For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

Betrayal and a Lesson Well Learned

Salome Agrippa
    Salome Agrippa

Betrayal and a Lesson Well Learned Empty Betrayal and a Lesson Well Learned

Post by Salome Agrippa Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:28 pm

Talking with William and dancing for him always dredges up the past, Salome thought as she sat at her mirror. It is not as painful to think about as it once was. The humans made her look to be the Whore of Babylon while nothing could be farther than the truth. Looking at her reflection, she can almost see the past in her own eyes.

Betrayal and a Lesson Well Learned The_sc10

Herodian dynasty - 34 a.d. – The Palistinian provinces of Galilee and Perea - Royal Estate Courtyards

“Mother, I do not understand. Why have the servants dressed me like this? I cannot be seen this way. Please…Mother….”

“You will do as I have commanded, Salome, my daughter. We must secure the favor of your father’s brother. This is the only way he will agree to what I must ask of him.”

“Mother, I do not understand. What is expected of me? Please….”

Salome can feel the tears running down her cheeks. She is rushed by the servants into her uncle’s private rooms and locked within. She can smell the stink of his body and the heavy incense that he uses to try to hide his stench. Looking through the dim light from the candles, she can see him lying out in the bed. He motions her closer, leering at her through the transparent scraps of cloth she is dressed in. She cannot help but shudder, which only seems to please him more.

“Come closer child. You are mine to do with as you please. Your mother’s gift to me. You will come and share my bed, and so much more. We will explore much together this night. Dance for me, child…dance for your uncle. Dance for your lover.”

Salome cannot believe his words and shakes her head. She cannot risk trying to do as he asks. The cloth wrapped around her body is barely staying on as it is. If she were even to try moving like he asked…she decided to try using guile.

“I do not know how, Uncle. Perhaps you would like me to summon one of the dancing girls from the pleasure gardens? I can be very fast at it, Uncle….”

One look at his expression tells her that her plan has failed. The flat gaze in his eyes makes her tremble with fear. One of the scarves falls to the floor, revealing her belly. She can see the pleasure and hunger in his eyes as the cloth falls away. She knows that she has no choice now. She motions to the musician in the corner and he begins to play a slow rhythmic beat. Knowing her life and that of her mother may well depend on her success drives her to be bold. She is careful of her movements, trying to keep from dropping more of the scarves. To her fear and sadness, one by one the scraps continue to fall from her young body. Little by little her skin is revealed. Her uncle’s lecherous grin widens with every scrap.

Too soon, she is left dancing with nothing but air between them, though thankfully still out of his reach. She breathes a quiet prayer as he slides further onto the bed, bringing the fear of his touch farther away. When he motions to the musician, the young man stops playing and exits the room. She hears the bolt sliding into place, sealing her in the room with her uncle. She knows, in idea but not in act, what is expected of her now. It is the one thing she feared.

Guile failed her, and agreement simply drove her deeper into this trap. Perhaps another tactic was needed.

“Sweet uncle, I, untouched and pure, would be valuable in the forging of treaties. Please, my uncle, allow me to bring you another. I will p..p..pick her myself. She will be almost me, but far more skilled, my uncle. I would not wish a moment of lust to damage a valuable asset in the political games. Shall I go and get her?”

The flat gaze he leveled at her told her all she needed to know. Numbly, she slowly walked to the bed, joining him in it. The cloth of the sheets was cool against her skin. She tried to focus on that instead of thinking about what would now take place.

Shaking her head clear of those cobwebs memories always seem to bring, she smiles at herself. She was so naïve back then. She did not understand how much power and control the pleasures she could bring to bear could give her. She had well learned that lesson. When she was freed from her uncle’s chambers, blood smeared on her thigh as proof of the deed, her mother was there waiting and whispering in her ear. She presented her mother’s demand and then understood what prize her innocence has bought.

From then on, she understood and used a woman’s way of influence in ways that startled even her mother. Perhaps that is what caught her Maker’s eye. She had already lived beyond her husband and was seen as old at only twenty-four. Her mind was still quick, and she had increased her fortunes a hundred fold half a dozen times. She was a force to be reckoned with in the province. Sighing softly, she picked up her brush and began her ritual once again…

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:34 pm