For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

2 posters

Rest in Peace

Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Rest in Peace Empty Rest in Peace

Post by Sam Merlotte Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:07 pm

He looked at himself in the mirror of the bedroom, adjusting his tie. Blowing out a breath, he looked down at his cuff links and straightened them out. The Mayor had died a few days ago and today was his wake and funeral. His wife asked that he be there. He still hadn't gotten around to reading the letter that was left in his will for him. To his surprise, Mayor Newman's lawyer had come to the bar and gave him a sealed envelope that was ordered to be given to Sam Merlotte in the event of his passing. He had it in the inside pocket of his suit jacket. Clearing his throat, he tried to gather his thoughts together.
    Nicole Wright
    Nicole Wright

Rest in Peace Empty Re: Rest in Peace

Post by Nicole Wright Sat May 03, 2014 5:09 pm

She stared at herself in the mirror in their bathroom, her eyes looking over her face then down to her ever growing belly. It was getting bigger and bigger by the day now, and she was starting to not like it. She enjoyed being pregnant, for the most part, but she also missed her body; she had been small and fit before. Now she felt like a beached whale, and had no idea how or why Sam kept telling her how sexy she was.

"Oh well," she muttered quietly as she rubbed her hands over her stomach and walked into the bedroom to see Sam standing there staring at the mirror.

"Penny for your thoughts?" she asked quietly while walking up behind him and kissing the back of his neck.
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Sat May 03, 2014 5:14 pm

He heard her and blinked, brought back to reality. Clearing his throat, he turned as wrapped his arms around her. Kissing her temple, he smiled. -Nothing. Just thinking about the mayor. His wife asked if I'd say a few words. I'm not sure I can do that.-

He pulled back to look her over and grinned. -Have I told you how beautiful you are today? Because you are glowing.- he smiled as he placed his hand in top of her growing belly.
    Nicole Wright
    Nicole Wright

Post by Nicole Wright Sat May 03, 2014 5:28 pm

She blushed and smiled up at him as he rubbed her stomach.

"I feel fat and ugly. And bloated. But thank you."

Ignoring his scoff, she met his gaze and offered him a happy, encouraging smile.

"You can do it, Sam. I know you can. You have a way with words. I mean.... We knew each other for a few hours, and I got pregnant." She chuckled and reached up to touch his cheek. "You got this."
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Sat May 03, 2014 5:32 pm

He scoffed at her remark and was about to protest her opinion, which was far from the truth. He gave her a look instead as she spoke and offered him encouragement.

Shaking his head, he grinned. -well nice to know if I need to talk my way into getting everyone in bed, I'll do fine.- he teased her.

Kissing her forehead, he blew out a breath. -ready?-
    Nicole Wright
    Nicole Wright

Post by Nicole Wright Sat May 03, 2014 5:51 pm

She grinned and linked her arm with his before nodding. "Let's do this."

Together, arm in arm, they walked to the Jeep; he held open her door so that she could get in and closed it. As he walked across the front, she watched him and smiled. He had become everything she hadn't known she wanted. He loved her, treated her like a queen, and was so excited about their baby that he was like a little kid most days.

He slid into the car and she grinned over at him. "I love you, Sam. And I have the utmost faith in you." The thought of this being Sam's funeral came over her and she tried to push it away, refusing to let tears fall. It wasn't Sam's. It wouldn't be his. Not for a long time. She hoped.
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Sat May 03, 2014 6:50 pm

He smiled and started the jeep, driving towards the funeral home. He held onto her hand and the ride was silent, but he was thankful. It gave him time to get his thoughts together and prepare himself for being around so many strangers. He had tried all he could to save the man and failed, even though the mayor's wife thanked him and made him feel like what he did was enough, he didn't feel like it.

After pulling into the parking lot, he looked over at her. -Not sure I'm ready, but guess it's now or never.- He unbuckled his seat belt and went around to her side to help her out. Locking up the jeep, he headed inside and signed the guest book. Immediately he was greeted by some of the colleagues he had met at city hall, spending so much time there.

"Sam Merlotte, glad you could make it. How've you been. Anderson spoke highly of you." He shook the man's hand and smiled.

-Oh thank you. I uh...well, he was a great guy too. Loved helping him out.- Looking over at Nicole, he smiled. -Sorry, this uh is my...my girlfriend, Nicole.- he whispered by her ear to let her know who the man was. -Council member Evans.-
    Nicole Wright
    Nicole Wright

Post by Nicole Wright Sat May 03, 2014 7:18 pm

She nodded, thankful that he had let her know who the man was.

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Evans. I'm sorry that it's under these circumstances." She held out her hand to shake his, and smiled internally that he had a nice, firm handshake. Something about people with weak ones always made her wary. She stepped away slightly so that Sam could speak to the man, letting her eyes wander around. She hated funerals. Hated saying goodbye, even though she knew it was inevitable.

She gently put her hands on her stomach and watched, not wanting to interfere with their conversation, but wanting to get off of her feet; the day was warm, and her feet were swollen.
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Sat May 03, 2014 7:25 pm

He placed his hand on the small of her back as Evans shook her hand. After talking briefly, he excused himself to help Nicole to her chair. He could tell she was uncomfortable and wanted to make her as comfortable as he could. Taking two chairs in the back of the room, he excused himself from her to go pay his respects.

At the coffin, he said a small prayer for Mr. Newman and went to turn. Mrs. Newman stepped closer to him and hugged him. "Thank you Sam. For coming I mean. I know he liked you." Sam smiled and hugged her back.

