For the love of writing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A repository of stories

All writing is the property of their respective authors.
Come and explore stories beyond happily ever after

2 posters

Facing Down Family

Vincent Davis
    Vincent Davis

Facing Down Family Empty Facing Down Family

Post by Vincent Davis Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:14 am

Vincent read over the report from Nevada with irritation. He was glad to see the money they had invested in Northman's security had been put to good use, but the details had him agitated. He even sent word for confirmation that the report was completely accurate. He just shook his head as he read over it again. It was hard for him to believe it...
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Facing Down Family Empty Re: Facing Down Family

Post by John Quinn Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:18 am

Quinn woke up as the plane touched down Shreveport. He walked silently to the waiting car, climbing in. The car started and moved from the airport without waiting for him to say anything. He had gone over and over the events in Nevada and he was certain that he had made the right call, but could not help feeling guilty. Already, he could feel the craving...the hunger....the danger...

"Driver...take me home, but don't leave once we are there. I will not be staying long."

"Of course, Mr.Quinn. Anything you say."

The driver nodded, typing a message into the tablet mounted on the dash as he drove.
    Vincent Davis
    Vincent Davis

Post by Vincent Davis Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:21 am

Vincent's phone beeped as a message came in. He glanced briefly at the message and sent word through the house that every employee was to leave the premises until tomorrow morning. He frowned when he saw the last of the message...why was Mr.Quinn planning to leave again so quickly? what had really happened in Nevada that could have made him abandon Miss Hamby?
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:25 am

Quinn watched as they pulled into the front drive, noticing that everything was deathly quiet. He stepped out of the car and walked toward the door. Glancing back, he saw the driver on the phone briefly, and then to his surprise, the driver speed off down the road. What the hell was going on? He opened the front door walking into dead silence. Where was everyone? Perhaps it was just as well, less people for him to be a risk to...
    Vincent Davis
    Vincent Davis

Post by Vincent Davis Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:27 am

Vincent watched smugly as the driver abandoned Quinn at the front drive. The staff knew who really paid their checks. They knew he would not issue a command without reason. He was always the one that knew the right action to do. He prided himself on that. He watched on the monitors as Quinn wandered through the house, slowly making his way to the office. Vincent stood up as he entered the room.

"Mr Quinn....with all due respect....have you lost your bloody mind?"
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:32 am

Quinn walked into the office, seeing Vincent there. His presence gave Quinn both a moment of relief and concern. What if he lost control again like the incident in Shreveport before the flight? How could he live with harming the closest thing he had to family?

"Mr Quinn....with all due respect....have you lost your bloody mind?"

Quinn simply blinked...Vincent had never snapped at him like this. What the hell was going on?

"Excuse me?"

He dropped into his chair as he stared at Vincent in confusion.
    Vincent Davis
    Vincent Davis

Post by Vincent Davis Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:38 am

Vincent threw the file in his hand on the desk, spilling the contents across it. He looked down at Quinn and sighed.

"Until today, I have never had a reason to be ashamed to work for you, Jonathan Quinn. You abandoned her. In her condition. Unforgivable. If it had not been for Northman's guard in our payroll, she might have been left behind."

He slammed his palms down on the desk and glared at Quinn.

"What kind of imbecile have you become to leave her behind? She is the one who saved you from yourself. She brought you back, at great personal difficulty, from your addiction...and you abandon her. I have to say that I am ashamed to admit that I raised you if this is how you are going to act about those you profess to love..."
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:59 am

"What kind of imbecile have you become to leave her behind? She is the one who saved you from yourself. She brought you back, at great personal difficulty, from your addiction...and you abandon her. I have to say that I am ashamed to admit that I raised you if this is how you are going to act about those you profess to love..."

Quinn dropped his gaze, unable to look at Vincent. He nodded his head, agreeing with every word. He waited until Vincent stopped to take a breath before responding.

"Vincent...I am not arguing with you on my actions. I will own to them, but I had a reason. I was afraid. I might have killed her. A lot happened there...a lot I am not proud of doing. The only consolation I can give myself is that perhaps away from me, she will be safe. Victor was right about me all along. I am a beast, a killer....and nothing more. I am an addict and cannot be cured. The worst thing in the world for her would to be around me right now. I might have drained her in her sleep, and the scariest part is that I would probably have come up with some way to justify it."

