For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

2 posters

Christmas Memories

Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry

Christmas Memories Empty Christmas Memories

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:35 pm

I remember a time when Christmas was my favorite holiday. Starting right after Thanksgiving dinner, Daddy would go up into the attic and retrieve all the boxes of Christmas decorations Mama had saved. Eden and I would sing along with the Christmas songs on television as Mama made some eggnog and hot cocoa for us. It was the first sign that Christmas was coming. The next day we’d go out and select the perfect blue spruce that smelled just like fresh pine. Eden and I would take turns hitting the bark with an axe and giggle while doing it. Once it was loaded on Daddy’s ford we headed home to dress it up. Mama would hang Christmas décor all over the house, place knick-knacks along the mantle and hang our stockings on the hooks. Daddy would help us hang ornaments on the tree, usually getting tangled in lights while we laughed at him getting frustrated with the untangling part. Once everything was done we’d sit all together and look at everything. It was the most normal time where it felt like a family, not where Christian rules and beliefs were being forced upon us. Mama’s soft voice would fill my ears as she sang ‘Holy Night’ until Eden was passed out and my eyes were heavy. December was still a few days away but we were ready and waiting for it.

Now I look out the window, still no snow on the ground. It’s Louisiana, a place where snow is not something you see often, if at all. It hadn’t felt much like Christmas since everything that had happened. Since I left my old life behind, I missed my human parents and sister so much, especially with times like this. I felt the tear fall from my eye as I quickly wiped it away. I had so much more now, I had Bill…I had Quinn. I had a friend in Kiara. All of them in my life meant so much to me, but I still held onto that final piece of my old life and refused to let it go. The radio was playing silently in the background when I heard the notes playing of a familiar song, it brought a smile and more crimson tears.

♪♫♪Oh Holy night, the stars are brightly shining…..♫♪♫

I wiped my tears away and began to hum along with the song, remembering my Mama and the way she sang it to us. The best Christmas gift I’d received this year was Quinn and his health. Seeing him recover from that horrible state he was in, was more than I could ever ask for. Having the maker bond with Bill renewed was also a plus. Quinn was in a meeting for his EEE Company when I stood and turned to Vincent to say I’d be back and not to worry. He looked at me sternly and refused to give me my keys. Either I took Zasha or I couldn't leave, not after all that had happened. "But this is personal. Really personal." He sighed and shook his head only obeying orders from Quinn. "Fine, but I drive." I said as I held out my hand and looked at Zasha who didn't argue, he knew better. He placed the keys in my hand and looked at Zasha, speaking another language and Zasha nodded. I had some things I needed to do, and I needed to do it now. "Come on, let's go." He followed me out as I reluctantly took him with me.

Christmas Memories Empty Re: Christmas Memories

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:02 pm

With Zasha in the passenger seat, I drove out to the highway as Christmas music continued to play on my car radio. It was like I'd never left home after I turned onto the road that led to my old house I lived in when I was human. I parked far enough away not to raise any attention to myself. Sighing and looking at Zasha as I explained. “I miss them. I promise I won’t go inside not like last time. I just have to see my family.” He seemed a little apprehensive about what I was doing. “You can watch me, but please just stay here. Trust me?” He sighed and shook his head. “You know if Mr. Quinn finds out I let you out of my sight—“ I held up a hand to stop him. “He won’t know. It will stay between us okay. Just please do this for me?” He groaned and I smiled, seeing he was caving. “Ten minutes tops Miss Hamby.” I squeed and hugged him tight. “Thank you thank you thank you!” I slowly got out of the car and sped over to the house I grew up in. I peeked through the window to see Eden singing with Mama to ‘Holy Night’ as I mouthed the words with them. Daddy stood at the fireplace looking into the flames. The stockings that hung on the mantle caught my attention. My stocking still hung, my ornaments still on the tree.

“I miss Jessie, Mama.” Eden said as she sat next to my mother who stroked her hair and forced a smile. “She’s been missing for a while now, Eden. We have to have faith the Lord is protecting her and we’ll see her again one day.” I covered my mouth to hold back the tears. I’d almost forgotten Bill had glamoured them all after the night I’d come here and sorta lost it on my daddy. He stayed silent, but with my vampire smell and vision I could see the tear on his cheek. I couldn’t see anymore of it as I sped back to the car and started the engine, letting the tears pour from my eyes. “Don’t ask.” Was all I said before heading back into town.

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:16 pm

Zasha stayed silent as I drove back into the city of Bon Temps. I was at a stop light when the pine smell caught my nose. Turning to see the tent with lights pointing to the small Christmas tree farm. I smiled and looked around before turning into the drive. Looking over at Zasha with a smile. "How does Quinn feel about Christmas??" He thought for a moment.

"I asked Mr. Quinn that once....Mr Quinn responded that he had never really had a reason to bother, since his family was in hiding."

I nodded and thought on his words. Seemed neither of us really had our real families around this time of year, only each other. I grinned and looked back at Zasha. "How are you with an axe?" He chuckled and shook his head. We were both on the same page as we exited the vehicle and headed into the farm to pick out a tree. "That one...that's perfect!" It was the most beautiful bluish green colored spruce, standing tall enough to look amazing in the main room of Quinn's place.

Christmas Memories Picea%20pungens-%20colorado_blue_spruce

The guards at Bill's had decorated the Manor earlier in the month like clockwork. But it didn't feel homey because we didn't do it ourselves. We were too occupied with what Victor was doing, and Bill had more work cut out for him with King business. I was determined to make this Christmas a new set of memories for all of us. Once Zasha had the tree tied down to the top of the car, I paid the man and smiled, feeling excited about getting it home.

