For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

Death Does Not Come For Immortals

Bill Compton
    Bill Compton
    King
    King

Death Does Not Come For Immortals Empty Death Does Not Come For Immortals

Post by Bill Compton Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:26 am

Sometimes he got caught up in remembering the past. The past of his former life that he had enjoyed as a human. The joys of seeing the rise rise beyond the hills. The smile of his wife Caroline, her eyes as bright as the morning sun on a cold winter's day. Too feel the sunlight against his skin, the morning dew between his rough fingertips. Anger is easier than sorrow, and he went on rampages, destroying furniture, walls, windows, if they were inside - tearing up fields and small trees if they were not.

The tension threatening to break me
    I wonder if I'll emerge to see
    Yet another fearsome place

I only yearn for some more space
    To find a rock and in the lee
    Sit and ponder a mystery
    And hope to break this furious pace

But yet no hope before me stands
    I sit alone
    My thoughts my own
    Can only dream of other lands

I look down at my shaking hands
    And know I can call no place home

He often damaged himself and craved the pain, only he healed when what he had ravaged did not. Lorena was amused.

The were in Kentucky when he stepped off a high cliff. He had been only a few weeks made and didn't know better. She sat on a nearby boulder and watched as he agonizingly twisted and popped back together.

"Is it the war that has made you unstable?"

"I survived," he said. He was shamed for doing so when so many others, all his friends, did not. He had become sick of the dirty copper smell and sight of blood, and now he couldn't live without the taste of it.

Four nights after his stupid attempt they came upon an abandoned mine which opened on a twenty-foot-deep open pit. She returned early the next evening with a small child and climbed out alone, dragging their ladder up behind. He hadn't fed the previous nights and threw himself at the rock-encrusted walls, snarling, shredding his fingers and hands trying to get out. He has no idea why she freed him before he killed the terrified boy.

"Next time you try to destroy yourself, I won't let you out. If ever you should succeed it will be me who takes children, including your own."

She taught him then how to drink without causing pain and death, and the various ways he could be weakened or killed. For months afterwards she was his mentor, his only friend, his ardent lover. When she let him, he discovered enjoyment in solitary wanderings - exploring the limits of his increased senses of taste, smell, sight and sound. His new "life" began to be bearable.

If he didn't dwell on the past - his childhood, his parents, his sister, his wife, his children . . . William Thomas Compton. Was no more.

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:12 am