For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

4 posters

Finish what you started

Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry

Finish what you started Empty Finish what you started

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:44 pm

She had practiced her speech over and over...and had been sneakily practicing her moves, getting herself ready for tonight. Her side barely hurt anymore...if she didn't think about it too much. She dressed in her work out clothes and a jacket to match. Pulling her hair tightly up into a pony tail, she tied her Nike tennis shoes and looked in the mirror, confident and determined.

James had left to tend to something again, something he did routinely now. She stopped asking why and what for. The guards outside her door were annoying...so she'd have to do this the old fashioned way. Pulling on a ski mask, she snuck out the window of her room and looked around. Inhaling deeply and listening to the sounds around her, she knew it was clear...so she jumped and gracefully landed on the large oak tree branch. Perfect. Wincing slightly, she continued to jump tree to tree until she was off the property and entering the cemetery.

Once she hit the ground, she took off into a run and headed straight for Quinn's place. Knowing some of Bill's guards were at his house, she stayed in the woods and pulled her cell from her pocket, dialing Quinn. While waiting for him to answer, she pulled off the mask and tossed it.
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Finish what you started Empty Re: Finish what you started

Post by John Quinn Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:51 pm

Quinn looked up when he saw his phone rattling on the desk. He glanced at the number and smiled.

"How can I help you, Jessica?"

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:55 pm

She peered through the trees as she watched the guards by his home. "Well...I need to talk to you. Like now. It's important. Only...I can't let the guards see me."
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:02 pm

Quinn paused at that. He chuckled and spoke again.

"Sneaking out again, Jessica? What ever will your maker think?"

He sighed, he might as well get this over with. Brianna would be busy with her lessons with Arabella for another hour anyway.

"Come up the east side of the woods. Use the balcony. I'll meet you there. None of the guards are this close while your sister is training with Arabella. One laughed when they were training and Arabella almost broke his back."

He hung up the phone and pulled on his jacket, adjusting it as he walked out to the deck.
    Finish what you started Dwayne10

As she arrived, he pasted on a smile. He only hoped she was not bringing bad news.

"Welcome, Jessica. Why sneak out again only to come to me? Don't you know that your maker and I are on cordial terms now?"

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:09 pm

She nodded and thanked him before hanging up. Following his directions she took the path towards the east side and easily climbed to the balcony, gritting her teeth at the pain in her side from the exertion. Ignore it, ignore it, you have to do this. Pulling herself over the balcony, she found herself breathing hard and tried to slow her breathing down. If he saw her like this he wouldn't help her.

She looked up only to see him walking out in a suit. Damn. Really? He still looked delicious, he always would. She just blinked and stared for a moment, hearing his question. She closed her eyes and shook her head to clear her mind, pinching the bridge of her nose as she gathered her words. "I--I...I uh..." She opened her eyes and looked at him, folding her arms across her chest and replaying her speech in her mind. "I want you to finish what you started. Train me...I want to be able to kill older vampires, I want to be faster, stronger, smarter...so train me. Privately. You owe me at least that." It didn't come out as she practiced it, but he still made her...well, he was Quinn for Christ sake. That should say enough.
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:14 pm

Quinn blinked at her demand. As he spoke, he could hear his volume rising.

"I owe you? Owe you what, Jessica? I almost died protecting you twice. I can't even think of how many times I killed for you. I taught you how to embrace your other half and draw strength from it. I taught you how to control the darkness. HOW DO I OWE YOU ANYTHING?!?"

He clenched his fists, shifting his weight to return inside.

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:22 pm

She sighed and growled annoyed at herself. "I get it okay, you don't think you owe me. Well we both did alot for each other. I almost got killed for you, I've killed for you AND I helped save your life a few times. As well as getting left in another state to get home myself, let's not revisit old shit we've buried in the past Quinn. You don't owe me, I don't owe you....but at the very least..." She sighed and almost gave up, bad choice of words that sort of just came out. This was not how she envisioned it.

She looked away from him and heard him begin to retreat back into the office. "I got attacked by Texas vampires, older and skilled with weapons I've never seen before. I don't want it to happen again and I hate being protected like some breakable doll. I'm not breakable...I'm not...an invalid." She shook her head and sighed. "Forget I asked..."
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:29 pm

"I know about the attack, Jessica. For some reason, your little toy sheriff showed up here with a truckload of armed men and almost got himself and them killed. I heard about the attack and I assume that is why you were moved back to the Estate. You say you are not an invalid, yet you have been running your fingers over that injury in your side since you got here."

