For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

In the Cold Light of Morning

Barbara Pelt
    Barbara Pelt

In the Cold Light of Morning Empty In the Cold Light of Morning

Post by Barbara Pelt Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:20 pm

*I stir from sleep, stretching slightly not to walk Gordon who is holding me tight. I look at his relaxed face seeing the boy I feel in love with, the man who protects me and the lover who pushes me past my limits. I gently lift his arm sliding off the bed grabbing my robe off the settee at the end of the bed sliding it on, I amble into the bathroom washing the sleep from my face, and brushing my teeth. I head downstairs to clear up last nights aftermath, and the forgotten dinner dishes. I muse thinking has our marriage caught a new breath of fresh air? I flush thinking of what happened on that granite island. I grab a tray out of the pantry to clear up the dinner dishes left overnight on the table. I carry them to the sink sitting them in it. I walk over to the desk picking up the bar-stool and replaced it at the island. I pick up the forgotten clothing and carry them into the laundry room throwing them in a hamper. I grab a cleaner and wipe down the island removing any traces of last night. I fight off a shiver of desire. I walk over to the refrigerator getting out bacon eggs milk and some cheese, to make Gordon an omelet. I lay them next to the cook-top, I pour myself some coffee from the automatic coffee maker. I take a sip of the slightly bitter chocolate flavored chicory, I make a mental to do list for today. I walk back to the drawer where the pans are kept grabbing one sitting it on the cook-top, turning a knob listening to the clicking of the ignition to turn the gas into flame. I add a few strips of bacon to the pan listening to the sizzle. I place the cooked bacon on a strip of paper toweling to let it drain. I crack several eggs into a bowl to scramble them I pour them into the bacon greased pan stirring them to fluff and cook, I lift the pan off the cooking element to swirl the uncooked egg adding it back to the element. I walk over to a cabinet pulling out a plate, sitting it next to the cook-top I add the cheese to melt on the softly cooked eggs, laying the strips of bacon inside, I slide the egg partially out of the pan onto the plate flipping it over. I walk over to the toaster reaching for the loaf of bread sliding four pieces in to brown. I reach over for the butter dish sitting it on the island with the omelet. I grab a knife and fork out of the drawer. I walk over to the buffet to grab a cloth napkin to sit the knife and fork on. I hear the toast popping up I place two pieces on the plate and I add 2 pieces to another plate, grabbing out the homemade jam of the refrigerator. I take another mug pouring it full with coffee. I walk to the bottom of the stairs calling Gordon for breakfast.*

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:35 pm