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Zasha suggested we stop to get things to decorate it with, which made sense. So we did just that. I was beginning to feel better already, making sure to add tinsel, lights, ornaments, and mistletoe to the list. After two hours of shopping we were finally at the check out. With all the bags I had to carry, he came in handy after all. I needed the extra hands with all the bags we carried. We shared a laugh and all my sorrows slowly wiped away at the joy I felt with surprising him. I'd even managed to find something beautiful to wrap for him later. As we drove back to Quinn's estate I looked at Zasha with a nervous smile. "Think he'll hate it?" Last thing I wanted was Quinn in a bad mood or me to be overstepping my boundaries. He sighed and shook his head. "That I cannot tell Miss Hamby. But I think the joy in your face will be enough to give him the same feeling." I giggled and shook my head. "Zasha, you always know what to say." Once we pulled in, I looked at Zasha and widened my eyes. "Here goes nothing....."

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:37 pm

We both got out of the car and began to bring bags in, Vincent looking puzzled as to what was happening. Quinn was still in his office and I placed my finger over my lips to silence Vincent. He nodded and followed us out seeing the tree. "Oh....heavens." Was all he said. "What? Bad? Good? He'll hate it won't he?" I began to panic a little as Vincent chuckled. "I have no idea. We haven't had a tree in his house in....I can't recall." I gaped at him and sighed. "Well we do now." I said confidently on the outside, but fearful on the inside. Zasha picked the massive tree up like it was some kind of prop that weighed five pounds and headed inside to set it in place, while I followed and began to open the bags to retrieve decorations. I handed some to Vincent and told him where to put it, and he joined in. I turned the volume of the radio up and sang along as I worked on wrapping the lights around the tree.

John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:47 pm

Quinn closed out the file on his tablet, setting it down on the desk...he heard music.... Christmas music...and Jessica.....singing? He walked down the hall, stopping by the bedroom to pick up a small package. He smelled the tree before he saw it. Seeing her dancing and singing make him chuckle...

"What's all this?"

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:50 pm

I stopped singing and dancing as I held the lights in my hand, Vincent and Zasha looking at me as I looked at the lights and then back up at Quinn. "I um...we...it was my idea....to decorate." He was chuckling and not clenching his jaw which was a good sign, but I couldn't be sure. I motioned to the tree and smiled. "I can take it all out if you don't like it."
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:51 pm

"Don't you dare, Jessica. If it makes you this happy, we might just have to get one to keep here all the time..."

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:53 pm

I smiled bigger and looked at Zasha and Vincent who smiled with me. Looking back to Quinn I set the lights down and walked over to him. "Not all year. Just Christmas." I giggled and wrapped my arms around him to hug him. "I just wanted it to be special." I whispered in his ear.
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:57 pm

Quinn smiled as she approached. He slipped his gift around her neck and closed the latch as she circled her arms around his neck...
    Christmas Memories Jessic10
    "Then we make a new memory with this year...one we can add to in the future..."

He kissed her deeply and looked deep into her eyes..

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:02 pm

I felt something go around my neck and then heard his words. I nodded and pulled away to look at him when he kissed me, looking deep into my eyes. Thank the gods I didn't need to breathe because he always took my breath away. I felt my hand go up to touch the item that hung around my neck and broke the kiss to look down. It was a golden locket style necklace with a small diamond in the center of a beautiful star. When you slide one side over it was a picture of us. Hand painted it looked like and I covered my mouth and looked back up at him. Holding back tears as I managed to choke out "Quinn...it's beautiful!" I looked back down at it and traced my finger along the photo. I'd always have him with me now, always close to my heart.
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:06 pm

"I'm glad you like it, Jessica.."

He smiled as she touched the pendant.

"Now let's get back to decorating your tree..."

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:12 pm

I smiled big and nodded as I grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the tree. "Wait there." I rushed over to the bag that held the Christmas tree topper. I pulled it from the box and walked back over to him, handing him the star.

Christmas Memories 810023273

"Traditions is the man of the house always places the topper." I smiled and looked back at the tree that was almost complete, just missing the top. It was almost like my heart, almost complete...and Quinn held the last piece. He always had. Vincent and Zasha were in great spirits as they watched with smiles.
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:21 pm

Quinn chuckled as she ran over to the bag...pulling out a large star and handing it to him. He chuckled as Zasha leaned the top of the tree down to make it easier to reach. Quinn placed the topper at the tip of the tray and watched as Zasha lifted the tree back into place.

He walked back over and kissed Jessica again, holding her as they looked at the tree, just enjoying each other's company...

Post by Jessica Hamby-Fortenberry Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:26 pm

I smiled as Zasha helped him, knowing he was still recovering from his injuries. He placed the star on the top and then kissed me. I giggled and looked up at him. "The mistletoe is over there..." I said with a grin as I pointed to the arch to the left where the mistletoe hung.

I looked at Vincent and nodded. "Cut the lights." He nodded and turned the lights in the room down as the Christmas tree lit up the room. I laid my head on his chest and looked at the amazing sight. The white lights illuminating our skin as the small globe ornaments hung and reflected light off the surfaces. The star, the brightest part of it all, sat atop the tree proudly glowing with the intricate golden designs around the edges. I felt a million times better, still missing my human family but now I had my own traditions. Now I had Quinn..and Bill...and Kiara. And that was all I wanted for Christmas. It was perfect.

Christmas Memories Christmas-Tree

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:53 am