He reached out and tapped the tender spot on her side, looking in her eyes.

"As for helping you learn to fight others, you have the skills and the ability. It is the confidence you need. They had weapons unknown to many of us. New types of silver weapons as well as others. There was a full strike team sent to take out your sister and anyone in the way. It took weeks to recover from that battle, for all of us."

He sighed and nodded.

"Since what you need is confidence, I'll set things up for a few rounds, so you can feel you have your edge back. Will that help?"

He pressed the intercom.

"Send some warmed blood to the deck via dumbwaiter. I have a rather reclusive guest and we do not wish to be bothered."

He motioned to the deck chairs as the table opened with a glass of blood on a warming place lifting into place.

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:41 pm

She winced slightly and glared at him for tapping her tender side. "That...is fine. It's pretty much almost healed, just sore. Don't worry about it, I'm fine...I'm fine." She lied..sort of. She was fine, for all intense and purposes she was fine. She could fight through the pain. It's not like her opponent would stop and give her a time out or be easy on her if she were injured, she had to learn to fight through it. "I can handle myself..I'm fine." She repeated quieter.

Listening to him speak, she thought about what he said. Confidence...yeah that was sort of destroyed a bit when Victor got a hold of her. She didn't even think Quinn knew all of it...and she wouldn't tell him either. It was better left unsaid. She looked up at his offer and smiled, nodding.

"Yes, it would. I just need to get back into it. James refuses to train with me. I guess he thinks I'm breakable too. You're the only one who won't treat me like some glass doll." Smiling as he ordered blood be sent up, feeling like she had won the battle but not yet the war. She would be ready for the next idiot who thought they could kill her. She would get her confidence back.

Seeing the table with blood, she moved over and grabbed it, downing the contents and looking back up at him. "I'm ready." She ran her tongue over her lips for the excess blood and smiled, eager to get back into it. She'd been training alone all week.
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:46 pm

Quinn pulled out a tablet from a recessed opening in the table and began tapping on it.

"It will take about an hour and a half to get everything arranged. Since you brought him up, how are things with you and James? Good I hope."

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:49 pm

She took a seat and looked up at him as he tapped at the screen. "Yeah....uh...great. We're...great." She looked away for a moment and then shook her head, blurting it out before her brain could stop her. "Except for his 'always needing to be somewhere and do something', something I can't know about. He's very secretive and I'm stuck with the storm troopers in my wing of the mansion." She was still annoyed about being babysat and realized what she said. "I'm sure it's nothing. It's...nothing, he's great, he's a great guy." This was not something to talk about with the ex...nope...just no.
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:52 pm

Quinn smiled.

"I think I have some idea of what is going on, if it will put your mind at rest. He went through a supplier I know for a few things and it gave me hints on something he is doing, but if he has not seen fit to disclose it to you, I cannot. I can however tell you it is something positive and he is not running around on you. I am glad to hear things are working out for you two."

He chuckled at her obvious discomfort.

"Shall we change the subject?"

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:58 pm

She looked up and smiled as he explained...very vaguely but it helped to hear. "Oh...I see. Well, I never thought he was I just thought with the attack...and the...nevermind. Yes, please." She laughed a bit and leaned back in the chair, crossing her leg over the other. She looked up at him and narrowed her eyes a bit, studying him.

"Why do you refer to Brianna as 'my sister' all the time? Are you afraid of saying her name? Come on Quinn, I know you and I know her...I can tell you know. I can see it. I remember that look. I'm happy for you by the way." She smiled. "And I wouldn't tell Bill...of course I'm just assuming...." She left it open for him to explain, but could see his hard blank face trying to cover whatever it was up.
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:04 pm

Quinn laughed as she tried to deflect the conversation.

"Actually I hadn't thought about it. If you prefer, I can use Brianna's name. I'll just have to remind myself. As for the look you believe you see, and what you think is going on, I cannot control what you assume. Yes we have gotten closer, but that is inevitable when two people are living in close quarters. Yes I am interested, but I am also not going to push. Bill already knows I care about her, and if you remember, he was the one who suggested she live here long term."

He grinned at her and decided to throw a monkey wrench in the conversation.

"You know, your feelings for your toy sheriff saved his life. Anyone else had brought an armed mob to my door and demanded that I let him in, they would have ended up in a mass grave."