He looked up to Vincent with tears in his eyes.

"I am not in control anymore, Vincent. I am not staying here, for your safety. I am going back to Bhopal. At least there, others will be safe. I am too dangerous a creature to be around until I get control of this monster inside me. I ask only one favor of you, Vincent. Let Grace know where I will be. Her research might help me find a cure.....for my demons."

Quinn stared at the shelf where the Book of Lilith that Salome had given him sat in it's case. That book had helped him from madness once...perhaps it could once again. He absentmindedly reached in his pocket, tracing a finger around the edges of the pendant that rested in it. It was like the one Salome herself had worn...a gift from her while she had used him for her own purposes. Even back then, he was little more than a weapon. He thought back, and remembered some of her words...

As your faith is strengthened you will find that there is no longer the need to have a sense of control, that things will flow as they will, and that you will flow with them, to your great delight and benefit.

He sighed and looked once again to Vincent. He wiped the tears from his face as his expression changed to one of resolve.

"Vincent, you will be taking over my affairs for the time being. The board can run the EEE during my absence. If Jessica wishes to, she may stay on and act in my stead. Keep her paycheck going to her accounts regardless. At least that is one thing I will not screw up."

He stood and walked over the the wall shelf, throwing the case on the ground and picking the book out of the debris. He held it in his hand and walked back to the desk, setting it down there and looking once again to Vincent.

"I am not proud of my choice, but I have to do what I must to keep those I care about safe. I know my leaving may cause, and may already have caused, Jessica some pain. It will be better for her. If I cannot get control of my demons, I will not be coming back, so her moving forward without me is best. Tell her to keep the ring...to remember the good times we did have."
    Vincent Davis
    Vincent Davis

Post by Vincent Davis Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:14 pm

"I am not proud of my choice, but I have to do what I must to keep those I care about safe. I know my leaving may cause, and may already have caused, Jessica some pain. It will be better for her. If I cannot get control of my demons, I will not be coming back, so her moving forward without me is best. Tell her to keep the ring...to remember the good times we did have."

Vincent nodded with his usual patience as Quinn spoke, then reached out a slapped him across the face.

"You think that leaving the world behind will fix you? You must be more of a fool than I thought. I don't know what happened to you in Nevada to shatter you like this, but you need to get yourself straightened out. I will do as you ask, but until you own up and are ready to face those you have hurt, this will be the last time I do something for you. Miss Mehra will be notified that you have returned to India. I will leave it to her discretion is she chooses to make contact."

He lifted Quinn's face to look in his eyes.

"I was proud of you before, like a father for his son. I will pray to the nine gods that that day returns, but know that there is at least one in this world that will never give up on you. You must do as you feel you must. I know you better than to bother trying to block your path. I will contact the Shreveport airport and make arrangements for a seaplane, fully fueled to be in your hanger. You can fly your own damn self there. I will have it stocked with all you need, at least to begin this path. I hope to be able to welcome you home when the time comes. Until then, keep yourself safe. I've almost lost you more times than I can count, usually to some damn foolish idea, but this on I can understand. Personal demons are the hardest ones to fight because they know our secrets. Be safe, and get better, Jonathan."

Vincent turned and walked from the room, unable to look into those haunted eyes any longer. He would make sure that Quinn had everything he would need, and more help than he realized. For now, however, he had a household to run. He made plans for moving forward with Mr.Quinn's wishes and sighed...this house was going to be very empty for a while.
    John Quinn
    John Quinn

Post by John Quinn Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:18 pm

Quinn watched, bewildered, as Vincent left the room. Somehow, that man still believed in him. He shook his head and began going over what he would need. He had to be gone before Jessica could regain her strength and come looking. Vincent would know what to say to her, and would not be a threat to her. Perhaps one day, he could forgive himself....and ask for hers. He looked to make certain vincent had closed the doors and reached into his drawer, lifting a false panel. He carefully lifted the vials out of the drawer, slipping them inside his coat before gathering a few things and sending for a car. He needed to crack this demon's back, but he would need the blood to make it somewhere he could face it alone...he hoped...he rested his hand on the book, trying to decide if he should take it or now...

"Cloie, if I ever needed you, it is now. I need fate's guidance in this path...."

He dropped the book in his pack and headed for the door. The car would be here soon. He threw his cell phone on the desk. He would not need it where he was going.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:02 am