-How ya holdin' up, cher?-

"As well as can be expected I suppose. Stubborn man. He'd been having chest pains for weeks and refused to go see someone." She shook her head and smiled softly. "That was my Andy though. Stubborn."

-I meant what I said. If I can do anything for you...don't hesitate.-

"Make him proud Sam. Save this town. He loved this town, just as much as you do. But...he didn't have the...special skills you have to do it. I know you can do it Sam. He'd want you to."

Sam lowered his head and nodded. -I'll think about it, Mrs. Newman...but I can't promise.-
    Nicole Wright
    Nicole Wright

Post by Nicole Wright Sat May 03, 2014 7:35 pm

She watched from her seat, knowing that he was uncomfortable. And she had a good idea of what it was; he was nervous about running for mayor. He was nervous about having the responsibility and disappointing the people of Bon Temps. But he didn't understand that people in this town adored him; he made them happy and most of them came to him at Merlotte's for help.

He didn't realize just how integral he was to this town, and she hoped that soon... he would.
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Sat May 03, 2014 7:44 pm

"Well Sam you think real hard. This town needs you. Andy had faith in you, full faith. And so do I." She smiled softly at him and he returned the smile.

-Thank you Mrs. Newman. You are too kind.-

He gave her one last hug before he told her he would be in the back with Nicole. She gave Nicole a little wave and looked at Sam. "She's a beautiful girl. Congratulations, too. Andy told me you're going to be a father."

Sam smiled bigger and nodded. -Yes, yes I will. Sometime this Fall we think.- She pat his shoulder. "Good luck. But you'll manage just fine." She said with a wink. He smiled and went back to where Nicole sat, slipping his hand into hers and linking his fingers with hers.
    Nicole Wright
    Nicole Wright

Post by Nicole Wright Sat May 03, 2014 7:57 pm

"How'd that go?" she asked as he sat next to her and linked their fingers; he seemed nervous. She wished he'd relax.

She got quiet as the preacher stepped behind the pulpit, knowing what was about to come. He would give a eulogy and then others would speak, including Sam. She gave his hand another squeeze and smiled softly. "You'll do fine."
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Sat May 03, 2014 8:10 pm

He nodded. -Went well...- He was about to speak more but the preacher began his sermon. Sam squeezed her hand in return and listened to the preacher speaking. Halfway at least. His mind was reeling with things. After the sermon the preacher called Sam's name and everyone looked at him. He was still staring into space. Feeling Nicole nudge him, he blinked rapidly and looked over at her. She was giving him a look and he turned his head to see all eyes on him.

-Oh!- He smiled and stood, walking to the front where the podium was. Clearing his throat, he tried to speak from his heart. He had no speech prepared.

-Anderson Newman was a great man. He was a great friend, and a great Mayor of this city. We've been through some tough times as a community, but somehow always managed to recover and pull through. With Mr. Newman, everyday was a lesson and only one day closer to the next day. I looked up to him, and in the short while I was able to work alongside him to make this community safe, I learned a lot more about myself and what it takes to be a leader. I'm not sure anyone could replace him, but I do know I wouldn't be able to fill those shoes. We lost a great man and all I can do is hope that he rests in peace.-

He felt a bit odd from his speech, maybe it was too impersonal. But really, what did you say about a man who died?
    Nicole Wright
    Nicole Wright

Post by Nicole Wright Sat May 03, 2014 8:16 pm

She looked up at him and nodded, offering a small smile to let him know that what he said was good. There wasn't much she could do to help; he was the one that knew Mr. Newman, not her. But she thought that his speech was perfect.

Her eyes went to him as he stepped from behind the pulpit and headed back towards their seat. She patted his chair and lay her head on his shoulder as he sat down. "It was perfect, babe," she whispered before kissing his cheek.
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Sat May 03, 2014 8:24 pm

He smiled and held her hand as a few other speakers spoke and said their peace. After they spoke, he stood and walked outside for some air with Nicole at his side. He was stopped by a few council members, including Mr. Evans. "Sam, have you thought about running?"

-Running?-

"yes, for Mayor. The other council members and I agree that you'd be a great candidate."

-Thank you for your support but I uh...I really rather not discuss that here. I mean, we just lost Mr. Newman and you want me to try to replace him?- He didn't get it. He was not even buried yet and they were trying to fill his seat.

"I understand that. I just know if anyone, it would be you he'd want in his position. Just think about it."

Sam sighed and nodded. -Yeah...sure.- He watched them walk away and shook his head, turning to look at Nicole.

-Jeez, not even cold yet and they want me as the new mayor. Really?-
    Nicole Wright
    Nicole Wright

Post by Nicole Wright Sat May 03, 2014 8:36 pm

She shrugged her shoulders and grabbed his hand.

"It makes sense. They're going to need a new mayor. And you're a good choice."

Their eyes met and she smiled.

"I think you should do it. And I'm behind you 100% ."
    Sam Merlotte
    Sam Merlotte

Post by Sam Merlotte Sat May 03, 2014 8:38 pm

He blew out a breath and thought about what she said. -I just don't know, Nicole. I just...don't.- He checked his watch and knew that he had to see Bill again soon about their plan. Who he was supposed to tell about it to gain approval, he had no idea. But for now, they had to continue with the plan to protect the town.

-But knowing you're behind me....well, that makes it a little easier.- He grinned and kissed her cheek. He didn't know if he wanted to or could do the job. Hell, he had just sold the bar. The one thing he had always wanted. He was still trying to find himself and find where he needed to be. Maybe this was it?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 8:48 pm