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Fair enough, he was avoiding the question. "I know she likes you too, if it helps. Of course I can't blame her...maybe it was something we have in common. Falling for tigers who wear suits and give amazing massages." She grinned a bit and shrugged. "Yeah Bill does many things I am just confused about. Funny how he basically forbid me to see you at first and here he is throwing Brianna to you freely. Of course, he probably doesn't see what I see. And for the record, I'm not jealous or anything. I'm happy...for both of you. I hope she can give you what I couldn't." She was happy and loved James but deep down she can't say she hadn't questioned what Brianna had that she did not.

Looking back at him, she narrowed her eyes. "I'd like it if you didn't call him my toy sheriff. He was there...he was the only one there. He...helped save my life. He was only trying to help me. Jason isn't really good in crisis situations and does things before thinking."
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:24 pm

He adjusted the crease of his suit jacket and chuckled.

"Actually, I have never given her a massage, but as for Stackhouse, I'll leave the nickname off. The facts remain though. He threatened me in my own home. You know how that would normally have ended. You may want to have a talk with him about how he needs to behave."

He looked at the tablet and smiled as he saw Brianna and Arabella training. He watched as the attendant walked over with his message. He saw Arabella read it and nod, then she began talking with Brianna. This should be interesting.

"I want you to see something."

He walked inside and came back out with the Russian's war hammer.
    Finish what you started Yoshih10

"This is what we were dealing with. This, and a man larger than me. That is why I was not there."

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:30 pm

She was growing antsy with anticipation and stood, pacing a bit as he spoke. "I'll talk to him about that. You know Jason thinks he's invincible since he wears that badge. But I'll talk to him, I have to since I have no idea why he was there. He never got a chance to tell me." That gave her thought and she wondered what had happened. Was it Sookie? Violet?

She was lost in thought when he brought her back by telling her he had something he wanted to show her. She turned and watched as he returned on the balcony with something. She looked down at it and then back up at him. "Dealing with that...when? When I was attacked? Quinn you don't have to explain, you don't owe me anything remember. I just...can we get into hitting things and getting my confidence back. I miss my sparing partner, my friend." She smiled and hoped she could get to tossing him around. It may help with some frustrations and help her to get back to being her. James would never do this for her...he seemed like the type who didn't believe in hurting a girl. He was from a different time after all.
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:40 pm

He glanced at the screen of the tablet and saw Arabella getting Brianna into her sparring gear. He grinned and nodded. He walked back out of the room and hung the hammer back on it's stand and picked up a black cloth that was on the shelf. He walked back out to the deck, grinning.

"Sure thing. We are going to my private training rooms."

He tied the cloth around her head, blindfolding her.

"Relax, I will be leading you there. Nobody outside this house knows how to get to the private gym."

As he led her through the house, he took her in and out of a few hallways more than once to turn her around. He then led her to the training floor where she would face her opponent. He moved her to her starting mark and stepped back. He looked at Brianna and grinned as he nodded to Jessica.

"When you are ready, remove your blindfold and face your challenger."

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:50 pm

She bounced a bit on the balls of her feet and smiled. "It's been forever since I got to do this. You won't treat me like I'm breakable, so don't go easy." She furrowed her brows when he blindfolded her and went to ask something when he explained he was leading her there. "But...why the blindfold?" He didn't answer. What was going on?

He led her down hallways and she extended her arms in front of her to feel the walls. Using her other senses, she took in the different scents and sounds as he led her in what felt like a circle. What was he up to? When he stopped her, she listened hard and smelled familiar smells. Arabella? And..was that...

She removed her blindfold and blinked when she saw Arabella standing a few feet behind Brianna. She turned around to look at Quinn and gave him a look. "Uh...I thought...you were....that we were....you want me to fight her? Seriously?"
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:02 pm

Quinn turned to Arabella, smiling.

"Arabella, is your Jeja ready to compete?"

Arabella Trillo
    Arabella Trillo

Post by Arabella Trillo Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Arabella bowed low, smiling.

"Yes, Sifu. She is prepared. The guidelines have been explained."
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Quinn nodded and turned to Jessica.

"Are you prepared?"

