. Nothing at all."

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Fri May 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Looking up as his finger rested against my lips to silence me I smiled. Placing my hand on his and moving it so that I could lace my fingers with his, I stepped closer so that I stood between his legs and looked into his eyes. They seemed more familiar now, not so distant and dark. With my left hand I touched his cheek and remained silent, not having any words. What did you say in a moment like this, what did you do? I was just thankful to see him feeling better, starting to look better. This meant recovery was possible.
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Fri May 24, 2013 3:45 pm

He smiled when she took his hand in hers. He emptied the bottle and tossed it aside. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her onto the bed as he laid down.

"What do you say we just call it a night? I am tired as hell, but I'll make it since you are still here with me. I thought I'd lost you for good, Koibito."

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Fri May 24, 2013 3:50 pm

I giggled when he pulled me into the bed, shocked at his strength but glad to see it. Laying next to him in his arms, I smiled and traced the markings of his tattoo, avoiding his eyes. "You didn't and...you won't." My eyes came up to meet his. "I love you Quinn, as much as I hated to admit it through it all I still love you so much it hurts. It will take some time to...forget...to understand, but I can't throw away what we have. Not after all we've been through to get here. You mean more to me than the mistakes we make. I'm not perfect and I know I can't expect you to be. You love me...you say you do, that should be all that matters."

I kissed his lips softly and lingered for a moment with my eyes closed enjoying this moment. Opening them and slowly moving back to look at him I smiled. "But if you ever lay a hand or a paw on Kiara again....I will castrate you."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:13 am