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:08 pm

She watched Quinn and Arabella go back and forth. When he asked her if she was prepared she actually snorted and then scoffed. "Quinn...this isn't funny. Is this some sort of joke? It's not funny. I mean I know you've been training her and all but..." She really didn't have a good argument except that she wanted to be challenged and Brianna was not a challenge. She'd kicked her ass before already. Seeing Quinn's face, she sighed. "Fine...but if I hurt your...friend don't get all pissy with me."

She turned to face Brianna and shook her head. "Playing dress up?" She saw Arabella's glare and cleared her throat. "Fine, let's just do this. And do not tell Bill I was here. Got it?" Bringing both hands up, she motioned with her hands the 'bring it' sign. Smiling just a little, knowing Arabella and Quinn would want a show.
    Brianna Jackson
    Brianna Jackson

Post by Brianna Jackson Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:49 am

Brianna ducked and dived as another silver tipped dagger flew past her cheek and sunk into the wall behind her.

"Use your speed. You have it for a reason Brianna"

It had been the same phrase that Arabella had been using over and over to drill it into her head.

"I got it!" she groaned.

"Good....Now again"

Using her speed as she swerved several times as each dagger missed her each time as they too joined the daggers buried in the wall. Her night of tranquil passion with Quinn the previous night was still fresh in her mind as her body remembered every single pure divine moment with him. But now it was back to training as usual. To be honest this is just what she needed right now to focus her mind.

"Good. Now again"

Brianna took off at full speed as she dodged the flaying daggers that were directed at her as she wrapped herself into a back flip as her body rotated and she landed on her feet. As she could see another dagger fly past her and a clang as it landed on the floor behind her.

"Excellent. We shall make a fighter out of you yet"

As Brianna straightened herself out as she turned to see one of Quinn's staff enter the training room and head straight to Arabella as she took something from him.

"Quinn wants you to join him in the other training room....Thank you" as the staff member left the room closing the door in his wake as she turned to Brianna "He wants to test your new abilities, and I agree with him. Remember the skills you have learned, speed and defence. Use it. Attack if you must, but your sole task is to defend. And maybe you can have a little fun out of this...Get your things ready"

"A test? Another one?" she asked confused.

"Trust him. He would never willingly put you in harms way" she told Arabella.

Without another word as Brianna grabbed her things, knowing exactly what she would or might need. Changing into more suitable clothing as she quickly tied her hair back into a tight braid that hung down the centre of her back.

Following Arabella through the hallways to another training room as she soon spotted Quinn.....and Jessica. Turning to Arabella who did not look surprised at all as she turned her attention back to Quinn who smiled softly at her.

"Uh...I thought...you were....that we were....you want me to fight her? Seriously?"

Brianna knew the last time that they had fought that it had not gone down well at all, but things had changed, she had changed. She felt a lot stronger than she was the last time that they had met. A part of her was going to enjoy this and another part wanted to prove to both Arabella and Quinn that she was learning what they had both taught her and it would be good to knock Jessica on her ass for once.

"Fine, let's just do this. And do not tell Bill I was here. Got it?"

"Oh don't worry...I won't go running to daddy" she snapped back at her.

Brianna could feel Quinn's eyes glare at her, she had broken his first rule. Not letting her emotions take over her, she needed to control herself. But she was going to have a little fun at this as well. Taking her taught stance as she knew that Jessica was older and faster than her, but she would put up much of a fight as she could.

Taking off at full speed as she charged at Jessica hurling through the air as she landed a full pelt kick to her stomach as she landed swiftly on her feet, her arms ready for an attack.

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:07 am

She rolled her eyes at Brianna's smart comment and shook her head. She wanted to train...but had she known this she would have stuck with the training dummy at her place. Quinn was skilled and she wanted him to train her, but evidently he was too busy for her these days...or things really had changed. She tightened her pony tail and licked her lips, getting ready to attack. She narrowed her eyes and smirked when Brianna started first. She looked back at Quinn and made a face, turning back to look at Brianna as she rammed her foot into her gut, throwing her back against the wall. She fell on her ass and ignored the pain in her side, instead growling in her throat. Fine, she wanted a fight, she got one.

She got to her feet quickly and inhaled slowly, blowing out a slow breath as she studied Brianna's movements and her stance. She was ready to defend herself...Quinn had trained her in combat. Balling her fists, she shook her body out to focus and nodded. "You wanna try that again, princess?" She watched as Brianna went to do it again and ducked, avoiding her kick. She spun one of her legs and it landed across Brianna's back, hard. Her teeth were clenched hard as she fought through her pain.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 12:00 pm